Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

The 2015 BA compensation thread: Your guide to Regulation 261/2004

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The 2015 BA compensation thread: Your guide to Regulation 261/2004

Search this Thread

Old May 24, 2015, 8:13 am

Yeah will do. Our flight was delayed 2.5 hours going there but won't get nothing for this

Have you ever heard of the Renaissance Hotel not giving drinks out? BA desk said food drinks & breakfast were included
Raj the manager say BA never give drinks for their hotel!? We had pints so doubt they will pay us for that
Old May 24, 2015, 8:36 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club
Original Poster

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by craigmmorq4
Have you ever heard of the Renaissance Hotel not giving drinks out? BA desk said food drinks & breakfast were included
Raj the manager say BA never give drinks for their hotel!? We had pints so doubt they will pay us for that
What I think happens is that at the evening buffet they do put out some juice and water on the long white table, but that's probably not what you meant! They will give you coffee at the end of the meal too.

So long as it was beer, larger or cider I think it would be reasonable to send in the receipt and ask BA to pay the for the first pint. Or a glass of wine. If it was a pint of gin I'd only send it in for its novelty value.
Old May 24, 2015, 9:24 am

we only had water and had to pay for our drinks. Poor show by BA for not giving drinks vouchers as i assumed it would be included.

We arrived at 10:30 at hotel so only the bar was open
Old May 24, 2015, 10:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
Originally Posted by craigmmorq4
we only had water and had to pay for our drinks. Poor show by BA for not giving drinks vouchers as i assumed it would be included.

We arrived at 10:30 at hotel so only the bar was open

You mean no drinks at all were included (water, tea, soft drinks) or just that no alcoholic drinks were free?.

Some airlines specifically exclude reimbursement of alcoholic drinks or from their meal arrangements.
Old May 24, 2015, 10:57 am

Originally Posted by GemmaC25
Came back to update!

So after a long 8-9 hours we eventually made it to heathrow. Someone has our names on an iPad and we were told we'd been booked on a flight via Munich. We were told to go along to the connections desk and ignore the queue because we were tight on time, but understandably a man in the queue started becoming irate at us 'pushing in' so we went back to the woman with iPad for help. She came along to print out boarding passes but by this point, given that we'd been awake since 4am and the flight not getting us into Zagreb until 10:30pm we asked to be booked on the direct flight in the morning. She said this would be fine and to go to the back of the queue to do this.

Get to the front of queue, new lady informs is direct flight in the morning is full! We ask if we can still make the one this evening to be told no, but after a couple of phone calls managed in the end to get us booked on the direct flight at 8:30am tomorrow morning.

We're booked in the Park Inn but to be honest as long as it's got a working shower and a bed right now I don't care! Up early for the Monday morning rush to get our flight.
I submited my claim for compensation on 18th May but didn't receive any reference number/auto acknowledgement. Now I am home I have submitted it again.

Our hotel at Heathrow (Park Inn) also didn't include drinks, so I've kept the receipt for 1 glass beer/1 glass wine that we had. I also mentioned we weren't given food/drink vouchers during our 8.5 hour delay at NCL and I have the receipt for that, do they request you send them in as they process your claim? Is it paid on top of the delay compensation?
Old May 24, 2015, 11:06 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club
Original Poster

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by GemmaC25
Our hotel at Heathrow (Park Inn) also didn't include drinks, so I've kept the receipt for 1 glass beer/1 glass wine that we had. I also mentioned we weren't given food/drink vouchers during our 8.5 hour delay at NCL and I have the receipt for that, do they request you send them in as they process your claim? Is it paid on top of the delay compensation?
You can put them together into just one claim if you want, but food and drinks are often paid by Customer Relations rather than the EC/261 team. So you may see that aspect paid sooner if you send the receipts in separately, and mention in both claims. Food and drink is paid on top of EC/261 cash compensation if it wasn't provided at the time.
Old May 24, 2015, 11:44 am

Programs: BAEC
Originally Posted by UKtravelbear
You mean no drinks at all were included (water, tea, soft drinks) or just that no alcoholic drinks were free?.

Some airlines specifically exclude reimbursement of alcoholic drinks or from their meal arrangements.

What does the EU Reg state? I do not know how much restriction BA can reasonably put on the type of refreshment (although some extravagent refreshemens would clearly be excluded).

Out of curiousity would it not be easier to use the BAPP or other Travel Insurance in these cases?
Old May 24, 2015, 11:51 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Originally Posted by flieduk
What does the EU Reg state? I do not know how much restriction BA can reasonably put on the type of refreshment (although some extravagent refreshemens would clearly be excluded).

