Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 12, 2015, 2:30 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Pochama
Here is a guide as to the best and worst seats in First, Club World, World Traveller Plus and World Traveller on the Boeing 787 Dreamliner. Please ask your questions here, and hopefully someone will be able to help!

NB. The new 787-8 configuration is covered in the separate BA Boeing 787-8 (with Club Suites): Which are the best seats? thread

The following 787 seat maps have been prepared for quick comparison and reference

MMB/Expertflyer Aircraft Codes:
788 = Boeing 787-8
789 = Boeing 787-9
781 = Boeing 787-10

Boeing 787-8
Type 78B
Three class: 35J 25W 154M
G-ZBJA G-ZBJB G-ZBJC G-ZBJD G-ZBJE G-ZBJF G-ZBJG G-ZBJH G-ZBJI G-ZBJJ G-ZBJK G-ZBJM (12)
2006 CW, 2010 WTP, 2010 WT and Thales IFE

Boeing 787-9
Type 789
Four class: 8F 42J 39W 127M
G-ZBKA G-ZBKB G-ZBKC G-ZBKD G-ZBKE G-ZBKF G-ZBKG G-ZBKH G-ZBKI G-ZBKJ G-ZBKK G-ZBKL G-ZBKM G-ZBKN G-ZBKO G-ZBKP G-ZBKR G-ZBKS (18)
2015 First, 2006 CW, 2010 WTP, 2010 WT and Thales IFE

Boeing 787-10
Type 78X?
Four class: 8F 48J 35W 165M; fitted with new Club World Suites
G-ZBLA G-ZBLB G-ZBLC G-ZBLD G-ZBLE G-ZBLF G-ZBLG (7)
2015 First, 2019 CWS, 2018 WTP, 2018 WT and Panasonic ex3 IFE

Boeing 787-8 seating comments
As an aside note: The lavatories on the aircraft have handles to open, rather than a push the door mechanism (as found on the 777). The flush also uses a sensor rather than a button. This has potential to cause confusion at an inopportune moment.

B787-8 Club World:
The front CW cabin is quieter, and better for service than the mid cabin.

1 & 2 D/F: There is no overhead locker space, as it is taken up by the crew rest. The foot stools on these seats are also at risk of being bumped by a trolley, although they are semi-protected.

3A & K: These are the official C-W-S recommended seats. They have a little extra room, and direct aisle access, as well as good window views.
6A & J: These are recommended, as they are the longest, and offer the greatest legroom, as well as being ideally positioned for getting off the aircraft.
6D & F: These also offer an extra 3 inches of legroom.
7A & K: These have a little extra room, and direct aisle access. Ideal for those wishing to sleep. Unfortunately, these seats do only have 2 windows, one fewer than other seats.

B787-8 World Traveller Plus:
Passengers use the WT toilets, which does require a walk back through one of the WT cabins.
If you are worried about catering/meal options, it is recommended to sit towards the front of the cabin, as this is where the service starts.
An interesting video trip report can be found here.

10A-K: Recommended due to the extra legroom.

B787-8 World Traveller:
BA 787 Economy Class Comfort & Health Warning

Reviews for World Traveller on the BA 787 (and indeed many other airlines) seem to largely agree the experience is not pleasant, with 9 seats across in a cabin more ideally suited for 8. The seat is smaller than the WT seat fitted to any other BA aircraft, and this can be felt, especially if you have broader shoulders. Seat pitch is also tight, at only 31 inches. The rear 5 rows are reported to have a slightly tighter pitch than the others.

30 A & K are to be avoided: the emergency exit infringes on your personal space both at upper body and foot level.
30B-J: Recommended due to the extra legroom.
HJK seats in rows 31 to 34 have 1’ more legroom than standard rows
A, C, D, F, H, K seats: an IFE box is under the seat in front of you, which infringes on legroom. Please see the photograph below.

Boeing 787-9 seating comments:
As an aside note: The lavatories on the aircraft have handles to open, rather than a push the door mechanism (as found on the 777). The flush also uses a sensor rather than a button. This has potential to cause confusion at an inopportune moment.

