Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

The 2015 BA compensation thread: Your guide to Regulation 261/2004

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The 2015 BA compensation thread: Your guide to Regulation 261/2004

Search this Thread

Old Apr 21, 2015, 6:42 am

Programs: BAEC, IHG, LeClub, HHonors
Originally Posted by NickB
Welcome to FT, Cymru Fach.
This is a clear Huzar-type situation and they are trying to fob you off. At this stage just send a "letter before action" and give them a couple of weeks or so to reply. If they don't reply or do not change their position without providing a more appropriate reason, I would just go ahead with an MCOL action if I were in your shoes.
Couldn't agree more
Old Apr 21, 2015, 10:03 am

Programs: BAEC: Gold, HH:Diamond, Marriott: Platinum, IHG: Diamond Ambassador
Originally Posted by mc1973
Couldn't agree more
This was also my experience recently when dealing with them - there was no negotiation with the customer service reps and they were bordering on rude at some points in telling me my claim wasn't valid. A claim through MCOL soon changed their tone.
Old Apr 21, 2015, 3:26 pm

Programs: BA CCR/GGL, Hilton Diamond
I had a LHR - DUB flight which BA cancelled - there were a couple of BA options, and several Aer Lingus options between the cancelled flight and the one I ended up getting on - 3 1/4 hours later. They said the cancellation was due to air traffic control issues so wasn't eligible, but gave me 30,000 Avios (I think I'd paid 4,500 Avios for my flight... :-)
Old Apr 24, 2015, 1:34 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: LH HON, BA GGL, AF Plat, EK Plat
I have a quick question for the clever people here.
I had two flights on the same PNR within EU connecting in London. First flight (from VIE) early in the morning arriving at LHR at 9am and it was on time.
Then I had a day in London and departed from LGW for GLA in the evening. This flight arrived with 151 minutes of delay. I thought I would claim 250E for the 'above 2 hours delay on a flight <1500km'. Can I do this, or does the whole ticket have to be taken into account (thus pushing the distance >1500km VIE-GLA)?
Old Apr 27, 2015, 2:55 am

Just to let you know that Funds from BA have been credited to my account! Quicker than I thought too! It pays to be persistent. �� Hope everyone who is entitled to compensation gets what is due to them.
Old Apr 27, 2015, 3:08 am

Programs: BA Gold. IHG Platinum Ambassador
Originally Posted by Cymru Fach
Hi all,
"Your claim’s been refused because BA0115 on 14 March 2015 was cancelled because of aircraft damage which wasn’t caused by us, which prevented the aircraft operating as scheduled. Under EU legislation, I’m afraid we’re not liable for a compensation payment in this situation."
Interesting, a colleague had the exact same response for a claim for BA2232 (BDA-LGW) on the 17th April. Even if there was an issue it was with the incoming aircraft and not the outgoing aircraft he was on so I thought EU261 applied in any case?
Old Apr 27, 2015, 4:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: ►QFWP/LTG►VA WP►HyattExpl.►HiltonGold►ALL Silver
Originally Posted by Batchtj
Just to let you know that Funds from BA have been credited to my account! Quicker than I thought too! It pays to be persistent. �� Hope everyone who is entitled to compensation gets what is due to them.
Thankyou for the feedback - it's really helpful to know it took less than a week after the telephone acceptance. ^
Old Apr 27, 2015, 6:01 am

Programs: IHG Plat, HHonors Diamond, BAEC
Best place to check flight timings re:delay?

Was on the BA354 LHR-NCE on 31st Mar and ended up arriving on just around the cusp of a 2hr delay.

Whilst this was the same day as many wind-related disruptions, a flight that was due to depart later than the 354 departed on time. The on-time flight was operated by a A320 whereas the 354 was an A321 so while there were weather-related delays, BA didn't make an attempt to mitigate the delay of the 354.