Out of curiousity would it not be easier to use the BAPP or other Travel Insurance in these cases?
EC 261/2004 simply establishes a "duty of care" which would provide for lodgings, food, transport to/from the hotel and communications, e.g. a calling card to call home. It does not require any specific type of hotel, nor does it specify what is reasonable for food.

Basic rule is that if you are on a voucher, you get what the voucher provides. If no voucher, don't spend what you are not prepared to wind up paying for yourself. If you don't get reimbursed for liquor, there's no rule requiring it and nothing you can do.

Presuming that your travel interruption insurance provides more flexibility and coverage than whatever the carrier has on offer by way of duty of care, it's easier and better to go with that. No muss, no fuss, you know the parameters of what you can spend.
Old May 24, 2015, 11:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
Originally Posted by flieduk

Article 9.1.(a) states

meals and refreshments in a reasonable relation to the waiting time;
To me 'refreshments' means water, tea, juice etc. but 'drinks' would include alcohol.

A few years ago I was in a hotel near the NEC and there were pax from a delayed flight. When their orders were being taken for dinner the staff were quite clear that if someone wanted an alcoholic drink they would be billed separately for it (and no they wouldn't fiddle the order to get around it)
Old May 24, 2015, 12:00 pm

Ah right so wasn't just us...we were told by ba Agent that drinks were included ..he didn't say alcohol or soft drinks...
I'm.going to buy an air France ticket with my EU compensation payout
Old May 24, 2015, 12:02 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by UKtravelbear
To me 'refreshments' means water, tea, juice etc. but 'drinks' would include alcohol.
Well that's getting a bit subjective, what is more objective is the word "reasonable". A pint of lemonade can easily be in a similar price zone as a pint of beer in a London hotel. As it happens, I'm aware that BA has in the past paid for some beer or wine in these situations.
Old May 25, 2015, 10:41 am

OK Guys. Thus will be one for the BA supporters to get their backs up. As you may have seen I claimed against BA for their 22 Hour delay and after a MCOL they paid out the 600Euros. However I became very annoyed at their lies, obfuscation and also their snotty nosed holier than though attitude.
So I emailed them and asked their reasoning for not rerouting me and other Economy passengers as specified in the EU Regulations when they did reroute some Business class.
Their reply to me was that as they did not have any other BA flights back to the UK on that day there was no obligation on them to offer me rerouting. They completely ignored the fact that they rerouted some Business class punters onto a TG flight. I reminded them that the EU rules state they do indeed have to offer to reroute customers onto any carriers and once again they have disagreed. This has really got my back up now and has become a matter of principle. I complained to the CAA ages ago and they are 'allegedly' still dealing with it. What if anything can I do?
Old May 25, 2015, 10:59 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Tony West
I reminded them that the EU rules state they do indeed have to offer to reroute customers onto any carriers and once again they have disagreed. This has really got my back up now and has become a matter of principle. I complained to the CAA ages ago and they are 'allegedly' still dealing with it. What if anything can I do?
Which EU rule is this?

The relevant clause that I am aware of in EC/261 is quoted below, and unfortunately it does not specify "other" or indeed "any" carriers. I think the lawmakers probably intended it to mean that, but regrettably this isn't specified clearly in the legislation.

To the best of my knowledge, no EU airline applies EC/261 with that interpretation on a consistent basis. The low cost carriers, with one flight a week, will cheerfully put people up a week in a hotel until their next service, for example, though if people take matters into their own hands and bill the airlines for alternative travel they do tend to pay up.

BA tends to re-route to other carriers more than any other major airline outside the USA, but as you imply, they generally do that for CW/First/status passengers on the whole. This doesn't seem to be EC/261 related, they have worked that way for as long as I can remember, and certainly before the current Regulation came into effect. In a way BA should do more of it to reduce their liabilities (e.g. getting people to their destination within 2 to 4 hours) and I suspect they don't due to the hard work involved versus the likely position that not all people make claims even when entitled to them.

Originally Posted by EC/261
(12) The trouble and inconvenience to passengers caused by cancellation of flights should also be reduced. This should be achieved by inducing carriers to inform passengers of cancellations before the scheduled time of departure and in addition to offer them reasonable rerouting, so that the passengers can make other arrangements. Air carriers should compensate passengers if they fail to do this, except when the cancellation occurs in extraordinary circumstances which could not have been avoided even if all reasonable measures had been taken.
Old May 25, 2015, 12:15 pm

No drinks at all except tap water
Old May 25, 2015, 3:06 pm

Programs: BA GGL, HH Diamond
If you are re-routed on another carrier are you not entitled to the reduced rate of compensation as long as the re-route gets you there 1 minute later than your scheduled BA arrival?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.