Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 12, 2015, 2:30 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Pochama
Here is a guide as to the best and worst seats in First, Club World, World Traveller Plus and World Traveller on the Boeing 787 Dreamliner. Please ask your questions here, and hopefully someone will be able to help!

NB. The new 787-8 configuration is covered in the separate BA Boeing 787-8 (with Club Suites): Which are the best seats? thread

The following 787 seat maps have been prepared for quick comparison and reference

MMB/Expertflyer Aircraft Codes:
788 = Boeing 787-8
789 = Boeing 787-9
781 = Boeing 787-10

Boeing 787-8
Type 78B
Three class: 35J 25W 154M
G-ZBJA G-ZBJB G-ZBJC G-ZBJD G-ZBJE G-ZBJF G-ZBJG G-ZBJH G-ZBJI G-ZBJJ G-ZBJK G-ZBJM (12)
2006 CW, 2010 WTP, 2010 WT and Thales IFE

Boeing 787-9
Type 789
Four class: 8F 42J 39W 127M
G-ZBKA G-ZBKB G-ZBKC G-ZBKD G-ZBKE G-ZBKF G-ZBKG G-ZBKH G-ZBKI G-ZBKJ G-ZBKK G-ZBKL G-ZBKM G-ZBKN G-ZBKO G-ZBKP G-ZBKR G-ZBKS (18)
2015 First, 2006 CW, 2010 WTP, 2010 WT and Thales IFE

Boeing 787-10
Type 78X?
Four class: 8F 48J 35W 165M; fitted with new Club World Suites
G-ZBLA G-ZBLB G-ZBLC G-ZBLD G-ZBLE G-ZBLF G-ZBLG (7)
2015 First, 2019 CWS, 2018 WTP, 2018 WT and Panasonic ex3 IFE

Boeing 787-8 seating comments
As an aside note: The lavatories on the aircraft have handles to open, rather than a push the door mechanism (as found on the 777). The flush also uses a sensor rather than a button. This has potential to cause confusion at an inopportune moment.

B787-8 Club World:
The front CW cabin is quieter, and better for service than the mid cabin.

1 & 2 D/F: There is no overhead locker space, as it is taken up by the crew rest. The foot stools on these seats are also at risk of being bumped by a trolley, although they are semi-protected.

3A & K: These are the official C-W-S recommended seats. They have a little extra room, and direct aisle access, as well as good window views.
6A & J: These are recommended, as they are the longest, and offer the greatest legroom, as well as being ideally positioned for getting off the aircraft.
6D & F: These also offer an extra 3 inches of legroom.
7A & K: These have a little extra room, and direct aisle access. Ideal for those wishing to sleep. Unfortunately, these seats do only have 2 windows, one fewer than other seats.

B787-8 World Traveller Plus:
Passengers use the WT toilets, which does require a walk back through one of the WT cabins.
If you are worried about catering/meal options, it is recommended to sit towards the front of the cabin, as this is where the service starts.
An interesting video trip report can be found here.

10A-K: Recommended due to the extra legroom.

B787-8 World Traveller:
BA 787 Economy Class Comfort & Health Warning

Reviews for World Traveller on the BA 787 (and indeed many other airlines) seem to largely agree the experience is not pleasant, with 9 seats across in a cabin more ideally suited for 8. The seat is smaller than the WT seat fitted to any other BA aircraft, and this can be felt, especially if you have broader shoulders. Seat pitch is also tight, at only 31 inches. The rear 5 rows are reported to have a slightly tighter pitch than the others.

30 A & K are to be avoided: the emergency exit infringes on your personal space both at upper body and foot level.
30B-J: Recommended due to the extra legroom.
HJK seats in rows 31 to 34 have 1’ more legroom than standard rows
A, C, D, F, H, K seats: an IFE box is under the seat in front of you, which infringes on legroom. Please see the photograph below.

Boeing 787-9 seating comments:
As an aside note: The lavatories on the aircraft have handles to open, rather than a push the door mechanism (as found on the 777). The flush also uses a sensor rather than a button. This has potential to cause confusion at an inopportune moment.

B787-9 First:
2K: Recommended by ThatT1Feeling. Quieter side of a/c and away from galley.
1E/F: Recommended for couples by All She Wrote.

B787-9 Club World:
7A/K: Recommended by CWS.

