Old Jan 12, 2015, 2:30 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Prospero
Here is a guide as to the best and worst seats in First, Club World, World Traveller Plus and World Traveller on the Boeing 787 Dreamliner. Please ask your questions here, and hopefully someone will be able to help!

NB. The new 787-8 configuration is covered in the separate BA Boeing 787-8 (with Club Suites): Which are the best seats? thread

The following 787 seat maps have been prepared for quick comparison and reference

MMB/Expertflyer Aircraft Codes:
788 = Boeing 787-8
789 = Boeing 787-9
781 = Boeing 787-10

Boeing 787-8
Type 78B
Three class: 35J 25W 154M
G-ZBJA G-ZBJB G-ZBJC G-ZBJD G-ZBJE G-ZBJF G-ZBJG G-ZBJH G-ZBJI G-ZBJJ G-ZBJK G-ZBJM (12)
2006 CW, 2010 WTP, 2010 WT and Thales IFE

Boeing 787-9
Type 789
Four class: 8F 42J 39W 127M
G-ZBKA G-ZBKB G-ZBKC G-ZBKD G-ZBKE G-ZBKF G-ZBKG G-ZBKH G-ZBKI G-ZBKJ G-ZBKK G-ZBKL G-ZBKM G-ZBKN G-ZBKO G-ZBKP G-ZBKR G-ZBKS (18)
2015 First, 2006 CW, 2010 WTP, 2010 WT and Thales IFE

Boeing 787-10
Type 78X?
Four class: 8F 48J 35W 165M; fitted with new Club World Suites
G-ZBLA G-ZBLB G-ZBLC G-ZBLD G-ZBLE G-ZBLF G-ZBLG (7)
2015 First, 2019 CWS, 2018 WTP, 2018 WT and Panasonic ex3 IFE

Boeing 787-8 seating comments
As an aside note: The lavatories on the aircraft have handles to open, rather than a push the door mechanism (as found on the 777). The flush also uses a sensor rather than a button. This has potential to cause confusion at an inopportune moment.

B787-8 Club World:
The front CW cabin is quieter, and better for service than the mid cabin.

1 & 2 D/F: There is no overhead locker space, as it is taken up by the crew rest. The foot stools on these seats are also at risk of being bumped by a trolley, although they are semi-protected.

3A & K: These are the official C-W-S recommended seats. They have a little extra room, and direct aisle access, as well as good window views.
6A & J: These are recommended, as they are the longest, and offer the greatest legroom, as well as being ideally positioned for getting off the aircraft.
6D & F: These also offer an extra 3 inches of legroom.
7A & K: These have a little extra room, and direct aisle access. Ideal for those wishing to sleep. Unfortunately, these seats do only have 2 windows, one fewer than other seats.

B787-8 World Traveller Plus:
Passengers use the WT toilets, which does require a walk back through one of the WT cabins.
If you are worried about catering/meal options, it is recommended to sit towards the front of the cabin, as this is where the service starts.
An interesting video trip report can be found here.

10A-K: Recommended due to the extra legroom.

B787-8 World Traveller:
BA 787 Economy Class Comfort & Health Warning

Reviews for World Traveller on the BA 787 (and indeed many other airlines) seem to largely agree the experience is not pleasant, with 9 seats across in a cabin more ideally suited for 8. The seat is smaller than the WT seat fitted to any other BA aircraft, and this can be felt, especially if you have broader shoulders. Seat pitch is also tight, at only 31 inches. The rear 5 rows are reported to have a slightly tighter pitch than the others.

30 A & K are to be avoided: the emergency exit infringes on your personal space both at upper body and foot level.
30B-J: Recommended due to the extra legroom.
HJK seats in rows 31 to 34 have 1’ more legroom than standard rows
A, C, D, F, H, K seats: an IFE box is under the seat in front of you, which infringes on legroom. Please see the photograph below.

Boeing 787-9 seating comments:
As an aside note: The lavatories on the aircraft have handles to open, rather than a push the door mechanism (as found on the 777). The flush also uses a sensor rather than a button. This has potential to cause confusion at an inopportune moment.

B787-9 First:
2K: Recommended by ThatT1Feeling. Quieter side of a/c and away from galley.
1E/F: Recommended for couples by All She Wrote.

B787-9 Club World:
7A/K: Recommended by CWS.

B787-9 World Traveller Plus:
No seats have limited recline.
21 A, B, J and K - Missing window (last window in cabin near row 20's head) + near toilets

B787-9 World Traveller:
The width of the WT seats on the B789 is marginally greater than on the B788 (owing to reduced aisle width on the former).

