Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 12, 2015, 2:30 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Pochama
Here is a guide as to the best and worst seats in First, Club World, World Traveller Plus and World Traveller on the Boeing 787 Dreamliner. Please ask your questions here, and hopefully someone will be able to help!

NB. The new 787-8 configuration is covered in the separate BA Boeing 787-8 (with Club Suites): Which are the best seats? thread

The following 787 seat maps have been prepared for quick comparison and reference

MMB/Expertflyer Aircraft Codes:
788 = Boeing 787-8
789 = Boeing 787-9
781 = Boeing 787-10

Boeing 787-8
Type 78B
Three class: 35J 25W 154M
G-ZBJA G-ZBJB G-ZBJC G-ZBJD G-ZBJE G-ZBJF G-ZBJG G-ZBJH G-ZBJI G-ZBJJ G-ZBJK G-ZBJM (12)
2006 CW, 2010 WTP, 2010 WT and Thales IFE

Boeing 787-9
Type 789
Four class: 8F 42J 39W 127M
G-ZBKA G-ZBKB G-ZBKC G-ZBKD G-ZBKE G-ZBKF G-ZBKG G-ZBKH G-ZBKI G-ZBKJ G-ZBKK G-ZBKL G-ZBKM G-ZBKN G-ZBKO G-ZBKP G-ZBKR G-ZBKS (18)
2015 First, 2006 CW, 2010 WTP, 2010 WT and Thales IFE

Boeing 787-10
Type 78X?
Four class: 8F 48J 35W 165M; fitted with new Club World Suites
G-ZBLA G-ZBLB G-ZBLC G-ZBLD G-ZBLE G-ZBLF G-ZBLG (7)
2015 First, 2019 CWS, 2018 WTP, 2018 WT and Panasonic ex3 IFE

Boeing 787-8 seating comments
As an aside note: The lavatories on the aircraft have handles to open, rather than a push the door mechanism (as found on the 777). The flush also uses a sensor rather than a button. This has potential to cause confusion at an inopportune moment.

B787-8 Club World:
The front CW cabin is quieter, and better for service than the mid cabin.

1 & 2 D/F: There is no overhead locker space, as it is taken up by the crew rest. The foot stools on these seats are also at risk of being bumped by a trolley, although they are semi-protected.

3A & K: These are the official C-W-S recommended seats. They have a little extra room, and direct aisle access, as well as good window views.
6A & J: These are recommended, as they are the longest, and offer the greatest legroom, as well as being ideally positioned for getting off the aircraft.
6D & F: These also offer an extra 3 inches of legroom.
7A & K: These have a little extra room, and direct aisle access. Ideal for those wishing to sleep. Unfortunately, these seats do only have 2 windows, one fewer than other seats.

B787-8 World Traveller Plus:
Passengers use the WT toilets, which does require a walk back through one of the WT cabins.
If you are worried about catering/meal options, it is recommended to sit towards the front of the cabin, as this is where the service starts.
An interesting video trip report can be found here.

10A-K: Recommended due to the extra legroom.

B787-8 World Traveller:
BA 787 Economy Class Comfort & Health Warning

Reviews for World Traveller on the BA 787 (and indeed many other airlines) seem to largely agree the experience is not pleasant, with 9 seats across in a cabin more ideally suited for 8. The seat is smaller than the WT seat fitted to any other BA aircraft, and this can be felt, especially if you have broader shoulders. Seat pitch is also tight, at only 31 inches. The rear 5 rows are reported to have a slightly tighter pitch than the others.

30 A & K are to be avoided: the emergency exit infringes on your personal space both at upper body and foot level.
30B-J: Recommended due to the extra legroom.
HJK seats in rows 31 to 34 have 1’ more legroom than standard rows
A, C, D, F, H, K seats: an IFE box is under the seat in front of you, which infringes on legroom. Please see the photograph below.

Boeing 787-9 seating comments:
As an aside note: The lavatories on the aircraft have handles to open, rather than a push the door mechanism (as found on the 777). The flush also uses a sensor rather than a button. This has potential to cause confusion at an inopportune moment.

B787-9 First:
2K: Recommended by ThatT1Feeling. Quieter side of a/c and away from galley.
1E/F: Recommended for couples by All She Wrote.

B787-9 Club World:
7A/K: Recommended by CWS.

B787-9 World Traveller Plus:
No seats have limited recline.
21 A, B, J and K - Missing window (last window in cabin near row 20's head) + near toilets

B787-9 World Traveller:
The width of the WT seats on the B789 is marginally greater than on the B788 (owing to reduced aisle width on the former).

However...

BA 787 Economy Class Comfort & Health Warning

Reviews for World Traveller on the BA 787 (and indeed many other airlines) seem to largely agree the experience is not pleasant, with 9 seats across in a cabin more ideally suited for 8. The seat is smaller than the WT seat fitted to any other BA aircraft, and this can be easily felt, especially if you have broader shoulders.