B787-9 World Traveller Plus:
No seats have limited recline.
21 A, B, J and K - Missing window (last window in cabin near row 20's head) + near toilets

B787-9 World Traveller:
The width of the WT seats on the B789 is marginally greater than on the B788 (owing to reduced aisle width on the former).

However...

BA 787 Economy Class Comfort & Health Warning

Reviews for World Traveller on the BA 787 (and indeed many other airlines) seem to largely agree the experience is not pleasant, with 9 seats across in a cabin more ideally suited for 8. The seat is smaller than the WT seat fitted to any other BA aircraft, and this can be easily felt, especially if you have broader shoulders.

A, C, D, F, H, K seats: an IFE box is under the seat in front of you, which infringes on legroom.
41A/K: No window.
43A/K: Increased space between seat & cabin wall.

Boeing 787-10 seating comments:
B787-10 Club World:
From porphyra's post:
6A/K window seats have one set of windows only, across the seat. The second further window adjacent to the screen/display that all other seats have is missing - this might be an issue for some people but I preferred it as there was likely less glare on the screen. The issue is that if you like to look out then you almost need to turn your head 90 degrees vs a slant 30-45 to look across the other window.

From corporate-wage-slave's post:
Bulkheads do have more vibration transmission compared to other seats, but that's almost looking for something to say. Essentially all CS is the same, with the only difference between window or middle seating.

B787-10 World Traveller Plus:
From Nil SeAnn's post:
All seats, even in the rearmost row 24, have very significant recline such that my head never fell forward during sleep.
20J/K have great legroom, but [20]D,E&F have even more legroom.
As I sat into 24F to try out the back row, a helpful F/A warned me that I would not be happy with the noise from the bathroom immediately behind the bulkhead to my rear. I thought to myself - how bad could it be? Well it was awful and I lasted about 10 minutes before moving again.
The toilet is oriented facing the rear of the plane and mounted to the WT+ bulkhead. I estimate it is probably only a foot or so from the back of the seat when fully reclined! If you plan an overnight flight I suggest you absolutely avoid 24D,E or F if you hope to get some sleep.

B787-10 World Traveller:

Far rear row of 48 does not recline.
The wall at seats 30A and 30K curves inward which limits the leg room for the leg closer to the wall. See post 1395 for photo.

Related threads:

Print Wikipost

Seating guide: Boeing 787 Dreamliner

Search this Thread

Old Oct 27, 2018, 12:08 am

Programs: BA Nada, HH Diamond, IHG Spire AMB, Marriott Plat, Accor Gold
Yay! 6E & 7E at allocation. That's going to be fun, airport early I think with my best smile.
Old Oct 27, 2018, 2:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci des Hommes Magiques et Magnifiques
7E is a good seat to swap as it has the advantages of an aisles seat but has more space and is more private.
Old Oct 27, 2018, 2:14 am

Originally Posted by Can I help you
7E is a good seat to swap as it has the advantages of an aisles seat but has more space and is more private.
Just looked at the map and seen the galley, do you still have to step over people to get out of 7E?
Old Oct 27, 2018, 2:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

No and it’s more private, I would ask the customers in 6D and 6F but you will have to sell the advantages, maybe ask the crew to do this.
Old Oct 27, 2018, 2:29 am

No and it’s more private, I would ask the customers in 6D and 6F but you will have to sell the advantages, maybe ask the crew to do this.
That's why I love this site, thanks for the info.
Old Oct 27, 2018, 5:06 am

Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
The line for that is
F2 A0 J9 C9 D9 R9 I9 W9 E9 T6 Y9 B9 H9 K9 M9 L9 V9 S9 N9 Q9 O9 G9
which means wide open and no chance of an involuntary upgrade, but I'm also a bit sceptical. As you say, WTP is fairly full already, and presumably status rich, but unlike your outbound CW is fairly slim in terms of seats taken. That one is more difficult for me to read. I'd be reluctant to take a fairly expensive POUG however at this stage you cannot rely on a free upgrade, particularly if a party of 5. Probably best to come back to that at the beginning of December if the POUG isn't pressing for other reasons.
So, I've just managed to bag 5 reward seats in CW for us on the way back from Sez for a mere 125,000 avios and Ł257!! I have never seen 5 available on one flight before? Feeling quite smug with myself on such a sort after route!
Old Oct 28, 2018, 9:03 pm

Spoke nicely to the check in staff and moved to 7J/K after the flight closed. Apart from some noise from the galley the seats were great.
Old Nov 14, 2018, 8:52 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, IHG Diamond
Short answer: yes.
Long answer: yes!
Longer answer: I would expect that service to go out full. Your shiny card may get you further forward
Took a Ł269 POUG offer to WT+ on that one. Going to save WT for something really short like ORD-DFW

If you had to pick a CW on this flight, daytime ex-LHR, which one? 13K for aisle access?