B787-9 First:
2K: Recommended by ThatT1Feeling. Quieter side of a/c and away from galley.
1E/F: Recommended for couples by All She Wrote.

B787-9 Club World:
7A/K: Recommended by CWS.

B787-9 World Traveller Plus:
No seats have limited recline.
21 A, B, J and K - Missing window (last window in cabin near row 20's head) + near toilets

B787-9 World Traveller:
The width of the WT seats on the B789 is marginally greater than on the B788 (owing to reduced aisle width on the former).

However...

BA 787 Economy Class Comfort & Health Warning

Reviews for World Traveller on the BA 787 (and indeed many other airlines) seem to largely agree the experience is not pleasant, with 9 seats across in a cabin more ideally suited for 8. The seat is smaller than the WT seat fitted to any other BA aircraft, and this can be easily felt, especially if you have broader shoulders.

A, C, D, F, H, K seats: an IFE box is under the seat in front of you, which infringes on legroom.
41A/K: No window.
43A/K: Increased space between seat & cabin wall.

Boeing 787-10 seating comments:
B787-10 Club World:
From porphyra's post:
6A/K window seats have one set of windows only, across the seat. The second further window adjacent to the screen/display that all other seats have is missing - this might be an issue for some people but I preferred it as there was likely less glare on the screen. The issue is that if you like to look out then you almost need to turn your head 90 degrees vs a slant 30-45 to look across the other window.

From corporate-wage-slave's post:
Bulkheads do have more vibration transmission compared to other seats, but that's almost looking for something to say. Essentially all CS is the same, with the only difference between window or middle seating.

B787-10 World Traveller Plus:
From Nil SeAnn's post:
All seats, even in the rearmost row 24, have very significant recline such that my head never fell forward during sleep.
20J/K have great legroom, but [20]D,E&F have even more legroom.
As I sat into 24F to try out the back row, a helpful F/A warned me that I would not be happy with the noise from the bathroom immediately behind the bulkhead to my rear. I thought to myself - how bad could it be? Well it was awful and I lasted about 10 minutes before moving again.
The toilet is oriented facing the rear of the plane and mounted to the WT+ bulkhead. I estimate it is probably only a foot or so from the back of the seat when fully reclined! If you plan an overnight flight I suggest you absolutely avoid 24D,E or F if you hope to get some sleep.

B787-10 World Traveller:

Far rear row of 48 does not recline.
The wall at seats 30A and 30K curves inward which limits the leg room for the leg closer to the wall. See post 1395 for photo.

Related threads:

Print Wikipost

Seating guide: Boeing 787 Dreamliner

Search this Thread

Old Nov 28, 2016, 11:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BAEC: Silver - Marriott: Titanium
Originally Posted by maxTO
It does, thanks!
Just keep in mind... In front of row 6 are 4 wardrobes which form the divide between First and Club. The middle set have the duvets and stuff for First, so there will be some crew activity at times getting stuff for First.

10F/J have 2 toilets in front of them and 10B/D have galley units in front of them, so are a little more noise or traffic heavy.

Front mini cabin is nicer. Quieter and a bit more calm in my opinion.
Old Nov 28, 2016, 11:54 pm

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by maxTO
Planing to take 6F (solo traveler, looking for easy access to the aisle). How was it? Did you notice extra leg room?
I am not flying until after Christmas, interested to hear your opinion if you're flying before then!

The seats at the bulkhead only really provide additional leg room/bed length if they don't have a barrier around the footrest. On most other planes there are a few great seats where the footrest isn't flush against the wall when upright, and so when it's in the bed position your feet can stick off the end a bit rather than being restricted by the seat in front or the wall. Not sure whether these exist on this plane though!
Old Nov 29, 2016, 6:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BAEC: Silver - Marriott: Titanium
Originally Posted by benjones250
I am not flying until after Christmas, interested to hear your opinion if you're flying before then!

