Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 12, 2015, 2:30 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Pochama
Here is a guide as to the best and worst seats in First, Club World, World Traveller Plus and World Traveller on the Boeing 787 Dreamliner. Please ask your questions here, and hopefully someone will be able to help!

NB. The new 787-8 configuration is covered in the separate BA Boeing 787-8 (with Club Suites): Which are the best seats? thread

The following 787 seat maps have been prepared for quick comparison and reference

MMB/Expertflyer Aircraft Codes:
788 = Boeing 787-8
789 = Boeing 787-9
781 = Boeing 787-10

Boeing 787-8
Type 78B
Three class: 35J 25W 154M
G-ZBJA G-ZBJB G-ZBJC G-ZBJD G-ZBJE G-ZBJF G-ZBJG G-ZBJH G-ZBJI G-ZBJJ G-ZBJK G-ZBJM (12)
2006 CW, 2010 WTP, 2010 WT and Thales IFE

Boeing 787-9
Type 789
Four class: 8F 42J 39W 127M
G-ZBKA G-ZBKB G-ZBKC G-ZBKD G-ZBKE G-ZBKF G-ZBKG G-ZBKH G-ZBKI G-ZBKJ G-ZBKK G-ZBKL G-ZBKM G-ZBKN G-ZBKO G-ZBKP G-ZBKR G-ZBKS (18)
2015 First, 2006 CW, 2010 WTP, 2010 WT and Thales IFE

Boeing 787-10
Type 78X?
Four class: 8F 48J 35W 165M; fitted with new Club World Suites
G-ZBLA G-ZBLB G-ZBLC G-ZBLD G-ZBLE G-ZBLF G-ZBLG (7)
2015 First, 2019 CWS, 2018 WTP, 2018 WT and Panasonic ex3 IFE

Boeing 787-8 seating comments
As an aside note: The lavatories on the aircraft have handles to open, rather than a push the door mechanism (as found on the 777). The flush also uses a sensor rather than a button. This has potential to cause confusion at an inopportune moment.

B787-8 Club World:
The front CW cabin is quieter, and better for service than the mid cabin.

1 & 2 D/F: There is no overhead locker space, as it is taken up by the crew rest. The foot stools on these seats are also at risk of being bumped by a trolley, although they are semi-protected.

3A & K: These are the official C-W-S recommended seats. They have a little extra room, and direct aisle access, as well as good window views.
6A & J: These are recommended, as they are the longest, and offer the greatest legroom, as well as being ideally positioned for getting off the aircraft.
6D & F: These also offer an extra 3 inches of legroom.
7A & K: These have a little extra room, and direct aisle access. Ideal for those wishing to sleep. Unfortunately, these seats do only have 2 windows, one fewer than other seats.

B787-8 World Traveller Plus:
Passengers use the WT toilets, which does require a walk back through one of the WT cabins.
If you are worried about catering/meal options, it is recommended to sit towards the front of the cabin, as this is where the service starts.
An interesting video trip report can be found here.

10A-K: Recommended due to the extra legroom.

B787-8 World Traveller:
BA 787 Economy Class Comfort & Health Warning

Reviews for World Traveller on the BA 787 (and indeed many other airlines) seem to largely agree the experience is not pleasant, with 9 seats across in a cabin more ideally suited for 8. The seat is smaller than the WT seat fitted to any other BA aircraft, and this can be felt, especially if you have broader shoulders. Seat pitch is also tight, at only 31 inches. The rear 5 rows are reported to have a slightly tighter pitch than the others.

30 A & K are to be avoided: the emergency exit infringes on your personal space both at upper body and foot level.
30B-J: Recommended due to the extra legroom.
HJK seats in rows 31 to 34 have 1’ more legroom than standard rows
A, C, D, F, H, K seats: an IFE box is under the seat in front of you, which infringes on legroom. Please see the photograph below.

Boeing 787-9 seating comments:
As an aside note: The lavatories on the aircraft have handles to open, rather than a push the door mechanism (as found on the 777). The flush also uses a sensor rather than a button. This has potential to cause confusion at an inopportune moment.

