Old Jan 12, 2015, 2:30 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Prospero
Here is a guide as to the best and worst seats in First, Club World, World Traveller Plus and World Traveller on the Boeing 787 Dreamliner. Please ask your questions here, and hopefully someone will be able to help!

NB. The new 787-8 configuration is covered in the separate BA Boeing 787-8 (with Club Suites): Which are the best seats? thread

The following 787 seat maps have been prepared for quick comparison and reference

MMB/Expertflyer Aircraft Codes:
788 = Boeing 787-8
789 = Boeing 787-9
781 = Boeing 787-10

Boeing 787-8
Type 78B
Three class: 35J 25W 154M
G-ZBJA G-ZBJB G-ZBJC G-ZBJD G-ZBJE G-ZBJF G-ZBJG G-ZBJH G-ZBJI G-ZBJJ G-ZBJK G-ZBJM (12)
2006 CW, 2010 WTP, 2010 WT and Thales IFE

Boeing 787-9
Type 789
Four class: 8F 42J 39W 127M
G-ZBKA G-ZBKB G-ZBKC G-ZBKD G-ZBKE G-ZBKF G-ZBKG G-ZBKH G-ZBKI G-ZBKJ G-ZBKK G-ZBKL G-ZBKM G-ZBKN G-ZBKO G-ZBKP G-ZBKR G-ZBKS (18)
2015 First, 2006 CW, 2010 WTP, 2010 WT and Thales IFE

Boeing 787-10
Type 78X?
Four class: 8F 48J 35W 165M; fitted with new Club World Suites
G-ZBLA G-ZBLB G-ZBLC G-ZBLD G-ZBLE G-ZBLF G-ZBLG (7)
2015 First, 2019 CWS, 2018 WTP, 2018 WT and Panasonic ex3 IFE

Boeing 787-8 seating comments
As an aside note: The lavatories on the aircraft have handles to open, rather than a push the door mechanism (as found on the 777). The flush also uses a sensor rather than a button. This has potential to cause confusion at an inopportune moment.

B787-8 Club World:
The front CW cabin is quieter, and better for service than the mid cabin.

1 & 2 D/F: There is no overhead locker space, as it is taken up by the crew rest. The foot stools on these seats are also at risk of being bumped by a trolley, although they are semi-protected.

3A & K: These are the official C-W-S recommended seats. They have a little extra room, and direct aisle access, as well as good window views.
6A & J: These are recommended, as they are the longest, and offer the greatest legroom, as well as being ideally positioned for getting off the aircraft.
6D & F: These also offer an extra 3 inches of legroom.
7A & K: These have a little extra room, and direct aisle access. Ideal for those wishing to sleep. Unfortunately, these seats do only have 2 windows, one fewer than other seats.

B787-8 World Traveller Plus:
Passengers use the WT toilets, which does require a walk back through one of the WT cabins.
If you are worried about catering/meal options, it is recommended to sit towards the front of the cabin, as this is where the service starts.
An interesting video trip report can be found here.

10A-K: Recommended due to the extra legroom.

B787-8 World Traveller:
BA 787 Economy Class Comfort & Health Warning

Reviews for World Traveller on the BA 787 (and indeed many other airlines) seem to largely agree the experience is not pleasant, with 9 seats across in a cabin more ideally suited for 8. The seat is smaller than the WT seat fitted to any other BA aircraft, and this can be felt, especially if you have broader shoulders. Seat pitch is also tight, at only 31 inches. The rear 5 rows are reported to have a slightly tighter pitch than the others.

30 A & K are to be avoided: the emergency exit infringes on your personal space both at upper body and foot level.
30B-J: Recommended due to the extra legroom.
HJK seats in rows 31 to 34 have 1’ more legroom than standard rows
A, C, D, F, H, K seats: an IFE box is under the seat in front of you, which infringes on legroom. Please see the photograph below.

Boeing 787-9 seating comments:
As an aside note: The lavatories on the aircraft have handles to open, rather than a push the door mechanism (as found on the 777). The flush also uses a sensor rather than a button. This has potential to cause confusion at an inopportune moment.

B787-9 First:
2K: Recommended by ThatT1Feeling. Quieter side of a/c and away from galley.
1E/F: Recommended for couples by All She Wrote.

B787-9 Club World:
7A/K: Recommended by CWS.

B787-9 World Traveller Plus:
No seats have limited recline.
21 A, B, J and K - Missing window (last window in cabin near row 20's head) + near toilets

B787-9 World Traveller:
The width of the WT seats on the B789 is marginally greater than on the B788 (owing to reduced aisle width on the former).

However...

BA 787 Economy Class Comfort & Health Warning

Reviews for World Traveller on the BA 787 (and indeed many other airlines) seem to largely agree the experience is not pleasant, with 9 seats across in a cabin more ideally suited for 8. The seat is smaller than the WT seat fitted to any other BA aircraft, and this can be easily felt, especially if you have broader shoulders.