The seats at the bulkhead only really provide additional leg room/bed length if they don't have a barrier around the footrest. On most other planes there are a few great seats where the footrest isn't flush against the wall when upright, and so when it's in the bed position your feet can stick off the end a bit rather than being restricted by the seat in front or the wall. Not sure whether these exist on this plane though!
Off the top of my head, and don't quote me on this one, but I don't think there are any barriers around the foot stool as they don't protrude out into the aisle (for example like the ones on the 747 upper deck where there is absolutely nothing else around them) but in row 6 on the 787-9 for example, the wardrobes are there, about 6-8 inches further forward, and there is nothing between them. I imagine the real reason is weight saving, but I am sure that is the case.
Old Nov 29, 2016, 8:07 am

Originally Posted by BingBongBoy
Off the top of my head, and don't quote me on this one, but I don't think there are any barriers around the foot stool as they don't protrude out into the aisle (for example like the ones on the 747 upper deck where there is absolutely nothing else around them) but in row 6 on the 787-9 for example, the wardrobes are there, about 6-8 inches further forward, and there is nothing between them. I imagine the real reason is weight saving, but I am sure that is the case.
Thant's great! Being 6.5, additional legroom in CW would be appreciable. I'll take that 6F seat, with hopefully 6-8 inches extra as you mentioned.
Old Nov 29, 2016, 8:09 am

Originally Posted by benjones250

Thanks. I'll be flying before Christmas so I'll let you know.
Old Dec 27, 2016, 10:27 am

Programs: BAEC Bronze
Originally Posted by shefgab
So I just got back from my first WT 789 flight. Verdict, not too bad. The seat felt a little tighter than the 77W or 380, but not having flown the 788 in Y I couldn't say if it's an improvment or not. The aisle in WTP certainly looked pretty wide.

The IFE box is a bit of a pain for the window seat (lucky there was no one in the middle), and in between the aisle and middle seat (why they have 2 boxes for 3 seats, i'm not sure!).

Row 41 is missing a window. The row 43 pairs near the window have a lot of space between the seat and the fuselage.

Do the seats in row 43 recline? They don't look like they do..
Old Dec 27, 2016, 11:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci des Hommes Magiques et Magnifiques
Yes, all seats recline.
Old Dec 27, 2016, 12:00 pm

Is 20D the best there is given the rest of row 20 is taken and row 30 is still showing at Ł58 a seat and is also mostly taken?

This is on the late evening flight to TLV. Some sleep would be ideal, but given that its now an 20:05 departure and no longer a 22:30 departure sleep may be impossible anyway.
Old Jan 19, 2017, 3:38 pm

Programs: BAEC, Etihad Guest, Platinum Tesco Tart
Hi, looking for collective FT wisdom on the best CW seats for a couple, should we go for 3A/B?

Thanks in advance.
Old Jan 19, 2017, 4:20 pm

Programs: BAEC, FB, QANTAS, IHG, Hilton, Marriott, AVIS Preferred, MRAeS
Originally Posted by SaraJH
Hi, looking for collective FT wisdom on the best CW seats for a couple, should we go for 3A/B?

Thanks in advance.
3A/3B are great seats. I would go with them.
Old Jan 20, 2017, 3:53 am

Originally Posted by vibrex
3A/3B are great seats. I would go with them.
Many thanks.
Old Jan 20, 2017, 3:19 pm

Sorry to ask another question, according to MMB to can book 1A/B, which is better, row 1 or row 3?
I'm not sure where most of the galley service is done from on a 788.
Thanks.
Old Jan 31, 2017, 11:22 am

Programs: BA GGL / GFL, Mucci Diamond!, HH Diamond, Radisson Premium, IHG Gold, Hertz Gold
Originally Posted by mikeyfly
2K if travelling alone
Can I ask why? I have my first F on the 787-9 coming up in April travelling solo so am interested in why 2K is preferred.. thanks
Old Jan 31, 2017, 11:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci des Hommes Magiques et Magnifiques
Back row so not affected by light from the galley and less foot traffic on the RHS.
Old Jan 31, 2017, 11:32 am

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by Can I help you
Back row so not affected by light from the galley and less foot traffic on the RHS.
Can you kindly recommend CIHY for a couple in First on the 787-9 currently booked in 1E and 1F would you stay put or move to row 2 instead?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.