Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 12, 2015, 2:30 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Pochama
Here is a guide as to the best and worst seats in First, Club World, World Traveller Plus and World Traveller on the Boeing 787 Dreamliner. Please ask your questions here, and hopefully someone will be able to help!

NB. The new 787-8 configuration is covered in the separate BA Boeing 787-8 (with Club Suites): Which are the best seats? thread

The following 787 seat maps have been prepared for quick comparison and reference

MMB/Expertflyer Aircraft Codes:
788 = Boeing 787-8
789 = Boeing 787-9
781 = Boeing 787-10

Boeing 787-8
Type 78B
Three class: 35J 25W 154M
G-ZBJA G-ZBJB G-ZBJC G-ZBJD G-ZBJE G-ZBJF G-ZBJG G-ZBJH G-ZBJI G-ZBJJ G-ZBJK G-ZBJM (12)
2006 CW, 2010 WTP, 2010 WT and Thales IFE

Boeing 787-9
Type 789
Four class: 8F 42J 39W 127M
G-ZBKA G-ZBKB G-ZBKC G-ZBKD G-ZBKE G-ZBKF G-ZBKG G-ZBKH G-ZBKI G-ZBKJ G-ZBKK G-ZBKL G-ZBKM G-ZBKN G-ZBKO G-ZBKP G-ZBKR G-ZBKS (18)
2015 First, 2006 CW, 2010 WTP, 2010 WT and Thales IFE

Boeing 787-10
Type 78X?
Four class: 8F 48J 35W 165M; fitted with new Club World Suites
G-ZBLA G-ZBLB G-ZBLC G-ZBLD G-ZBLE G-ZBLF G-ZBLG (7)
2015 First, 2019 CWS, 2018 WTP, 2018 WT and Panasonic ex3 IFE

Boeing 787-8 seating comments
As an aside note: The lavatories on the aircraft have handles to open, rather than a push the door mechanism (as found on the 777). The flush also uses a sensor rather than a button. This has potential to cause confusion at an inopportune moment.

B787-8 Club World:
The front CW cabin is quieter, and better for service than the mid cabin.

1 & 2 D/F: There is no overhead locker space, as it is taken up by the crew rest. The foot stools on these seats are also at risk of being bumped by a trolley, although they are semi-protected.

3A & K: These are the official C-W-S recommended seats. They have a little extra room, and direct aisle access, as well as good window views.
6A & J: These are recommended, as they are the longest, and offer the greatest legroom, as well as being ideally positioned for getting off the aircraft.
6D & F: These also offer an extra 3 inches of legroom.
7A & K: These have a little extra room, and direct aisle access. Ideal for those wishing to sleep. Unfortunately, these seats do only have 2 windows, one fewer than other seats.

B787-8 World Traveller Plus:
Passengers use the WT toilets, which does require a walk back through one of the WT cabins.
If you are worried about catering/meal options, it is recommended to sit towards the front of the cabin, as this is where the service starts.
An interesting video trip report can be found here.

10A-K: Recommended due to the extra legroom.

B787-8 World Traveller:
BA 787 Economy Class Comfort & Health Warning

Reviews for World Traveller on the BA 787 (and indeed many other airlines) seem to largely agree the experience is not pleasant, with 9 seats across in a cabin more ideally suited for 8. The seat is smaller than the WT seat fitted to any other BA aircraft, and this can be felt, especially if you have broader shoulders. Seat pitch is also tight, at only 31 inches. The rear 5 rows are reported to have a slightly tighter pitch than the others.

30 A & K are to be avoided: the emergency exit infringes on your personal space both at upper body and foot level.
30B-J: Recommended due to the extra legroom.
HJK seats in rows 31 to 34 have 1’ more legroom than standard rows
A, C, D, F, H, K seats: an IFE box is under the seat in front of you, which infringes on legroom. Please see the photograph below.

Boeing 787-9 seating comments:
As an aside note: The lavatories on the aircraft have handles to open, rather than a push the door mechanism (as found on the 777). The flush also uses a sensor rather than a button. This has potential to cause confusion at an inopportune moment.

B787-9 First:
2K: Recommended by ThatT1Feeling. Quieter side of a/c and away from galley.
1E/F: Recommended for couples by All She Wrote.

B787-9 Club World:
7A/K: Recommended by CWS.

B787-9 World Traveller Plus:
No seats have limited recline.
21 A, B, J and K - Missing window (last window in cabin near row 20's head) + near toilets

B787-9 World Traveller:
The width of the WT seats on the B789 is marginally greater than on the B788 (owing to reduced aisle width on the former).

However...