However...

BA 787 Economy Class Comfort & Health Warning

Reviews for World Traveller on the BA 787 (and indeed many other airlines) seem to largely agree the experience is not pleasant, with 9 seats across in a cabin more ideally suited for 8. The seat is smaller than the WT seat fitted to any other BA aircraft, and this can be easily felt, especially if you have broader shoulders.

A, C, D, F, H, K seats: an IFE box is under the seat in front of you, which infringes on legroom.
41A/K: No window.
43A/K: Increased space between seat & cabin wall.

Boeing 787-10 seating comments:
B787-10 Club World:
From porphyra's post:
6A/K window seats have one set of windows only, across the seat. The second further window adjacent to the screen/display that all other seats have is missing - this might be an issue for some people but I preferred it as there was likely less glare on the screen. The issue is that if you like to look out then you almost need to turn your head 90 degrees vs a slant 30-45 to look across the other window.

From corporate-wage-slave's post:
Bulkheads do have more vibration transmission compared to other seats, but that's almost looking for something to say. Essentially all CS is the same, with the only difference between window or middle seating.

B787-10 World Traveller Plus:
From Nil SeAnn's post:
All seats, even in the rearmost row 24, have very significant recline such that my head never fell forward during sleep.
20J/K have great legroom, but [20]D,E&F have even more legroom.
As I sat into 24F to try out the back row, a helpful F/A warned me that I would not be happy with the noise from the bathroom immediately behind the bulkhead to my rear. I thought to myself - how bad could it be? Well it was awful and I lasted about 10 minutes before moving again.
The toilet is oriented facing the rear of the plane and mounted to the WT+ bulkhead. I estimate it is probably only a foot or so from the back of the seat when fully reclined! If you plan an overnight flight I suggest you absolutely avoid 24D,E or F if you hope to get some sleep.

B787-10 World Traveller:

Far rear row of 48 does not recline.

Related threads:

Print Wikipost

Seating guide: Boeing 787 Dreamliner

Old Mar 17, 2017, 3:26 pm

Programs: I am a lowly ant
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
It's primarily the WT toilets actually, the doors are in that cabin.

Ah, Expertflyer shows the toilets as being in the WT+ cabin.

I'm trying to decide between 43J and 30C (43H is vacant, row 30 is definitely full)

Y looks fairly full

F2 A1 J9 C2 D0 R0 I0 W9 E9 T5 Y6 B3 H0 K0 M0 L0 V0 S0 N0 Q0 O0 G0

so no chance of getting a full row.

AUP WT ->WT+ should be around Ł249 I think? (LHR-KUL)
Old Mar 17, 2017, 3:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci des Hommes Magiques et Magnifiques
Originally Posted by meester69
Are the lavatories in front of row 30 on the 789 for WT+ pax only? So no toilet traffic there?
The toilets are shared with WT.
Old Mar 17, 2017, 8:03 pm

Originally Posted by meester69
I'm trying to decide between 43J and 30C (43H is vacant, row 30 is definitely full)

Y looks fairly full

F2 A1 J9 C2 D0 R0 I0 W9 E9 T5 Y6 B3 H0 K0 M0 L0 V0 S0 N0 Q0 O0 G0
How far off is your flight?
Old Mar 17, 2017, 8:24 pm

Programs: I am a lowly ant
Originally Posted by Calum
How far off is your flight?
Just over a week.
Old Mar 18, 2017, 1:52 am

Programs: BAEC Silver/OW Sapphire
Originally Posted by Frequentflyer99
Presumably on the 789, row 16 in WTP and 30 in WT are the no-brainer options ?

Odd question, but is WTP row 16 actually better than WT row 30, as I assume row 16 has a bulkhead with limited legroom, whereas row 30 (side window blocks) presumably has the usual 6ft of exit row space ?
Sorry to resurrect an old question but it did not appear to get answered and I'm about to book a WTP trip on the 789.

Is row 16 (front row) any better than the rest of the cabin?
Old Mar 18, 2017, 2:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Depends what you are looking for, if you are very tall other rows may be better for you, the advantage of the front row is that no other seat reclines into your space and it is easier to climb over the aisle seat to get out?
Old Mar 18, 2017, 2:29 am

It's for my elderly father who has mobility issues so I want to book him the easiest seat in the cabin to get in/out of.
Old Mar 18, 2017, 4:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Then go for the bulkhead seats.
Old Mar 21, 2017, 3:09 pm

Programs: wn
Seats

Hi all. We have never flown BA before and need to pick our seats because we don't want to leave it to chance at the last minute. We do have to pay Our plane is a 788 and the flight is 7 hours 55 minutes so not a short one. It leaves mid afternoon from LHR and is a transatlantic.