I've seen a couple of people in the past post detailed stats of landing time, but can't find these now so could anyone help with a linky? Then secondly, assuming that the delay is 2hr, any comment as to the potential of success, given that other LHR-NCE flights did operate to time?
Old Apr 27, 2015, 7:57 am

Hi guys,

Appreciate this isn't a BA-related flight but a) there's not a non-specific EU261 thread on the forum b) you guys are usually helpful anyway and c) I've bought some of you drinks before, so that may count for something

Had a flight on Sunday PRA-LGW. Got a call from the TA on Saturday saying it was pushed back by 2 hours (from 20:00 to 22:00), so it eventually landed at 23:34 instead of the original time of 20:55. Flightstats.co.uk is still showing the original scheduled departure/arrival (20:00-20:55) instead of the changed times (22:00-22:55).

1) Do I have a claim here? Moving the flight at such short notice seems a bit rich!
1b) If I do, how about the £50 taxi I had to take home because the trains were useless by the time I got out?
2) Do I make a claim directly to the airline or to the TA?

Side note, the Mastercard lounge in PRA seems quite nice...
Old Apr 27, 2015, 10:50 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Anybody has any idea/experience?
Originally Posted by nufnuf77
I have a quick question for the clever people here.
I had two flights on the same PNR within EU connecting in London. First flight (from VIE) early in the morning arriving at LHR at 9am and it was on time.
Then I had a day in London and departed from LGW for GLA in the evening. This flight arrived with 151 minutes of delay. I thought I would claim 250E for the 'above 2 hours delay on a flight <1500km'. Can I do this, or does the whole ticket have to be taken into account (thus pushing the distance >1500km VIE-GLA)?
Old Apr 27, 2015, 11:50 am

Programs: BA Gold. IHG Platinum Ambassador
I have a claim in for a flight that BA said was delayed due to a bird strike so EU261 does not apply.

The flight that must have been affected was at least 2 legs earlier. ie :-

<somewhere unknown> to LGW has a birdstrike
LGW to BDA is delayed due to the required repair
BDA to LGW (my flight) is delayed due to the late incoming plane

I assume there must be some point where BA cannot keep blaming a single historical event and denying EU261 claims but I am unclear if this is stated clearly in the legislation?
Old Apr 27, 2015, 12:54 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by greyt
I have a claim in for a flight that BA said was delayed due to a bird strike so EU261 does not apply.

The flight that must have been affected was at least 2 legs earlier. ie :-

<somewhere unknown> to LGW has a birdstrike
LGW to BDA is delayed due to the required repair
BDA to LGW (my flight) is delayed due to the late incoming plane

I assume there must be some point where BA cannot keep blaming a single historical event and denying EU261 claims but I am unclear if this is stated clearly in the legislation?
I personally think this should be claim-able. They could have sent a different aircraft from LGW, it's their base afterall. It's not as if your plane or the one coming to BDA was stricken.
Old Apr 27, 2015, 3:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: ►QFWP/LTG►VA WP►HyattExpl.►HiltonGold►ALL Silver
I would hardly think a "Bird Strike" represents "extraordinary circumstances" in this EU context.

Since you have already had communication with BA I would suggest you carefully read and understand pertinent parts of posts 1 through 7 of this very thread.

Once done, follow the "Letter before Action" and "Money Claim UK".

Also, see here: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/23021874-post832.html
Old Apr 27, 2015, 4:02 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold. GGL/CCR.
Originally Posted by serfty
I would hardly think a "Bird Strike" represents "extraordinary circumstances" in this EU context.
I would serfty. On the basis that the bird strike couldn't have been avoided by any reasonable measure it should be considered an extraordinary circumstance.
Old Apr 27, 2015, 4:05 pm

Originally Posted by golfmad
I would serfty. On the basis that the bird strike couldn't have been avoided by any reasonable measure it should be considered an extraordinary circumstance.
It isn't relevant to the flight posted. There was opportunity for BA to address the issue.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.