FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   British Airways | Executive Club (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club-446/)
-   -   Seating guide: Boeing 787 Dreamliner (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club/1645350-seating-guide-boeing-787-dreamliner.html)

obduro Aug 12, 2015 7:51 am

Nabbed 7E&F for our 788 flight next week. Hoping to get the bassinet seats at T-3. This thread is a little light especially on CW so will report back on my findings, don't expect a fully fledged TR though ;)

BingBongBoy Aug 12, 2015 8:51 am

I have flown in 7E before and it was nice…

I had been throwing up for about 4 or 5 hours in the toilet, so quite frankly, it was a welcome break… I promise, I did not throw up in the seat, just incase you are wondering which aircraft it was… :D

Have a good flight… :)

obduro Aug 28, 2015 2:59 am

As promised, I have today disembarked from my second 787-8 flight in J and am reporting my findings.

General:
I am a massive fan of the Dreamliner having flown it with other airlines (do they exist? ;) ) and my BA experience in CW was extremely positive. CC were great on both flights, seat was brilliant and I got an opportunity to sit in both the middle seats and window seats with the wife. If you are a fan of CW, you will definitely be a fan of the 787.

I can concur with the comments about the squeaks and rattling in turbulence, not a particularly worrying issue from my perspective but certainly raised a “wth was that?” eyebrow the first couple of times it happened.

Windows are a really great feature of the aircraft, especially on a daytime flight when you want to get some sleep.

Service in the rear cabin was a bit “meh” on the first flight, we pre-ordered my wife’s meal as she is vegetarian (not a special meal - simply from the menu) and despite this my wife was initially told they did not have her first request available despite it being pre-ordered. This was rectified in due course but is symptomatic of the fact the orders appear to be taken from the forward cabin first. The rear cabin does, however, appear to feel more private once takeoff is complete and the curtains are drawn given there are only 12 pods. Both flights were quiet in the rear cabin with no noise heard from the WTP cabin - it is, however, over the wing so is literally noisier (if you can call the Dreamliner a loud aircraft!)

We were greeted by name after boarding the 787 on the outward leg and by the CSM one airborne as BAEC members, didn’t get this on the way back and didn’t even get priority boarding at YYZ given the first call was for passengers with children…is this what normally happens? That’s for another thread.

Flight 1: BA93 LHR - YYZ
Seats: 7E / 7F

7E is definitely a great seat. My wife in her first CW flight sat in 7E and had myself and another passenger flanking her. Even with both dividers up, she said it didn’t feel claustrophobic and was very comfortable. The direct aisle access may be a curse rather than a gift for the more portly flyer, but this was a bonus.

Having read through the thread there were some remarks about WTP passengers using the middle J toilets, and some questioning of whether this happens. I’m not sure whether the CC looking after WTP dropped the ball, or if there is a policy about this that I don’t know about, but all I can say from experience on this particular flight is that it did happen, and being in 7F it was EXTREMELY irksome. Even though the curtain was closed, we counted 12 passengers throughout the flight who meandered through the curtain, seemingly with their eyes shut and then walking into the back of my seat before sauntering forward. CC in the galley by the toilet noticed a number of these pax heading forward, even had conversations with some and they weren’t sent back. What I would say is, 7F is a seat that should not be recommended for this reason - I suspect 7D would be less prone to this if CC were directing people forward along the RHS of the aircraft to sneak to the loos, but can’t say.

Flight 2: BA92 YYZ - LHR
Seats: 6A / 6B

Nabbed the seats we wanted for 93 on the redeye.

6B seems to offer a bit of extra legroom but the footrest is not fully against the wall due to the bassinet location - not a massive issue. You will get the usual issue of people hopping bags off your seat on the way into WT/WTP, but you will be first off the aircraft, so swings and roundabouts. You do of course benefit from direct aisle access, but on the redeye the galley lights don’t go off, so bring your peeper covers.

6A is a great seat. Easy to step over the footrest of 7B, and you get three windows - four if you count the window partially masked by the side of the seat. For comparison, 7A only has two, and 6A just feels like a large seat.

Report complete, hope this helps someone else! :)

nivsy Aug 28, 2015 4:24 am

Other half had 1K outbound and 3a inbound - both nice private seats with 3A not having a step over requirement. For me in 1J - yeah it was ok for day flight...3B - close to galley, bit noisey...seemed to be last for food order for some reason but no issue with availability....dunno really still hard to judge as was not a patch on the JAL 787 I have earlier experienced..but maybe I just have this thing about step over on BC seats but i know BA are not the only..

sebanto2001 Oct 27, 2015 3:38 am

Going to YUL this weekend on the 787 stuck in WT if they don't offer any AUP.

I manage to get 30J on the outbound, but on the inbound I got 39B. Has anyone tried this seat? Since it is on the rear of the cabin and with only 2 seats instead of 3, is it more spacious? Or should I try to get 30B/J when they will be available on Thursday?

Tiger_lily Oct 27, 2015 3:03 pm

Thanks obduro for posting feedback on the CW seating, that'll certainly help me to choose seats on my upcoming flights

highpeaklad Oct 27, 2015 3:12 pm

Originally Posted by sebanto2001 (Post 25621416)

I manage to get 30J on the outbound, but on the inbound I got 39B. Has anyone tried this seat? Since it is on the rear of the cabin and with only 2 seats instead of 3, is it more spacious? Or should I try to get 30B/J when they will be available on Thursday?