BA 787 Economy Class Comfort & Health Warning

Reviews for World Traveller on the BA 787 (and indeed many other airlines) seem to largely agree the experience is not pleasant, with 9 seats across in a cabin more ideally suited for 8. The seat is smaller than the WT seat fitted to any other BA aircraft, and this can be easily felt, especially if you have broader shoulders.

A, C, D, F, H, K seats: an IFE box is under the seat in front of you, which infringes on legroom.
41A/K: No window.
43A/K: Increased space between seat & cabin wall.

Boeing 787-10 seating comments:
B787-10 Club World:
From porphyra's post:
6A/K window seats have one set of windows only, across the seat. The second further window adjacent to the screen/display that all other seats have is missing - this might be an issue for some people but I preferred it as there was likely less glare on the screen. The issue is that if you like to look out then you almost need to turn your head 90 degrees vs a slant 30-45 to look across the other window.

From corporate-wage-slave's post:
Bulkheads do have more vibration transmission compared to other seats, but that's almost looking for something to say. Essentially all CS is the same, with the only difference between window or middle seating.

B787-10 World Traveller Plus:
From Nil SeAnn's post:
All seats, even in the rearmost row 24, have very significant recline such that my head never fell forward during sleep.
20J/K have great legroom, but [20]D,E&F have even more legroom.
As I sat into 24F to try out the back row, a helpful F/A warned me that I would not be happy with the noise from the bathroom immediately behind the bulkhead to my rear. I thought to myself - how bad could it be? Well it was awful and I lasted about 10 minutes before moving again.
The toilet is oriented facing the rear of the plane and mounted to the WT+ bulkhead. I estimate it is probably only a foot or so from the back of the seat when fully reclined! If you plan an overnight flight I suggest you absolutely avoid 24D,E or F if you hope to get some sleep.

B787-10 World Traveller:

Far rear row of 48 does not recline.
The wall at seats 30A and 30K curves inward which limits the leg room for the leg closer to the wall. See post 1395 for photo.

Related threads:

Print Wikipost

Seating guide: Boeing 787 Dreamliner

Search this Thread

Old May 8, 2019, 7:19 pm

I don't know if it has been mentioned in this thread, but on 788 in WT seats 20DEF and 21 ABC HJK are bulkhead extra legroom seats. Since these are bassinet seats they can't be allocated online, recently called in about T-60 and got 21A on LHR-ICN.
Plenty of legroom (I'm 6'2"), but but seats are narrow and armrests don't lift.
If you're in 21ABC or HJK don't store your bag to locker above the seat. When curtain is closed between WT and WTP it blocks the locker and you can't access the bag until after landing.
Old May 15, 2019, 8:47 pm

Programs: $9 Fare Club
Y class pleb dialling in...

Out of all the non exit row WT seats on the 788 I'm guessing the 39 row is the best bet? Particularly the side (39J) opposite the lav?

Dreading this flight.
Old May 15, 2019, 9:55 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by ChurnieEls
Out of all the non exit row WT seats on the 788 I'm guessing the 39 row is the best bet? Particularly the side (39J) opposite the lav?
If you are a couple, and in particular if you suspect WT will be full, then yes the best seats would be 39H and J. However the J seat person won't be able to lean on the fuselage, there is a bit of a gap, though that can be used to stores things. 39B and 39C would be the same but there is a toilet directly behind. From what I can make out, people to tend to queue in the galley area behind, rather than by row 39, but if the cabin crew are making up the trolleys the queue would end up in the main seating area.

If you are a single passenger, then maybe you'll try and get an empty middle seat towards the back, and therefore depending on loads, looking at rows 35 etc.
Old May 16, 2019, 7:10 am

Programs: $9 Fare Club
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
If you are a couple, and in particular if you suspect WT will be full, then yes the best seats would be 39H and J. However the J seat person won't be able to lean on the fuselage, there is a bit of a gap, though that can be used to stores things. 39B and 39C would be the same but there is a toilet directly behind. From what I can make out, people to tend to queue in the galley area behind, rather than by row 39, but if the cabin crew are making up the trolleys the queue would end up in the main seating area.

If you are a single passenger, then maybe you'll try and get an empty middle seat towards the back, and therefore depending on loads, looking at rows 35 etc.
Thanks for this.

Not sure I want to gamble on an empty middle, I'm a single traveler but I might hold 39J and see if the Check In Agent offers anything to try get a couple in there. I'll have a think about 20/21 row for the return leg to the US.

Such a pity BA have diluted their standard economy product like this on the 787s.
Old May 19, 2019, 3:16 pm

Programs: BA exec, HHonors Diamond
First time in WTP on the 789. Very positive in the main. Had a bulk head seat, plenty of room.