B787-9 First:
2K: Recommended by ThatT1Feeling. Quieter side of a/c and away from galley.
1E/F: Recommended for couples by All She Wrote.

B787-9 Club World:
7A/K: Recommended by CWS.

B787-9 World Traveller Plus:
No seats have limited recline.
21 A, B, J and K - Missing window (last window in cabin near row 20's head) + near toilets

B787-9 World Traveller:
The width of the WT seats on the B789 is marginally greater than on the B788 (owing to reduced aisle width on the former).

However...

BA 787 Economy Class Comfort & Health Warning

Reviews for World Traveller on the BA 787 (and indeed many other airlines) seem to largely agree the experience is not pleasant, with 9 seats across in a cabin more ideally suited for 8. The seat is smaller than the WT seat fitted to any other BA aircraft, and this can be easily felt, especially if you have broader shoulders.

A, C, D, F, H, K seats: an IFE box is under the seat in front of you, which infringes on legroom.
41A/K: No window.
43A/K: Increased space between seat & cabin wall.

Boeing 787-10 seating comments:
B787-10 Club World:
From porphyra's post:
6A/K window seats have one set of windows only, across the seat. The second further window adjacent to the screen/display that all other seats have is missing - this might be an issue for some people but I preferred it as there was likely less glare on the screen. The issue is that if you like to look out then you almost need to turn your head 90 degrees vs a slant 30-45 to look across the other window.

From corporate-wage-slave's post:
Bulkheads do have more vibration transmission compared to other seats, but that's almost looking for something to say. Essentially all CS is the same, with the only difference between window or middle seating.

B787-10 World Traveller Plus:
From Nil SeAnn's post:
All seats, even in the rearmost row 24, have very significant recline such that my head never fell forward during sleep.
20J/K have great legroom, but [20]D,E&F have even more legroom.
As I sat into 24F to try out the back row, a helpful F/A warned me that I would not be happy with the noise from the bathroom immediately behind the bulkhead to my rear. I thought to myself - how bad could it be? Well it was awful and I lasted about 10 minutes before moving again.
The toilet is oriented facing the rear of the plane and mounted to the WT+ bulkhead. I estimate it is probably only a foot or so from the back of the seat when fully reclined! If you plan an overnight flight I suggest you absolutely avoid 24D,E or F if you hope to get some sleep.

B787-10 World Traveller:

Far rear row of 48 does not recline.
The wall at seats 30A and 30K curves inward which limits the leg room for the leg closer to the wall. See post 1395 for photo.

Related threads:

Print Wikipost

Seating guide: Boeing 787 Dreamliner

Search this Thread

Old Sep 13, 2018, 2:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci des Hommes Magiques et Magnifiques
Never had any complaints/comments regarding noise in 3JK.
Old Sep 15, 2018, 1:11 am

Programs: BA GGL
Travelling as a pair in F. Overnight flight, 15:45 departure from LHR.
Currently in 1A/E to receive same service. Not sure if proximity to galley is an issue and 2A/E would be better.
​2F/K occupied. Assuming a couple with child would select seats in this format for cross-aisle ease and bassinet. Could be wrong.
Remaining four seats available, so 1E/F is also an option.
Really can't decide what's best. Flown the 789 in F twice before, 2E/F both times.
Suggestions appreciated...
Old Sep 29, 2018, 12:00 pm

Programs: QFF Silver, BA Blue, GF Silver, 3V Emerald
Originally Posted by Wilkins
Oh perfect! We booked seats B and C, so We should have plenty of room. Going there we have the twin seats in row 39, H & J.
How are these seats / Do they still have a window? We're looking at booking them for our daytime flight LHR-MSY
Old Oct 4, 2018, 4:31 am

Programs: BA Silver. London Cycling Campaign. TfL Oyster
787-8 CW - galley noise?