A, C, D, F, H, K seats: an IFE box is under the seat in front of you, which infringes on legroom.
41A/K: No window.
43A/K: Increased space between seat & cabin wall.

Boeing 787-10 seating comments:
B787-10 Club World:
From porphyra's post:
6A/K window seats have one set of windows only, across the seat. The second further window adjacent to the screen/display that all other seats have is missing - this might be an issue for some people but I preferred it as there was likely less glare on the screen. The issue is that if you like to look out then you almost need to turn your head 90 degrees vs a slant 30-45 to look across the other window.

From corporate-wage-slave's post:
Bulkheads do have more vibration transmission compared to other seats, but that's almost looking for something to say. Essentially all CS is the same, with the only difference between window or middle seating.

B787-10 World Traveller Plus:
From Nil SeAnn's post:
All seats, even in the rearmost row 24, have very significant recline such that my head never fell forward during sleep.
20J/K have great legroom, but [20]D,E&F have even more legroom.
As I sat into 24F to try out the back row, a helpful F/A warned me that I would not be happy with the noise from the bathroom immediately behind the bulkhead to my rear. I thought to myself - how bad could it be? Well it was awful and I lasted about 10 minutes before moving again.
The toilet is oriented facing the rear of the plane and mounted to the WT+ bulkhead. I estimate it is probably only a foot or so from the back of the seat when fully reclined! If you plan an overnight flight I suggest you absolutely avoid 24D,E or F if you hope to get some sleep.

B787-10 World Traveller:

Far rear row of 48 does not recline.
The wall at seats 30A and 30K curves inward which limits the leg room for the leg closer to the wall. See post 1395 for photo.

Related threads:

Print Wikipost

Seating guide: Boeing 787 Dreamliner

Search this Thread

Old Jan 11, 2019, 9:43 am

First time on a 787-8. Heading to JNB.
Booked 7A for window with direct aisle access.
I cannot recommend this seat to someone of the same build as me. You have to be stick insect like to comfortably make the gap with dignity.

Much prefer upper deck on the 747.
Old Jan 11, 2019, 9:47 am

Originally Posted by mmxbreaks
Does anyone have a photo of seats D and F in WTP on a 789... Trying to figure which has the most interfering IFE box for a solo traveller in a mid aisle seat. Thanks!
Hmmm... I booked 7K on a 787-9 for the same reason. Wonder how much weight I'll need to lose before attempting my escape???

Last edited by RideThe22A; Jan 11, 2019 at 9:48 am Reason: Wrong quote
Old Jan 11, 2019, 9:53 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by acucobol
First time on a 787-8. Heading to JNB.
Booked 7A for window with direct aisle access.
I cannot recommend this seat to someone of the same build as me. You have to be stick insect like to comfortably make the gap with dignity.

Much prefer upper deck on the 747.
Also heading to JNB, in April. Return flight is a 747 and I'm sure the outbound was too, but on checking yesterday it's been changed to a 789. At least I managed to get in the mini cabin, but annoying to lose the upper deck, particularly for a night flight...
Old Jan 27, 2019, 6:10 am

I'm flying with my wife GOT -LHR, LHR - LAX B787-9 on 08/31/19 and return 11/04/19 in WTP and thinking about seating. I didn't choose a seat when I booked since I'm disabled and you have to call them to request a seat that fits you, if you need a special seat that is, and I do. Also if you need a special seat because of disability it's free of charge.
I can walk inside the plane but use wheelchair to and from the gate and outside of course. I need more space to move and also have a slight anxiety issue in cramped places as a result of PTSD, that's why we booked WTP.
I'v looked at seatmaps and 16A or 16K would be ideal for me, next to a window, just my wife beside me, more room (not because of my size, but weak/unsteady legs and body) and not cramped with people around me and or in my face when they recline.
From what I'v read they save these seats for executive members with higher status and that's not me, yet. This is my second flight with BA, after this I will be a bronze.

Do you think it's possible to get any of these seats?

Last edited by Annaer; Jan 27, 2019 at 6:16 am
Old Jan 27, 2019, 6:42 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by Annaer
I'v looked at seatmaps and 16A or 16K would be ideal for me, next to a window, just my wife beside me, more room (not because of my size, but weak/unsteady legs and body) and not cramped with people around me and or in my face when they recline.
From what I'v read they save these seats for executive members with higher status and that's not me, yet. This is my second flight with BA, after this I will be a bronze.
These seats are actually bassinet seats so kept back for parents with infants. There are 3 such positions in WTP on the 787-9, namely 16A, 16E and 16K. All of 16 has good leg room and space, and nothing reclining into you, so I wonder if perhaps you could book 16F and 16J, so with the aisle between you? The seat row is slightly staggered but you are still fairly close together. Then on the flight if 16E or 16K remains unused you are in with a chance of swapping around. Having said that LAX services tend to run full, and extra full in WTP, so I would work on the basis that every seat will be taken, even 16E, which is otherwise unpopular as a seat.

