FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   British Airways | Executive Club (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club-446/)
-   -   Seating guide: Boeing 787 Dreamliner (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club/1645350-seating-guide-boeing-787-dreamliner.html)

GSTBK Jan 12, 2015 2:30 pm

Seating guide: Boeing 787 Dreamliner

Please add your questions and comments below.

Hopefully this thread will be of use.

AtlanticX Jan 12, 2015 4:18 pm

Thank you, GSBTK, excellent guide.

A, C, D, F, H, K seats: an IFE box is under the seat in front of you, which infringes on legroom. Please see the photograph below.
Having flown AUS-LHR recently (seat 22H), I can only chime in about the annoyance of the IFE box. This will easily take a quarter to a third of your available foot space. Anyone of any tallness, should seriously consider avoiding putting any carry-on in that space, if in regular Y.

This is about the only plane I know where one should seriously consider booking the middle seat.

A note on the toilets:
They're slight different from, for example, the 777. The bathroom has a handle to open, rather than a push the door mechanism. Also, the flush uses a sensor rather than a button. They're not rocket science to figure out, but going in without knowledge might cause confusion at an inopportune moment.

LostAntipod Jan 12, 2015 4:24 pm

Seating guide: Boeing 787

WTP Cabin: haven't flown it myself, but Mrs LostAntipod reports that the last row of WTP seats do not fully recline due to the cabin divider to the Y cabin. Quite annoying , as the seat in front ends up too close for comfort when reclined...when surely the point of paying extra for a WTP seat is to avoid this.

(Also the only lavatories WTP can use are the Y lavs at the rear of the plane)

Skipcool3 Jan 12, 2015 4:38 pm

I think it is only the window pairs in the last row of wt+ that have slightly restricted recline?
Regardless, if you are fussed about a choice of catering, try and sit near the front of Wt+ as that is where service starts!
Avoid the last 5 rows in WT as pitch is even less. If you have broad shoulders like me, find another way to get to your destination if your only option is wt!

GSTBK Jan 12, 2015 4:56 pm

Thank you very much for your comments. These have been added.

Skipcool3 Jan 12, 2015 5:03 pm

Good video trip report here
Video for youtube london to philadelphia british airways 787 world traveller +► 27:02► 27:02
www.youtube.com/watch?v=OF5jRH-OhoM

GSTBK Jan 12, 2015 5:06 pm

Originally Posted by Skipcool3 (Post 24153483)
Good video trip report here
Video for youtube london to philadelphia british airways 787 world traveller +► 27:02► 27:02
www.youtube.com/watch?v=OF5jRH-OhoM

Thanks- I've added it to the wiki.

Calum Jan 12, 2015 5:06 pm

Delated

Skipcool3 Jan 12, 2015 5:25 pm

Calum, pleased to hear that, but it is the narrow seats that are the real issue for most.
I don't think its about bashing the 788- the wt+ cabin is probably the best in the fleet.

When the 787 was first displayed with a mock up cabin at Waterside,
the wt cabin was 2-4-2

windowontheAside Jan 12, 2015 5:37 pm

I have my first 780 WT trip on Friday.

Can anyone advise about legroom in the first rows? Do seats 21ABC have less space than 20DEF? I think I read somewhere that's the case but would love to have that confirmed.

I'd prefer not to have my knees knocking a bulkhead with no option to stretch my legs a little so may forgo my usual window in favour of 20D or 20F.

I'm not a big fan of aisle seats and I know these aisles are narrow but would there typically be much traffic by the first row? I suppose there'll be more than one might think if the WT+ loos are at the back.

It's not a thrilling prospect, that's for sure.

Calum Jan 12, 2015 5:40 pm

Originally Posted by Skipcool3 (Post 24153613)
Calum, pleased to hear that, but it is the narrow seats that are the real issue for most.
I don't think its about bashing the 788- the wt+ cabin is probably the best in the fleet.

When the 787 was first displayed with a mock up cabin at Waterside,
the wt cabin was 2-4-2

I have nothing to compare it to but I found it very comfortable when I took it. However I do think 2-4-2 would be nice but I just don't see them changing it at this point. Nothing is confirmed for the 789 apart from the NGF so we'll have to wait and see. First delivery is in less then 9 months.

Calum Jan 12, 2015 5:43 pm

Delated

hugolover Jan 20, 2015 6:23 am

Disabled pax

Two of my friends will be travelling on the 788 on YYZ-LHR in WT. One friend is disabled required full assistance i.e. assistance getting onboard, onboard wheelchair to seat and use of it to get around the aircraft (Category 3). I'm trying to choose good seats for them. I noticed that 30D/F would probably be fine. It is close to the lav and it seems like E is blocked right now as all the bassinet seats seem to be blocked right in front of them. Of course this may change at the airport but in their experience it will be blocked for them because any pax thinking of seat swapping with 30 D/F will be out of luck. These do not count as the exit row being in the centre block.

The only thing that concerns me is the armrest are presumably fixed and they are quite big guys. Do you think these seats are a good choice?

windowontheAside Jan 20, 2015 6:31 am

I'm not sure the armrest will make much difference...if they are large build the fixed armrest will probably help contain them rather than spilling into their neighbours space. For me the bigger issue is the shoulder space. If they are of largish build they are likely to find they are wider than the seat.

I'm a 5ft10 woman and my shoulders are wider than these seats. It's a bit of a nightmare as there's really little to do about it save twist in the seat, or encroach on my neighbour - unless they happen to be a pretty normal build themselves in which case they'd be trying to encroach on me!

windowontheAside Jan 20, 2015 6:34 am

Originally Posted by Calum (Post 24153732)
My advise, go in expecting the worst flight of your life and you'll come out of it pleasantly surprised.

You were right about the legroom - it wasn't bad. I couldn't stretch out fully, but there was room to get by my neighbour.

I went in expecting a pretty grim flight, and to be completely honest, it was worse than I expected.

In terms of comfort on long haul flights it probably was my worst experience. I won't be taking the 787 any time soon in Y. And I fly Y a lot, and manage pretty well generally.