A, C, D, F, H, K seats: an IFE box is under the seat in front of you, which infringes on legroom.
41A/K: No window.
43A/K: Increased space between seat & cabin wall.

Boeing 787-10 seating comments:
B787-10 Club World:
From porphyra's post:
6A/K window seats have one set of windows only, across the seat. The second further window adjacent to the screen/display that all other seats have is missing - this might be an issue for some people but I preferred it as there was likely less glare on the screen. The issue is that if you like to look out then you almost need to turn your head 90 degrees vs a slant 30-45 to look across the other window.

From corporate-wage-slave's post:
Bulkheads do have more vibration transmission compared to other seats, but that's almost looking for something to say. Essentially all CS is the same, with the only difference between window or middle seating.

B787-10 World Traveller Plus:
From Nil SeAnn's post:
All seats, even in the rearmost row 24, have very significant recline such that my head never fell forward during sleep.
20J/K have great legroom, but [20]D,E&F have even more legroom.
As I sat into 24F to try out the back row, a helpful F/A warned me that I would not be happy with the noise from the bathroom immediately behind the bulkhead to my rear. I thought to myself - how bad could it be? Well it was awful and I lasted about 10 minutes before moving again.
The toilet is oriented facing the rear of the plane and mounted to the WT+ bulkhead. I estimate it is probably only a foot or so from the back of the seat when fully reclined! If you plan an overnight flight I suggest you absolutely avoid 24D,E or F if you hope to get some sleep.

B787-10 World Traveller:

Far rear row of 48 does not recline.

Related threads:

Print Wikipost

Seating guide: Boeing 787 Dreamliner

Old Apr 28, 2018, 4:15 pm

Programs: BAEC GGL, BA Amex PP
Duplicate
Old Apr 29, 2018, 12:13 am

Originally Posted by S_W_S
Interesting, it's actually a night flight back from AUH, so I expect the service will be minimal.
Sadly it's still the old Club world service - it'll be interesting to see the difference, my first BA long haul was BA1 then back on a 744 in 62A, so this will be my first time in "old" Club World (on a newer aircraft!).

I've nabbed 7E now, so thanks for your insight.
fine seat. If you are traveling on the 13th I'm in 7A
Old Apr 29, 2018, 4:19 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, Honors Diamond
Originally Posted by Dubh
fine seat. If you are traveling on the 13th I'm in 7A
Travelling the day before, so I miss you by a day!
Old Apr 29, 2018, 12:41 pm
A13

Programs: BA Silver
deleted.

Last edited by A13; Apr 29, 2018 at 12:55 pm
Old Apr 30, 2018, 7:22 am

Programs: BA GGL; AA LT Gold; AS 100K; DL MM GM; Hyatt G*list, Hilton Diamond; SQ silver
Originally Posted by DeltaFlyingProf
It depends on the load. If they can fit everyone with leaving F empty, they will.
Originally Posted by qasr
Interesting.

My flight is currently J2 D0, so I'm guessing they'll need to use some F seats. Any idea if/when/how that happens and what I could do to get one one of those seats?
I am on LHR-CAI tomorrow and they opened up the F cabin about 36h before departure. I had selected seat 2A.
Unfortunately that seat has been marked as non-serviceable and now I have been thrown back to a J seat. GGL has not helped. I wish they'd move someone else with lesser status and give me another seat in the F cabin but that's a no-go apparently. First world problems, I know...
Old May 2, 2018, 7:35 am

Programs: BA GGL; AA LT Gold; AS 100K; DL MM GM; Hyatt G*list, Hilton Diamond; SQ silver
Originally Posted by DeltaFlyingProf
I am on LHR-CAI tomorrow and they opened up the F cabin about 36h before departure. I had selected seat 2A.
Unfortunately that seat has been marked as non-serviceable and now I have been thrown back to a J seat. GGL has not helped. I wish they'd move someone else with lesser status and give me another seat in the F cabin but that's a no-go apparently. First world problems, I know...
Just a quick update. The CCR staff was able to put me back in 2A, saying 'maybe they fixed the seat' and the seat was in perfect working condition, so no issue at the end.
Old May 5, 2018, 12:46 am

Programs: BAEC bronze
Aircraft change from -8 to -9 from Chennai

Hi all,

After a great first flight on a Dreamliner to Chennai last week en route to Sri Lanka for the honeymoon, sitting in row three, we now find ourselves back to row 13 for our return flight as it's being operated by a -9.

​​​​​​There isn't much choice left for window pairs on BAW36 on the 8th May according to the app, so would the best advice on here be to stay put and get Ł140 odd back for our having reserved our seats? We had booked in row three again and that whole front CW cabin is blocked for me/us.