I think you have an essential trade off here - a couple seat by the window, but the risk of someone reclining into your space. Or whatever is left on row 16. And there isn't much you can do about the reclining, particularly on the return - it is quite a long flight.
Old Jan 27, 2019, 5:48 pm
Suspended

Just a side note for 6J/K on 789.
I was really distrub by the crew who kept on opening and closing the closet. I would not recommend those seats.
Old Jan 28, 2019, 11:24 pm

CW blocks for crew?

Flying BA33 on an evening flight arriving in the afternoon. Any seat advice for CW? Normally i prefer window seats but would like to avoid the sun. Not sure if I can see much if sitting on top of the wing.

Are 7J/K blocked for crew? Or are they blocked for other reasons and will open up? Flight is in 5 days.
Old Jan 29, 2019, 12:49 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by bchang
Flying BA33 on an evening flight arriving in the afternoon. Any seat advice for CW? Normally i prefer window seats but would like to avoid the sun. Not sure if I can see much if sitting on top of the wing.

Are 7J/K blocked for crew? Or are they blocked for other reasons and will open up? Flight is in 5 days.
​​​​​​
On my flight it stayed blocked for the crew. But when boarding was almost finished a couple took them. Maybe you can trade those two with the crew....
Old Jan 29, 2019, 1:38 am

Programs: BA Silver
If you want to avoid the sun you’ll want a window seat on the ‘K’ side. I was on BA33 in 17 A/B in November, first time on a B787 and found the windows to be useless at blocking light from the rising sun. It was directly in my eyes and after waking up, the only way to make it go away was with the eye mask.

As for actual seats, I think the general advice on this thread is that any of the window pairs in the CW mini cabin are decent seats, row 7 being preferred for direct aisle access from the window.

If you are hoping for direct aisle access from the window, from the screenshot, looks like only 13J/K are available but that comes with a risk of distrubance from the bassinet in front row of WTP.

Last edited by SHT88T; Jan 29, 2019 at 2:00 am
Old Jan 29, 2019, 4:45 am

Programs: QF P1, OZ Diamond

Assuming you're travelling solo 13K would be my pick, however 13E is also a great seat - The CW middles on the 787s are actually a couple of inches wider than all of the other seats on the plane and have a very small storage nook to one side, and with the dividers up are incredibly private.
Old Jan 29, 2019, 4:12 pm

Originally Posted by SHT88T
If you want to avoid the sun you’ll want a window seat on the ‘K’ side. I was on BA33 in 17 A/B in November, first time on a B787 and found the windows to be useless at blocking light from the rising sun. It was directly in my eyes and after waking up, the only way to make it go away was with the eye mask.

As for actual seats, I think the general advice on this thread is that any of the window pairs in the CW mini cabin are decent seats, row 7 being preferred for direct aisle access from the window.

If you are hoping for direct aisle access from the window, from the screenshot, looks like only 13J/K are available but that comes with a risk of distrubance from the bassinet in front row of WTP.
Thanks for the advice re: the sun. I had a bad experience on a Qatar 787 with the windows not staying dark enough. I’ll go for a row 7 I think. Never want to risk being next to a bassinet seat if I can help it.
Old Jan 29, 2019, 4:15 pm

Originally Posted by rfarlz
Assuming you're travelling solo 13K would be my pick, however 13E is also a great seat - The CW middles on the 787s are actually a couple of inches wider than all of the other seats on the plane and have a very small storage nook to one side, and with the dividers up are incredibly private.
I always like a bit of extra space. Thanks for the advice.
Old Feb 4, 2019, 1:47 am

FYI. Just stepped off BA33. 7J/K which was blocked for crew rest became op up seats for friends of crew (I’m assuming) after boarding was completed.
Old Feb 4, 2019, 3:14 am
Suspended

FYI. Just stepped off BA33. 7J/K which was blocked for crew rest became op up seats for friends of crew (I’m assuming) after boarding was completed.
I noticed the same but assumed there were seated first in the second part of the cabin.
Old Feb 5, 2019, 2:47 am

Programs: Qantas, Virgin Au, Garuda, Emirates
Apologies if already covered - eyes are blurry from searching.
787-9 CW from KUL to LHR, overnight.
Large-ish person, bad sleeper, with claustrophobic tendencies.
Currently in 13K - selected due to privacy and no interference.
Thinking I might be better in 6B/J though. Thoughts anyone?
Thanks.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.