Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

The 2015 BA compensation thread: Your guide to Regulation 261/2004

The 2015 BA compensation thread: Your guide to Regulation 261/2004

Closed Thread

Old Mar 20, 15, 4:35 am

Original booking: BA94 14 March YUL LHR connecting to BA982 LHR TXL 15 March, scheduled arrival 13:00.

We pushed back on time, but BA94 ended up leaving YUL almost 3 hours late due to de-icing, lack of fuel, re-fueling and another de-icing. We then missed our connection in London, and were rebooked on BA994, arrival at 17:30, e.g. 4 1/2 hours later than scheduled.

Under this scenario, are we eligible for any compensation?
Old Mar 20, 15, 5:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

That would seem to be a weather related issue which would not be eligible for compensation
Old Mar 20, 15, 11:18 am

Programs: IHG Plat, Accor gold, M&M FTL, BA Blue, A3 *Gold
Originally Posted by Dave Noble View Post
That would seem to be a weather related issue which would not be eligible for compensation
Unless the "lack of fuel" bit is "de-icing, and not enough fuel to even allow for minor delays with that, so re-fuel ("fill her up this time, will ya"), another de-ice, take-off" in reality.
Old Mar 20, 15, 11:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist & Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Originally Posted by tom tulpe View Post
Unless the "lack of fuel" bit is "de-icing, and not enough fuel to even allow for minor delays with that, so re-fuel ("fill her up this time, will ya"), another de-ice, take-off" in reality.
You might be in for a fight if you push that one

Do let us know though if you do!
Old Mar 21, 15, 9:02 am

CAA naming and shaming airlines.

I must have missed something, just where has there been a ruling saying the limitations act doesn't apply and claims are only possible for incidents two years prior?
Old Mar 21, 15, 11:08 am

Originally Posted by hugolover View Post
CAA naming and shaming airlines.

I must have missed something, just where has there been a ruling saying the limitations act doesn't apply and claims are only possible for incidents two years prior?
The rule arises in the Montreal Convention. It is very explicit.

"Article 35.
1. The right to damages shall be extinguished if an action is not brought within a period of two years, reckoned from the date of arrival at the destination, or from the date on which the aircraft ought to have arrived, or from the date on which the carriage stopped. "
(http://www.jus.uio.no/lm/air.carriag...l.1999/35.html)

This was overruled in Dawson v. Thomson Airlines.

Thomson Airlines applied to the Supreme Court for permission to appeal, but the Supreme Court declined to hear their case. https://www.supremecourt.uk/news/fli...istration.html
Old Mar 21, 15, 3:03 pm

Originally Posted by Calchas View Post
The rule arises in the Montreal Convention. It is very explicit.

"Article 35.
1. The right to damages shall be extinguished if an action is not brought within a period of two years, reckoned from the date of arrival at the destination, or from the date on which the aircraft ought to have arrived, or from the date on which the carriage stopped. "
(http://www.jus.uio.no/lm/air.carriag...l.1999/35.html)

This was overruled in Dawson v. Thomson Airlines.

Thomson Airlines applied to the Supreme Court for permission to appeal, but the Supreme Court declined to hear their case. https://www.supremecourt.uk/news/fli...istration.html
But as you said, the Court dismissed the Appeal and they were refused further permission to appeal. So why are they saying the courts affirmed it is 2 years and not 6 when they haven't its a matter of 261? It's just misleading and wrong.
Old Mar 21, 15, 4:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

But as you said, the Court dismissed the Appeal and they were refused further permission to appeal. So why are they saying the courts affirmed it is 2 years and not 6 when they haven't its a matter of 261? It's just misleading and wrong.
Indeed. There have been no less than 4 cases (ex parte IATA, Sturgeon, Nelson and Cuadrench Moré) in which the CJEU has insisted that Reg 261/2004 actions are distinct from Montreal Convention claims and that therefore the various limitations/defences in the latter are not relevant to Reg 261/2004 claims. This has regrettably not prevented some airlines from pretending that they don't know/don't understand and ignore this CJEU caselaw. Draw your own conclusions as to whether this implies anything regarding the honesty and integrity of these airlines.
Old Mar 22, 15, 8:04 pm

I misunderstood your question, sorry

Presumably some DJ somewhere agreed with the airline once, and the claimant didn't take it any further.

I am surprised the airlines really give a toss, how many three year old 261 claims can people really be bothered to drag up? Thomson must have spent a fortune on defending that 1400 gbp claim at the Court of Appeal.

If I were the airline I'd have offered no comment, but insisted on boarding pass stubs being presented during the claim procedure: almost everyone will have thrown them out after two years.
Old Mar 22, 15, 9:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

If I were the airline I'd have offered no comment, but insisted on boarding pass stubs being presented during the claim procedure: almost everyone will have thrown them out after two years.
That would be an unreasonable request and would amost certainly not be accepted as reasonable by a court as grounds to be exempt from paying the claimant

That the claimant did not have a booking/travel with the airline would be something which the airline could produce as evidence if this was the case.

The airline already has the names of those that were booked on the flight
Old Mar 23, 15, 12:40 pm

That would be an unreasonable request and would amost certainly not be accepted as reasonable by a court as grounds to be exempt from paying the claimant
I didn't say anything about using that strategy in court.
Old Mar 23, 15, 1:53 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver, Virgin Flying Club, SPG
So...you're simply advocating airlines adopt inherently unfair and onerous conditions on passengers in the hope that it dupes or dissuades as many people as possible from claiming a financial compensation they are legally entitled to?
Old Mar 23, 15, 4:49 pm

Originally Posted by Magic01273 View Post
So...you're simply advocating airlines adopt inherently unfair and onerous conditions on passengers in the hope that it dupes or dissuades as many people as possible from claiming a financial compensation they are legally entitled to?
That is the sort of thing I would suggest if I were contracted to minimize claimants. Feel free not to hire me

I don't understand why you would make a statement at this time. It would just encourage claimants to come forward.
Old Mar 23, 15, 5:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

You think that such an attitude from the company is amusing ?
Old Mar 23, 15, 5:12 pm

You think that such an attitude from the company is amusing ?
Yes

Search this Thread