Just booked my 2-4-1 redemption flights to India next March. Going out to MAA it's a 788. My instinct is 3AB or 3JK and indeed those are praised in half the thread I've read. However I don't necessarily mind hopping over someone in a B/J seat and the rest of the cabin is wide open. Would 1AB or 1JK be any quieter on this overnight flight? I appreciate this may be much of a muchness. But quieter over direct aisle access for window seat is preferred. I have taken the second CW cabin out of the equation altogether.

EDIT: though I read half this thread I didn’t read the couple of posts immediately before where CIHY and others speak specifically about [lack of] noise in row 3. Thx.

Last edited by NoTiersForMe; Oct 4, 2018 at 1:58 pm Reason: Reading a couple of posts before mine
Old Oct 11, 2018, 4:58 am

Programs: Avios Hunter
LHR-MSY tomorrow. its now a 789, and the F cabin is available for seat selection. Is it the case that this cabin is always actually closed off, and thus selecting F seats results in always being re-assigned ?
Old Oct 11, 2018, 8:08 am

Programs: BA Exec Club Gold, Hilton Honors Diamond
Originally Posted by tangey
LHR-MSY tomorrow. its now a 789, and the F cabin is available for seat selection. Is it the case that this cabin is always actually closed off, and thus selecting F seats results in always being re-assigned ?
Is it open for paid seat selection? Looking at the loads for tomorrow, there's no need to use F so the chances of being moved back are high. If you're moved, then there'll be a good number of seats left to pick from in Club.

Last edited by Boeing77W; Oct 11, 2018 at 8:17 am
Old Oct 11, 2018, 8:42 am

Programs: Avios Hunter
Originally Posted by Boeing77W
Is it open for paid seat selection? Looking at the loads for tomorrow, there's no need to use F so the chances of being moved back are high. If you're moved, then there'll be a good number of seats left to pick from in Club.
Yes, it was and is opened for paid selection, I could select prior to T-24 as I had an earlier connection on the same PNR. My concern would be that i'll only be moved at the gate, and then my party of 2 will be semi-randomly re-assigned. Thanks for the loading info, I'd assume from that, that they'll definitely close the 1st cabin, if CW loads are light. On balance it's probably best for me to pick what i think are the best CW seats that are available, which currently appear to be 7E/7F.
Old Oct 21, 2018, 7:50 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, IHG Diamond
Would I be nuts to try Y on a LHR-LAX flight?
Option of the A380 a couple of hours later (I'll fly this on the way back probably).

Working my way through the 787 cabins and have done F and CW so far.
Can pick the exit rows or the pairs of seats right at the back.

Might get lucky with an upgrade offer though as still WT+ to try (and save Y for something short like BOS-LHR or whatever).

If I do end up in Y, would going for an aisle seat be a good option as at least there will be space to lean into even if people keep bumping me?
Old Oct 21, 2018, 8:41 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by xenole
Would I be nuts to try Y on a LHR-LAX flight?
Short answer: yes.
Long answer: yes!
Longer answer: I would expect that service to go out full. Your shiny card may get you further forward
Old Oct 26, 2018, 3:42 am

I would be greatful if some of the 787-9 regulars could provide some thoughts on this.

I would usually consider the window pairs in Cw the place to be, and have chosen them in the main cabin (see print screen) however I have the chance to move the group of 5 into the front cabin, albeit mostly in the middle block. Is the front cabin better than the rear one to the extent you would take the middle seats? It’s a night flight, so not going to be much to see. My other worry is that row 6 might get first galley noise? I’ve been in the main cabin before and remember the lights being turned off in the front cabin, just as I was eating my main course - is it usually much quicker service up there?

Also, can someone tell me if the other seats in the cabin are blocked or actually in use, as I guess some more choice may open up? Route is lhr-sez on the 8th December?

Last edited by Joshm300; Oct 26, 2018 at 3:55 am
Old Oct 26, 2018, 5:06 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by Joshm300
It’s a night flight, so not going to be much to see. My other worry is that row 6 might get first galley noise? I’ve been in the main cabin before and remember the lights being turned off in the front cabin, just as I was eating my main course - is it usually much quicker service up there?

Also, can someone tell me if the other seats in the cabin are blocked or actually in use, as I guess some more choice may open up? Route is lhr-sez on the 8th December?