Anyways... we have in the past always picked an aisle and a middle seat but this time was thinking of maybe two aisle seats right by each other. Choices are either 34 B and C (aisle and middle on the left side of the plane) or 34 F and H (F is an aisle in the middle set of seats and H is the aisle seat next to it on the right side of the plane). I checked out seat guru.com and all I read was complaints about seating in this aircraft. Unfortunately our seats at this point are non refundable so it is what it is. Any suggestions on which to pick or is it 6 of one half a dozen of the other?

Thanks.
Old Mar 21, 2017, 4:16 pm
V10

Programs: MUCCI Gold
Originally Posted by mbres
Hi all. We have never flown BA before and need to pick our seats because we don't want to leave it to chance at the last minute. We do have to pay Our plane is a 788 and the flight is 7 hours 55 minutes so not a short one. It leaves mid afternoon from LHR and is a transatlantic.

Anyways... we have in the past always picked an aisle and a middle seat but this time was thinking of maybe two aisle seats right by each other. Choices are either 34 B and C (aisle and middle on the left side of the plane) or 34 F and H (F is an aisle in the middle set of seats and H is the aisle seat next to it on the right side of the plane). I checked out seat guru.com and all I read was complaints about seating in this aircraft. Unfortunately our seats at this point are non refundable so it is what it is. Any suggestions on which to pick or is it 6 of one half a dozen of the other?

Thanks.
You may want to have a look at the seat map on thebasource.com. Unfortunately there are no decent seats in economy on this aircraft, you have the choice of horrifically crap, or just crap.

I'd probably go with the two aisles just to avoid the additional possibility of one person in the middle seat being squeezed from both sides. On the positive side, the timing of the flight could be worse (assuming it's not delayed).

I would question the value of paying to reserve these seats also unless it is really important that you know you can sit together, ensuring you check in online as soon as check-in opens I'd be surprised if nothing was left to choose from at that point.
Old Mar 21, 2017, 5:56 pm

Programs: wn
Originally Posted by V10
You may want to have a look at the seat map on thebasource.com. Unfortunately there are no decent seats in economy on this aircraft, you have the choice of horrifically crap, or just crap.

I'd probably go with the two aisles just to avoid the additional possibility of one person in the middle seat being squeezed from both sides. On the positive side, the timing of the flight could be worse (assuming it's not delayed).

I would question the value of paying to reserve these seats also unless it is really important that you know you can sit together, ensuring you check in online as soon as check-in opens I'd be surprised if nothing was left to choose from at that point.
Unfortunately it appears we have to pay for seats. Can't take the chance of getting the worst ones (they all appear to be bad). I read that the last 5 rows have tighter pitch. My husband wouldn't fit as he has long legs.

I have also read that the aisle and window seats have an electronic box of some sort in the way of our feet. Middle seats don't?

What about if we paid for 21 D and E. Does that have a lot of leg room or is the diagram wrong? To us they are pricey but it may be worth it.

I can't check in 24 hours in advance as we will be touring in Rome and I won't have access to check in at T-24.
Old Mar 22, 2017, 2:08 am

Any experience on if it is worth it to go to WT+ from WT on the lhr-->sjc (t 10 hr+) for 16k points + Ł76?
They have said the flight still has avios seats available in economy, so they think it is a light load.

I'm trying to decide if it's worth it if there is a chance I can either get a row to myself or at least an empty seat next to me in WT.
Old Mar 22, 2017, 5:23 am

Programs: BAEC Silver
I have made a booking for LHR-NRT on the 789 in club. My sole aim is to maximise sleep - so as far away from the loos, galley and bassinet positions as possible. At the risk of divulging too much information: I am 193 cm tall and skinny and sleep on my side it the foetal position. Advice please on whether to go for 6E (which seems to offer a little extra width, which can help) or 7 A/E/K (is there some extra legroom at the bulkhead here?) or 12E or indeed anywhere else.

Thanks in advance,

Hector B (BA silver)
Old Mar 22, 2017, 7:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Why not go for width and length and take 7E or 13E?
Old Mar 23, 2017, 3:14 am

787-9 row 30

Row 30 is an exit row so has ample leg room but just how narrow is the seat? I understand the 787-9 is wider than the -8, but the IFE storage in the armrest reduces the width a bit. Ultimately is it worth booking?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.