Just kinda wondered if its the norm on the LHR-AUH to put the WTP/Econ in darkness some 3 hrs out from AUH? Flight arrives approx 23:00hrs local. Appreciate the ground lights in the image, it was, apart from a quick clearing of the detritus run before landing like this 3hrs before and on landing.

Last edited by Telecasterman; May 19, 2019 at 3:33 pm
Old May 19, 2019, 3:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci des Hommes Magiques et Magnifiques
When was that picture taken, it looks just before landing?
Old May 19, 2019, 3:36 pm

Programs: BA exec, HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by Can I help you
When was that picture taken, it looks just before landing?
Yeah CIHY. As I say the cabin was like this 3hrs before landing, lights up to the clear detritus then down again as shown for landing - pitch black in WTP / Econ
Old May 19, 2019, 3:54 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, Honors Diamond
When I flew to AUH last year I'm fairly sure the lights stayed on in W & Y for the whole flight, but from what I could see through the curtain the lights had been turned down in J.
Old May 29, 2019, 1:39 am

Hi all, flying BA122 from DOH to LHR on this Friday in WTP. As of now, most of Row 16, the first row of WTP is open. I am wondering are there any big advantaged of sitting in the first row? I think there is a leg rest? If there are benefits, do the fact that you have to stow your screen / can't have any items around your seat outweigh the advantages?
Old May 29, 2019, 1:47 am

Programs: BA Silver
Originally Posted by jah718
Hi all, flying BA122 from DOH to LHR on this Friday in WTP. As of now, most of Row 16, the first row of WTP is open. I am wondering are there any big advantaged of sitting in the first row? I think there is a leg rest? If there are benefits, do the fact that you have to stow your screen / can't have any items around your seat outweigh the advantages?
The obvious one is not having someone recline into your space.

WTP seats recline a lot and you lose most of the space otherwise available when the seat in front is upright. Based on my previous WTP experiences, if row 16 is available I personally would snap it up quickly if it is going to stick.

Some other more knowledgeable folks can probably answer whether or not you are likely to lose the seats later if someone needing the bassinet checks in.
Old May 29, 2019, 2:07 am

Originally Posted by SHT88T

The obvious one is not having someone recline into your space.

WTP seats recline a lot and you lose most of the space otherwise available when the seat in front is upright. Based on my previous WTP experiences, if row 16 is available I personally would snap it up quickly if it is going to stick.

Some other more knowledgeable folks can probably answer whether or not you are likely to lose the seats later if someone needing the bassinet checks in.
Thanks for the advice, decided to go for 16A for the window seat with easy access to the aisle. Tried to pick it and was told it is an infant seat and as such is unavailable! I don't get it, why don't they just block the seats then!

Anyway, looks like I am staying put.
Old May 29, 2019, 2:20 am

Programs: BA, Hilton
Originally Posted by jah718
Thanks for the advice, decided to go for 16A for the window seat with easy access to the aisle. Tried to pick it and was told it is an infant seat and as such is unavailable! I don't get it, why don't they just block the seats then!

Anyway, looks like I am staying put.
The implementation is not great online, but if you phone up between 48 and 26ish hours before departure they may well be able to allocate it to you. I understood bassinet seats can sometimes be allocated online via the RJ website, but I've never personally done that and I thought I'd read that there had been recent changes making this harder/impossible? Not sure on that one tbh - I always just phoned up.

Despite working my way forward, I'd still describe WTP as my "default" cabin, and I'd agree with the points made by SHT88T. The lack of someone reclining is a big plus for me, that easily outweighs the need to stow IFE for a short time. Also, you can get to the aisle without disturbing 16B, assuming a minimal degree of dexterity. Personally, I'd get on the phone and see if they can allocate it to you.

Yes, if a late booking with an infant comes along you'll be turfed out, but as has been noted, people travelling with infants generally don't do so on a whim. I would not let such a possibility dissuade you.
Old Jun 4, 2019, 1:03 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold
Hi, flying the BA0103 on 6th June, LHR - YYC. Noticed F cabin opened up for seat selection. Is it worth the gamble of moving? Research of this thread would suggest cabin will not be used and would be bumped back to CW cabin before departure, but any advice appreciated.
Old Jun 20, 2019, 2:27 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, TK Elite, HH Diamond
Hey lads,

on the 789, would you go for 13A/K or 7E(middle) seat? all have direct isle access, this is a day flight. Is the service better in the mini cab? Not too worried about the window as I'd only end up staring at the engines?
Old Jun 20, 2019, 2:55 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
I have never noticed any service difference.

If windows are not a factor, then the only difference is noise level, there would be less turbine noise in 7 but more galley noise.

Middle seats have an extra storage space on the port side which is accessible in flat bed mode as well as upright. There is also a ledge on top of that, so more elbow room.
W213Sal likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.