I guess the main issue would be getting served last. Finally, does row 13 on the -9 afford the same leg room as row 3 on the -8?

Thanks very much.

PS, Mr Cruz, if you're reading this, I accidentally gave you a quid inside seat 3B on ZBJB last week. Enjoy.
Old May 5, 2018, 2:10 am

Programs: BA, Hilton
Originally Posted by BAW2

​​​​​​There isn't much choice left for window pairs on BAW36 on the 8th May according to the app, so would the best advice on here be to stay put and get Ł140 odd back for our having reserved our seats? We had booked in row three again and that whole front CW cabin is blocked for me/us.

I guess the main issue would be getting served last. Finally, does row 13 on the -9 afford the same leg room as row 3 on the -8?
Occupational hazard on the 787 fleet right now it seems, we suffered the same swap and seat move in Jan. (3 to 13) If rows 6 and 7 are unavailable, I'd personally stick with 13. View is not much unless you are fond of enormous expanses of wing, but we found space fine. Direct aisle access obv, which is a bonus.

I'd claim the refund and stay in 13. Do it after flying in case system moves you. Yes, it's a fair point about meal choice if you don't have status but why not look at it that you've still got a very decent seat pair and you've now got 140 quid for a proper meal
​​​
Old May 5, 2018, 8:10 am

Did row 30 have in seat entertainment like the other non emergency rows?
Old May 5, 2018, 8:25 am

Question 787-8 Exit Row 30- entertainment and food tray?

Hello,

I've just booked my seat on a flight from Nashville to London with British Airways on a 787-8.
I paid to get an exit row, row 30 on my way back. I cannot tell from pictures, but does this row have the same in seat entertainment as the other rows since there is no seat in front of you? Also is there some type of tray for food and drink?

Thank you,
Old May 5, 2018, 8:29 am

Originally Posted by Wilkins
Hello,

I've just booked my seat on a flight from Nashville to London with British Airways on a 787-8.
I paid to get an exit row, row 30 on my way back. I cannot tell from pictures, but does this row have the same in seat entertainment as the other rows since there is no seat in front of you? Also is there some type of tray for food and drink?

Thank you,
Both tray and screen will be fold out units built into the side of the seat in these rows. You'll have both don't worry

Per the information at the start of the thread, 30A and K are not recommended as the emergency exit door infringes somewhat. B/J are better options.

EDIT: In fact go to post 61 in this very thread for a pic of how the screens are configured
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/25624454-post61.html

Last edited by BertieBadger; May 5, 2018 at 8:37 am
Old May 5, 2018, 8:53 am

Oh perfect! We booked seats B and C, so We should have plenty of room. Going there we have the twin seats in row 39, H & J.
Old May 5, 2018, 9:01 am

Going there we have the twin seats in row 39, H & J.
Personally, I think that's a good choice for a couple, we sat there in Oct to EWR. The space down the side is really useful.

The 787 economy cabin has a bad reputation in these parts, some of which is admittedly deserved as the seat width is somewhat less than on e.g. a 747/777. Personally I don't mind the back that much, and especially a couple in a row of 2 you don't have the concern of 'overlapping' neighbours. I think you've got good seats both ways...

One point - in row 39 by the time the trolley reaches you they will have run out of meal choice and you'll likely get pasta or pasta!
Old May 5, 2018, 11:05 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Oh perfect! We booked seats B and C, so We should have plenty of room. Going there we have the twin seats in row 39, H & J.
I left Nashville last night to return home on BA222, so it's good to see you are looking at a booking. I can't add much to the specific questions you asked, other than that a fairly good IFE system is readily available in all seats. If you make a direct BNA-LHR-BNA booking, try to do it on BA.com if you can, you may get some upgrade offers to WTP, which I personally think is worth consideration, and adds nicely to any status you may find useful on AA or BA. More importantly, welcome to the BA forum Wilkins and welcome to Flyertalk, I hope that we will see more of you here, and that you enjoy the direct service from Tennessee to London. The Nashville thread (still being updated) is here:
New BA Routes 2018: Nashville, Tennessee (BNA)
Old May 5, 2018, 11:15 am

Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
If you make a direct BNA-LHR-BNA booking, try to do it on BA.com if you can, you may get some upgrade offers to WTP
Just to pick up on a point by one of the forum's most helpful contributors, I would echo this many times over.

I cut my BA teeth down the back of a 787 (38D for reasons which made sense to me!) but was able to avail of a few good upgrade offers in the BA app (known as POUG, see dashboard). I was typically paying around Ł180 or so for an upgrade to World Traveller Plus across the Atlantic. In my opinion money well spent, the 787 WTP cabin is compact, modern and has a chance of upgrades to business (CW).

It also started me on the road to BA frequent flyer status, but that's another story!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.