Wiki Posts
Search

High Value Customer Upgrade ?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 12, 2015, 4:30 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold(twice), Hilton Diamond
Question High Value Customer Upgrade ?

A GCH friend yesterday delighted to have 2 CE returns to Zurich for £100 and 18,000 Avios. I looked at his booking receipt which confirmed the cost but it said "High Value Customer Upgrade" "change conditions apply" etc. I thought maybe £100 is the current RFS for two, and it seemed that 18k Avios would indeed have been the norm for ET, so apparently indeed a free CE upgrade.
Have you seen this term before and this is a random loyalty upgrade for a pax who does fly a lot, ? Or, has he inadvertently used his GUF2 ? ( I didn't like to suggest this as it would have deflated his bargain, but worse, such a waste of a GUF2 !).
Old Jan 12, 2015, 4:38 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
High Value Customer Upgrade appears when a GUF is used. I have the same note on the e-ticket email on my GUF'ed bookings. I suspect he has used a GUF advertently or inadvertently!
Old Jan 12, 2015, 4:59 am
Original Poster

Thanks Karfa. Definitely inadvertently used his GUF2. I'm surprised he didn't realise it during the booking process. Oh dear what a mistake, I know he intended to use to to Dubai later in the year.
Old Jan 12, 2015, 5:05 am

Programs: Mucci des Ancients Matelots
owch. Well hopefully it's still within the 24 hour window and can be cancelled.
Old Jan 12, 2015, 5:08 am

Programs: BA Silver
Originally Posted by GaxxyFlyer
owch. Well hopefully it's still within the 24 hour window and can be cancelled.
If the friend didn't intend to use the GUF2, and is sure he didn't ask for it to be applied, I'd be pushing for a free cancellation and rebooking, and asking for the call recording to be retrieved if that request is not granted.
Old Jan 12, 2015, 6:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci, BA, AF
It might have been booked online, therefore no call recording to be retrieved...
Old Jan 12, 2015, 6:18 am

Programs: BAEC
Originally Posted by BA6501
It might have been booked online, therefore no call recording to be retrieved...
I think he meant a recording of the telephone call when the OP's friend rings to cancel.
Old Jan 12, 2015, 6:37 am
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club, easyJet and Ryanair

Programs: BA Gold (GGL/CCR)
This appears to be a redemption booking so it can be cancelled if there is more than 24 hours before departure.
Old Jan 12, 2015, 9:33 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Tobias-UK
This appears to be a redemption booking so it can be cancelled if there is more than 24 hours before departure.
Thanks everyone, great FT advice as always. I have informed my friend, who has decided to stay with his Zurich booking. More money (or Avios ) than sense I think, as I know he has longhaul plans. Or, it could well be pride, as he is very unlikely to admit to a mistake, ever. And if that is the case, I hope he will quietly change the booking. My (only) rich friend may even have more than one gold upgrade I suppose, .....but he let me pay for lunch yesterday. Boo.
Old Jan 12, 2015, 9:37 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by 'andad
Thanks everyone, great FT advice as always. I have informed my friend, who has decided to stay with his Zurich booking. More money (or Avios ) than sense I think, as I know he has longhaul plans. Or, it could well be pride, as he is very unlikely to admit to a mistake, ever. And if that is the case, I hope he will quietly change the booking. My (only) rich friend may even have more than one gold upgrade I suppose, .....but he let me pay for lunch yesterday. Boo.
I have used both a joker and GUF2 on the same CE booking to BCN for April this year. It isn't completely crazy (I hope), although probably not the best value use of these benefits. Sometimes you just go with what you want to do rather than trying to squeeze every penny of value out of them.
Old Jan 12, 2015, 9:42 am

Programs: BA Gold, TG Gold, HHonors Diamond, SPG Plat
It is easy and cheap enough to cancel the booking and loose the taxes on the CE booking. Just make a new Avios booking for the European trip and the GUF2 voucher comes back into use for a long-haul redemption booking later.
Old Jan 12, 2015, 9:49 am

Originally Posted by BA6501
Originally Posted by GSTBK
I think he meant a recording of the telephone call when the OP's friend rings to cancel.
Yes, I assumed that no-one would be daft enough to accidentally use a GUF2 online
Old Jan 12, 2015, 10:06 am

Programs: BA GGL+CCR, HHonors Dia, Hyatt Dia
Thanks Karfa. Definitely inadvertently used his GUF2. I'm surprised he didn't realise it during the booking process. Oh dear what a mistake, I know he intended to use to to Dubai later in the year.
If the GUF was used would it not show said usage on his exec home page?
Old Jan 13, 2015, 7:06 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Paralytic
Yes, I assumed that no-one would be daft enough to accidentally use a GUF2 online
He's not daft, nor rude. But he is Sicilian, and when he takes offence.........
Old Jan 13, 2015, 7:29 am

He's not daft, nor rude. But he is Sicilian, and when he takes offence.........
But did he accidentally use his GUF2 online?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.