Last edited by xenole; Nov 14, 2018 at 8:57 am
Old Nov 14, 2018, 9:22 am

Programs: BA Silver; IHG Spire; Avis P+; Global Entry
Short answer: yes.
Long answer: yes!
Longer answer: I would expect that service to go out full. Your shiny card may get you further forward
I've become crazy booked in Y for LHR-YYZ which i think we can do 7 hours, have the rear twin seats booked to lessen the pain of the flight! (39 H &J)

Unlike xenole no change for a POUG for me as the full route is MAN-LHR-YYZ-YQT however at least club on the way back
Old Nov 14, 2018, 10:11 am

Programs: BA Gold, Hilton Diamond
7A/B- Any disturbance from the toilets or galley behind?

HI
We have 7A/B for our overnight flight from SCL on the 787-9 in CW.
Has anyone noticed any disturbance from the toilets (noise or smell) or the galley which are directly behind 7B?
If it is big issue, happy to chose one of the other seats (13A/B or J/K available- although next to WTP bassinet) but usually prefer the smaller cabin at the front.
Thank you for any help / advice.
Old Nov 14, 2018, 10:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I don’t think there is any problem with 7AB and you should be happy.
Old Nov 14, 2018, 10:25 am

Programs: BA Gold, Hilton Diamond
I don’t think there is any problem with 7AB and you should be happy.
Thank you for that. That is reassuring. Just did not want to be stuck in a bad seat for 14 hours (First world problems- I know!!!)
Old Nov 14, 2018, 11:35 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by xenole
Took a Ł269 POUG offer to WT+ on that one. Going to save WT for something really short like ORD-DFW

If you had to pick a CW on this flight, daytime ex-LHR, which one? 13K for aisle access?
Yes, for LHR-LAX as a single traveller, that's a good seat, the sun will be on the other side. The downside is that you're looking at a lot of wing, so you won't get that good a good view (I like that route for its views), and also unless you are subtle in your tactics, for the second meal you may not get a choice even as GGL. Also it is a bit noisier than the forward cabin but still vastly quieter and more pleasant an atmosphere than a 777. In your situation I would take that seat, and even if for some reason 7K comes up - and it shouldn't - I wouldn't take it as it would be a crew rest seat and therefore risking a gate seat shift.
Old Nov 14, 2018, 3:47 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver, IHG Diamond
Yes, for LHR-LAX as a single traveller, that's a good seat, the sun will be on the other side. The downside is that you're looking at a lot of wing, so you won't get that good a good view (I like that route for its views), and also unless you are subtle in your tactics, for the second meal you may not get a choice even as GGL. Also it is a bit noisier than the forward cabin but still vastly quieter and more pleasant an atmosphere than a 777. In your situation I would take that seat, and even if for some reason 7K comes up - and it shouldn't - I wouldn't take it as it would be a crew rest seat and therefore risking a gate seat shift.
The sun wouldn't bother me anyway. Anyone else, tough. Spend too much time as it is in cabins where inconsiderate people put the shades down during the day Guaranteed that will happen on my A380 return.

Can't remember what the second meal is, but I'm sure being potentially last on the list would turn out to be a good thing

Did 7K coming back from BOS I think. 1A going. Both good seats. Do know the crew situation with that seat of the longer flights and doubt a seat shift would be into F so not worth risking a potential middle.
WT+ next month with hopefully no seatmate.

Want to see if my headaches etc. last time I flew F were caused by the cabin or over-indulging in the CCR previously.
Old Nov 24, 2018, 9:19 am
Suspended

Hi everyone ,

I have been through the thread and it seems that 7row is the best. Unfortunately it is already blocked but the rest of the cabin is open. I blocked 6A and B (traveling with GF) . Any particular reason not to take those ones over an other pair ?
Thanks in advance
​​​​​

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.