FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   British Airways | Executive Club (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club-446/)
-   -   Seating guide: Boeing 787 Dreamliner (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club/1645350-seating-guide-boeing-787-dreamliner.html)

ENTP Feb 21, 2015 2:58 pm

Originally Posted by umichguy (Post 24391640)
And done. Hopefully, I won't feel stupid when the whole cabin is empty when I turn up....;)

Edit to add, will also be my first time flying backwards...

Or think how jammy you'll feel when you see the poor sod in 2E ;)

Enjoy your flight

airb330 Feb 21, 2015 3:03 pm

I thought Can I help you stated no WTP seats had limited recline?

788 is really lacking in bathrooms for WT/WTP...

umichguy Feb 22, 2015 1:37 am

Originally Posted by airb330 (Post 24392001)
I thought Can I help you stated no WTP seats had limited recline?

788 is really lacking in bathrooms for WT/WTP...

Yep, from the reviews anyways, with regards to the bathrooms.

Did you fly on it?

airb330 Feb 23, 2015 8:47 am

Originally Posted by umichguy (Post 24393896)
Yep, from the reviews anyways, with regards to the bathrooms.

Did you fly on it?

Not until May on PHL-LHR. The whole layout on the 788 is 'off' IMO in comparison to other airlines; AA and QR have a more uniform layout, though they don't have a separate premium economy to accommodate either. I obviously don't design the interiors of aircrafts, so I could be way off base.

BA 787 Y/Y+: 1 bathroom per 46 passengers
BA 773 Y: 1 bathrrom per 37 passengers (Y+ shares with CW)
BA 772 (3-class) Y/Y+: 1 bathroom per 37 customers

Charlie Whiskey Mar 17, 2015 5:50 pm

Likely 241 seat allocation in CW?

Have booked two CW redemption seats to Montreal later this year on a 241. Any experience yet of which CW seats would ordinarily have been allocated to a non-status couple when OLCI is opened: I presume that there is a real risk of them being D and E or E and F?

Would prefer A/B or J/K or am I being too fussy? £130 seems a bit steep for peace of mind ..... :(

MPH1980 Mar 17, 2015 7:23 pm

There's no such thing as 'ordinarily' - it's going to come down to what seats have already been selected by those who have paid and those who have status.

If you're desperate for a window seat - pay the money. If you're willing to take the E middle - then wait and see.

My personal experience on the 787 routes I've been on says that windows go first, then the aisles next to them, then the middle sets.

nj49 Apr 1, 2015 1:00 am

Is anyone able to confirm the limited recline in row 13 of WTP?

On other aircraft I've always found the back row of WTP to have enough space before the bulkhead to recline fully. Is the 787 different?

Thank you.

ttama Apr 16, 2015 6:29 am

Sorry, wrong aircraft!

TabTraveller Apr 16, 2015 6:42 am

Originally Posted by airb330 (Post 24400190)
Not until May on PHL-LHR. The whole layout on the 788 is 'off' IMO in comparison to other airlines; AA and QR have a more uniform layout, though they don't have a separate premium economy to accommodate either. I obviously don't design the interiors of aircrafts, so I could be way off base.

BA 787 Y/Y+: 1 bathroom per 46 passengers
BA 773 Y: 1 bathrrom per 37 passengers (Y+ shares with CW)
BA 772 (3-class) Y/Y+: 1 bathroom per 37 customers

I'm not sure that is true. I've seen crew sending WTP pax back when trying to come foward to use CW loos.

orlando flyer Apr 16, 2015 7:04 am

Originally Posted by TabTraveller (Post 24673384)
I'm not sure that is true. I've seen crew sending WTP pax back when trying to come foward to use CW loos.

+1

Isn't there a sign stating WCs at rear?:confused:

ummgood Apr 28, 2015 8:39 am

I might be able to help on this thread. I am a lowly economy traveler with no status. I fly about 1 or 2 times a year between Austin and Europe. Last year I got within 2000 miles of having status but not quite enough. My company won't pay for business and the people who fly more than me can upgrade using their miles/status but since I fly infrequently I am stuck in economy. I am 6'4" and about 280 pounds. I am pretty solid and can wear clothes from the normal store but I am large from top to bottom. It is just the way I am built. Fortunately my company will reimburse for me to pay for exit row/bulk head seat costs on these flights so I pay the money to get the best seats.

The 787 is BRUTAL. My shoulders overlap into the seat next to me by at least 20% just because of my build. I try to book aisle seats and turn sideways to give room for the person next to me. With that said I have flown in economy on the 787 6 times now. Here is my take on the seats.

My favorite seat in economy is 20F. You have plenty of leg room because of the bulk head but the left armrest can be raised (it doesn't go flush with the seat but I can move it up or down to get it more comfortable). Fortunately the time I had this seat no one was next to me so I could turn into the middle seat. I had the arm rest up about an inch to give my leg some more room but not all the way up because it would bother my shoulder.

My next favorite seat is 30F due to the arm rest being movable as well. There is less leg room than 20F. The problem with middle seats in 30 is people are constantly trying to go back and forth in front of you to get to the other set of restrooms. There are smells and people constantly congregating in front of 30A-C or 30H-K and if a bathroom opens up on the other side people will try to switch over.

I would say all seats in 20 have about the same leg room. 30A-C and 30H-K have the most legroom. I can fully stretch out my legs without touching the bulk head (not possible on 20 or 30D-F). The problem is that extra leg room is used by EVERYONE to wait for the restrooms. You will have someone standing there the entire flight for the most part.

The problem with all seats on the bulk head except for 20 and 30F is the fixed arm rests. I am big and believe me it is impossible to get the remote out. I have to stand up and pull it out before the flight and let it hang. I have to tilt severely into the aisle to get the tray table out.

Thankfully on my next flight in June I am in WT+ in 10J. Then on my return I am in a AA 787 in the Main Cabin Extra. I'll compare the two when I return (I am sure WT+ is immensely better).

snowdog May 7, 2015 10:21 am

Having just completed a LHR-YYZ run in Y, I can only concur with all the negative feedback on the WT experience on this plane.

I am of 'normal' size (5'8", 165lbs) but for a flight of 7+ hours, these seats are pure torture. My seatmates and I engaged in some weird form of synchronized eating during the meal service, as if we all tried to eat at the same time we would end up having to contend with each others elbows as well.

Compounding matters was the crews inability to moderate the cabin temperature.

Not the best experience, but I can now strike that off the list for future consideration!

airb330 May 26, 2015 12:35 pm

Very tight back in WT!

While I flew in WT+, which was very nice, WT looked so cramped. Even my mother, who rarely flies, said it looked terrible. Using the lavs was a pain, because there is no easy access to both sides of the aircraft. You were stuck on your side, and my side just happened to have the 1 lav way in the back which was always difficult to access because WT passengers were up and out of the seats often. I don't blame them, because clearly it was due to the tightness. I flew a LGW 777 on PHL-LHR the week before and WT on that plane looked like heaven compared to the 787 sadly. I just find the aisles are so narrow in CW and WT!

I did find the air to be less dry though no one else in my group did. It was very quiet on takeoff, but in flight I didn't find it to be more quiet as the plastic seemed to rattle a lot. I heard a very high-pitched whine from the engines, which only half my group heard, but it was very noticeable to me when my Bose headphones were off.

BingBongBoy May 26, 2015 12:40 pm

I really dislike working on the 787…

Can I help you May 26, 2015 12:48 pm

I'm loving just flying on the B747 and B777, I knew that BA F up the A380 and B787. ;)
Because I only have the two aircraft I'm getting a great variety of good trips, couldn't be happier. :D