I'm sure I read somewhere that the last 5 rows have the tightest pitch ?29"

conklaven Oct 27, 2015 3:37 pm

Originally Posted by windowontheAside (Post 24153693)
I have my first 780 WT trip on Friday.

Can anyone advise about legroom in the first rows? Do seats 21ABC have less space than 20DEF? I think I read somewhere that's the case but would love to have that confirmed.

I'd prefer not to have my knees knocking a bulkhead with no option to stretch my legs a little so may forgo my usual window in favour of 20D or 20F.

I'm not a big fan of aisle seats and I know these aisles are narrow but would there typically be much traffic by the first row? I suppose there'll be more than one might think if the WT+ loos are at the back.

It's not a thrilling prospect, that's for sure.

Doesnt look like this was ever answered... From Basource it looks like 21 has extra room..

My question would be how much foot room is there at 21J/k? enough to stretch your legs out?

If I am not mistaken Here are some pictures from 21K. That looks like an awful lot of legroom. Especially for me at 5'4

https://farm6.staticflickr.com/5806/...726ff69b_z.jpg

https://farm1.staticflickr.com/598/2...9c12f79c_z.jpg

Gomac Oct 27, 2015 3:42 pm

Originally Posted by sebanto2001 (Post 25621416)

I've sat in 39A and selected it on the same basis as you (only 2 seats).... it was the worst decision, with shortened seat pitch and limited recline it was the worst seat I've ever sat in!

sebanto2001 Oct 28, 2015 3:36 am

Originally Posted by Gomac (Post 25624486)
I've sat in 39A and selected it on the same basis as you (only 2 seats).... it was the worst decision, with shortened seat pitch and limited recline it was the worst seat I've ever sat in!

Thanks for the feedback, I'll definitely try to get one of the bulkhead or an exit row at T-72.

shefgab Oct 28, 2015 11:50 am

Does anyone know the location of the IFE units on the 789 in WT? Are there are good or bad seats?

ummgood Oct 30, 2015 12:41 pm

Originally Posted by shefgab (Post 25628550)
Does anyone know the location of the IFE units on the 789 in WT? Are there are good or bad seats?

I am pretty sure they are under both aisle and window seats so you are going to have to suffer with them.

To answer the other questions the bulkhead rows in WT have the most legroom. It doesn't matter what one you have it will be more than the seats with people seated in front of you. You do have less width because of the screen and tray table being in the arm rests. I am willing to put up with that.

Seats in row 30 are the best for leg room because of the exit door but the window is really poor because of the bulge of the door. 30C is bad because of people wanting to stand where your legs are for the restroom. For this reason I would rather have row 21 which has less legroom than 30 but people aren't standing in it. I have flown 30C 3 times and every time there were people standing for extended periods in the space in front of my seat. That is why row 21 is my favorite which I have flown twice.

my last flight on the 787 was in WT+ so I don't think I'll be going back to WT if I can help it. I am a pretty broad guy and the limited width in rows 21 and 30 are really tough on long flights for me. WT+ is such a huge difference.

conklaven Oct 30, 2015 12:57 pm

Originally Posted by ummgood (Post 25639278)
I am pretty sure they are under both aisle and window seats so you are going to have to suffer with them.

To answer the other questions the bulkhead rows in WT have the most legroom. It doesn't matter what one you have it will be more than the seats with people seated in front of you. You do have less width because of the screen and tray table being in the arm rests. I am willing to put up with that.

Seats in row 30 are the best for leg room because of the exit door but the window is really poor because of the bulge of the door. 30C is bad because of people wanting to stand where your legs are for the restroom. For this reason I would rather have row 21 which has less legroom than 30 but people aren't standing in it. I have flown 30C 3 times and every time there were people standing for extended periods in the space in front of my seat. That is why row 21 is my favorite which I have flown twice.

my last flight on the 787 was in WT+ so I don't think I'll be going back to WT if I can help it. I am a pretty broad guy and the limited width in rows 21 and 30 are really tough on long flights for me. WT+ is such a huge difference.

Thanks for the insight. Looking forward to seeing the 787 up close even with the seat width.

I wish WT+ was an option but it's just so much more $

LapLap Oct 30, 2015 9:18 pm

BA 787 head rests - different and dreadful - FAIL

A report back from my husband who flew LHR-ICN on a return ticket in Y - 39J to Seoul, 22A to Heathrow

He is 5'6" with 21" wide shoulders. He didn't mind the seat width, didn't mind the pitch, really appreciated the increased humidity and lower air pressure.

What he absolutely HATED was the head rests. They didn't do much to support his head yet trapped him like a vice so he was fixed into one position for the entire flight. It left him unable to shift or twist in his seat. For the long Westbound ICN-LHR (12 hours +) the unyielding fixed position was tortuous. At least by having a wall/window next to him he was able to soften the sharp, pokey edges of the head rest with some padding and avoid it a little.
He could obtain no relief whatsoever in 39J, but at least he was away from the aisle (being unable to twist would have left his shoulders extremely vulnerable to passing trolleys and passengers.)

These head rests are not fit for purpose in his view and make what should be a perfectly tolerable flight unbearable.

ummgood Oct 31, 2015 12:24 pm

Originally Posted by conklaven (Post 25639360)
Thanks for the insight. Looking forward to seeing the 787 up close even with the seat width.

I wish WT+ was an option but it's just so much more $

Oh and the best seat in W in my eyes on the 787-800 is 20F. It has more leg room and the left arm rest is movable.