Community
Wiki Posts
Search

First time flying CW with baby LHR-SEA

Search this Thread

Old Jan 12, 2015, 10:31 am
Original Poster

First time flying CW with baby LHR-SEA

Can anyone tell us of their experiences flying in CW long haul with baby (9 months old)?

We have pre-selected 16 E F on the 777-300 as they have the bassinet and are double seats in the middle.

We are mindful of others on the flight, particularly the return from Seattle which will be a night flight.

Could baby lie between the two seats when they in the lie flat position, will the cabin crew be able to help if we need?

There is no way we wanted to sit in economy for this length of flight with baby, and while we are excited we are also nervous!

Let me know your views.

Mike
Old Jan 12, 2015, 10:43 am

Programs: Lowly Blue
No the baby won't be able to lay between the seats as there's a solid partition between them - if one of you can get comfortable laying on your side, the baby can take up the other half of one of the seat/beds.

You're in the right seats though, if the kid will settle in the bassinet or the baby seat then it works great. Hopefully on the night flight he/she will sleep for most of it.

The worst part is if there is turbulence - you'll need to strap the baby to the extender seat belt which inevitably wakes him/her up.

I've flown long haul in CW probably 10 times with one (and twice with two) babies and it's not as bad as you think
Old Jan 12, 2015, 2:08 pm
Suspended

Programs: BA Gold, AF Gold, some hotels...
I second the above.

Will also add that the crew will offer you a choice of cot bed and Z-seat (a bouncer style chair) to be attached to the bassinet. The cot will be way too small for a 9mth old but if your baby is on the small size he may fit into the Z-cot and allow you to get some rest without you having to worry whether you have rolled on him

Have not tried the bassinet position on the -300 but on the 777-200 the air con is particularly strong at the bassinet level so don't forget a hat for the little one.
Old Jan 12, 2015, 3:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci des Hommes Magiques et Magnifiques
If the seat belts signs are off there is no reason why baby cannot have cuddles with mummy and daddy.
Old Jan 12, 2015, 3:27 pm
Suspended

Programs: BA Gold, AF Gold, some hotels...
Originally Posted by Can I help you
If the seat belts signs are off there is no reason why baby cannot have cuddles with mummy and daddy.
Difficult in the lying down position without constantly worrying for the life of the baby. Which is why Mrs G77 cuddles with the baby, while I sleep like a baby
Old Jan 15, 2015, 3:06 pm
Original Poster

thanks for the advice,

As I mentioned its the first time with baby, so, we can hold baby on our laps in the CW seats in the upright position with a seat belt extension for take off and landing.

And in the lie flat position we can use the same seat belt extension during turbulence?

We don't have to use the baby cot or Z seat if we don't want to?
Old Jan 15, 2015, 5:40 pm

Programs: BA
Originally Posted by deviant1966
thanks for the advice,

As I mentioned its the first time with baby, so, we can hold baby on our laps in the CW seats in the upright position with a seat belt extension for take off and landing.

And in the lie flat position we can use the same seat belt extension during turbulence?
Yes, we have done this with no issues in the past. If you are cuddling up to go to sleep with the baby then make sure your sealtbelt is on as normal and the extension belt is on the baby and you should be fine - I know this is what Mrs expat did with our kids when they were that kind of age.

Originally Posted by deviant1966
We don't have to use the baby cot or Z seat if we don't want to?
You don't have to use the cot or Z seat if you don't want to, all good. That back middle pair is a great set of seats for the three of you, plenty of floor space if you need it.

Good luck!
Old Jan 15, 2015, 7:08 pm

Programs: BA (GGL G4L), AA (Gold), HH (Diamond); Marriott (Gold)
The cot seat will likely be too small (it was too small for our baby when he was 5 months old). Even then, it's the best option on the plane and it's where we say this past summer. There's a trip report in my signature that gives more details also. For the majority of the flights, our baby slept either on my wife or on me, buckled in with the seat belt. We also used a baby carrier/papous for part of the flight and we found this much easier to get around the airport than using a buggy/stroller.

No need to apologize about flying with your baby in CW. As long as you stay calm your baby will usually reflect your mood as I'm sure you know. The main thing I would be prepared for is that it's a common time for teething.

BA crew seem to be at their best when flying with a baby in CW and were very good about staggering our meal services so one of us could eat while the other watched the baby.

Good luck and enjoy your trip. Let me know if you have other questions.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.