BA must be loving this new route. I would normally say it's way too far off to be sure how this aircraft will go, but looking at this even at this remove, I can confidently stick my neck out and predict that service will go out full in First, CW and WTP, and there are a lot of status passengers on board too.

F4 A1 J9 C9 D9 R9 I9 W9 E9 T9 Y9 B9 H9 K9 M9 L9 V9 S9 N9 Q9 O9 G0

What you should do is move backwards and take row 13, so that most of you get either access to the aisle or have a family member in there. There may be a case for the single passenger going to 13F. Alternatively consider 13E+F, 13J+K and 12F, with the highest status passenger in 12F. That way the seat most likely to be empty on the flight, 12E, will maximise aisle access. However I think they'll want every CW seat on that service.

I see zero advantage in being in the front cabin, CW is quite small and yes the service may be over faster in row 6 and 7 but only by a few minutes. IIt's a long flight, you depart at 6pm so unless you train your tribe to get up at 5 am on departure day, you're not going to be sleepy until well past Greece.Moreover the landing into SEZ is very beautiful (see the main SEZ thread). I personally think galley noise is over stated here as an issue - I have flown every single BA 787-8 and 787-9 now, and from my observation, there are few problems getting to sleep on 787, and if a light sleeper the ear plugs / headphones supplied will knock everything out. I use my Shure earphones on 777 but I've never used them on 787s, 380s or 350s. If I hadn't seen the destination I would have assumed you were on something like PHL-LHR, where your concerns may have a greater basis.

Row 7J and K may be crew rest seats, by the way.

Have a good time in Seychelles!
Old Oct 26, 2018, 5:23 am

Thanks CWS - all good points. I have read your original Seychelles thread and had thought having windows for arrival at sez would be a good idea.

Can you check the availability on the way back on the 16th? We are in wtp where there are already quite slim pickings and I’m being offered 5 pougs (never seen that before) at £920 each, so our mixed class booking may upset the cw/wtp balance on a route where presumably most people go for exactly one week and use the same cabin both ways?
Old Oct 26, 2018, 6:09 am

Originally Posted by Joshm300
Can you check the availability on the way back on the 16th? We are in wtp where there are already quite slim pickings and I’m being offered 5 pougs (never seen that before) at £920 each, so our mixed class booking may upset the cw/wtp balance on a route where presumably most people go for exactly one week and use the same cabin both ways?
The line for that is
F2 A0 J9 C9 D9 R9 I9 W9 E9 T6 Y9 B9 H9 K9 M9 L9 V9 S9 N9 Q9 O9 G9
which means wide open and no chance of an involuntary upgrade, but I'm also a bit sceptical. As you say, WTP is fairly full already, and presumably status rich, but unlike your outbound CW is fairly slim in terms of seats taken. That one is more difficult for me to read. I'd be reluctant to take a fairly expensive POUG however at this stage you cannot rely on a free upgrade, particularly if a party of 5. Probably best to come back to that at the beginning of December if the POUG isn't pressing for other reasons.
Old Oct 26, 2018, 8:24 am

Thanks again CWS - it's interesting to see that maybe other people like us really only see the value of the flat bed overnight on a leisure trip (obvious when you try and come back from the Caribbean CW, as well). I'm certainly not considering the POUG at the moment. It was £300 extra each at the time of booking to be in CW, so I don't see the £920 as a good deal at all right now! Really annoyingly, I was messing around for some reason a month after booking this and both ways in CW was the about same as we paid for our CW/WTP combo, so I guess they are trying all the tricks to balance out the flight.
Old Oct 26, 2018, 8:55 pm

Programs: Plat Pro AAdvantage, but defected to BAEC
Originally Posted by tboyjnr
Same dilemma, maybe if no one with infant books the last seats, 2F opens up?
it would appear that this is exactly what happens. BA sold the last 2 seats in F on my flight over the last day or so and now all 8 seats in the cabin are showing as occupied. Of course it’s possible that one of the last 2 passengers to book does indeed have an infant traveling with them. I guess I’ll find out in early Jan.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.