Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Earning Avios with Kaligo (Too good to be true?)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 14, 2015, 4:20 am

Programs: BA Gold (and many other greater and lesser distinctions)
There is currently a promo which is linked to the BA Amex, and registration seems to be via a BA Amex e-mail link. There is a basic 5,000 Avios bonus and then a spend related bonus :-

"British Airways Executive Club Offer: up to 20,000 bonus Avios
Plus, as an Executive Club member you can also earn bonus Avios when you spend at least a cumulative £250 on hotel bookings by 30 September 2015 and stay by 1 July 2016."

SPEND UP TO £249 - 5,000 bonus Avios

SPEND £250 - £499 - 8,000 bonus Avios

SPEND £500 - £999 - 15,000 bonus Avios

SPEND £1,000 OR MORE - 25,000 bonus Avios"

I am looking at a stay at one of the major chains and the Kaligo rate is exactly the same at the hotel website, and the hotel is not available at all on most of the 'discount' websites where 10%+ cashback might be an option (such as Expedia). The booking will cost £2,000 and will net a total of 33,000 Avios (i.e. the 25,000 bonus + 8,000 base Avios). Not at all a bad deal.

Last edited by Frequentflyer99; Jul 14, 2015 at 4:37 am
Old Jul 14, 2015, 9:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: BA, VS, HH, IHG, MB, MR
Assuming your other half is going and has a supp BAPP (or their own) better to split into two £1,000 bookings back to bacl.
Old Jul 14, 2015, 9:34 am

Originally Posted by Raffles
Assuming your other half is going and has a supp BAPP (or their own) better to split into two £1,000 bookings back to bacl.
Is it really a separate bonus for each card rather than each account, given that there was only one invitation e-mail ?

As it happens Mrs FF99 (who actually has the primary card) is not going with me, but I can't see, if you are right, why I could not book 2 nights + 2 nights both bookings in my own name, and simply pay for each with a different card.

But do you really think that would work ??
Old Jul 15, 2015, 2:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: BA, VS, HH, IHG, MB, MR
Originally Posted by Frequentflyer99
Is it really a separate bonus for each card rather than each account, given that there was only one invitation e-mail ?

As it happens Mrs FF99 (who actually has the primary card) is not going with me, but I can't see, if you are right, why I could not book 2 nights + 2 nights both bookings in my own name, and simply pay for each with a different card.

But do you really think that would work ??
If you look at the relevant Head for Points article, the COO of Kaligo (who I met in Singapore in May and is a good bloke, fully supportive of such initiatives!) posted in the comments that supplementary cards would also trigger the bonus - effectively, they cannot tell whether a card is a supp or not anyway, only that it is a BA Amex.

The only rule is that the 2nd booking must come from a different Kaligo.com account as the bonus is 'once per Kaligo.com account and once per BA Amex card number'.
Old Jul 15, 2015, 3:13 am

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold & GGL & CCR, HH Diam, Bonvoy Titanium, IHG Spire, Tastecard

I've swapped a few upcoming bookings to kaligo and am earning 21,700 avios I otherwise wouldn't have (and haven't triggered the GBP 1,000 bonus- might aim for that as well).

Cost overall hasn't gone up for me so great deal.
Old Jul 15, 2015, 3:31 am

I've been booking hotels in Cornwall (no chains except Travelodge) all this year.I can find hotels for a similar price to booking direct,and have earned thousands of bonus avios.

Currently doing the same for Virgin.
Old Jul 15, 2015, 3:54 am

Originally Posted by Raffles
If you look at the relevant Head for Points article, the COO of Kaligo (who I met in Singapore in May and is a good bloke, fully supportive of such initiatives!) posted in the comments that supplementary cards would also trigger the bonus - effectively, they cannot tell whether a card is a supp or not anyway, only that it is a BA Amex.

The only rule is that the 2nd booking must come from a different Kaligo.com account as the bonus is 'once per Kaligo.com account and once per BA Amex card number'.
Raffles,

Before your post I had already e-mailed Kaligo to enquire, and was staggered by the efficiency of their response times to 3 separate queries. They (unsurprisingly) have confirmed all that you have said. They did mention that the two accounts have to be linked to separate EC numbers.

As a word of warning they did also say: "Bonus Avios is issued subject to BAEC Terms and Conditions hence there will have the right to reject if they found that cardholder is double dipping the miles earn."

Helpfully, they also confirmed that it does not matter in whose name the actual booking is made. QED (but subject to their warning about 'double-dipping'), I can split my up-coming booking into two parts, both in my own name, albeit both made through different Kaligo accounts which are in different names, and hopefully trigger the bonus twice over.

Amazing if it works ! What would we do without you ??
Old Jul 21, 2015, 2:45 pm

There is currently a promo which is linked to the BA Amex, and registration seems to be via a BA Amex e-mail link. There is a basic 5,000 Avios bonus and then a spend related bonus :-
I signed up for this and stayed at a hotel last Wednesday. Received confirmation that I had earned 300 base Avios and the 5000 bonus Avios, but only the 300 have posted to BAEC. Has anyone had the basic bonus amount post yet?
Old Jul 25, 2015, 5:50 am

Just to update on this - points posted today, without any chasing needed. Very happy indeed.
Old Jul 30, 2015, 7:37 am

Programs: BA Bronze
I've been doing a Kaligo search for hotels in Bangkok and the cancellable options for the Shangri-La all seem to involve immediate prepayment with a refund if the booking is cancelled before arrival.

Does anyone know if this is the standard modus operandi for Kaligo or is it specific to Thailand/Shangri-La?
Old Aug 2, 2015, 8:58 am

I've noticed that sometimes they list the same hotel several times but with different prices
Old Aug 2, 2015, 9:18 am

Originally Posted by Hannibal Lecter
I've noticed that sometimes they list the same hotel several times but with different prices
Check the cancellation policies - some may offer more flexibility than others. I have 3 up and coming reservations booked with Kaligo and they are booked/offered via different third parties (gullivers/roomsxml) who are themselves bed banks to the travel industry. All 3 I've compared to hotel direct websites 2/3 were marginally more expensive (£5-10 per night) and the other was £34 cheaper. All are earning avios and bonus avios where applicable. I value avios so the additional spend on 2/3 stays was worthwhile to me (1 night stays) and the 3rd stay was a non brainer. ^
Old Aug 5, 2015, 11:18 am

Originally Posted by 1Aturnleft
Check the cancellation policies - some may offer more flexibility than others.

Everything was identical.,
The are other oddities eg you can book Holiday Inn London Heathrow Bath Road - Sipson Way
which is no longer a Holiday Inn.
It became a http://www.leonardo-hotels.com/ a couple of months ago.
Old Aug 5, 2015, 11:24 am

Programs: BA GGL

"British Airways Executive Club Offer: up to 20,000 bonus Avios
Plus, as an Executive Club member you can also earn bonus Avios when you spend at least a cumulative £250 on hotel bookings by 30 September 2015 and stay by 1 July 2016."

SPEND UP TO £249 - 5,000 bonus Avios

SPEND £250 - £499 - 8,000 bonus Avios

SPEND £500 - £999 - 15,000 bonus Avios

SPEND £1,000 OR MORE - 25,000 bonus Avios"

I am looking at a stay at one of the major chains and the Kaligo rate is exactly the same at the hotel website, and the hotel is not available at all on most of the 'discount' websites where 10%+ cashback might be an option (such as Expedia). The booking will cost £2,000 and will net a total of 33,000 Avios (i.e. the 25,000 bonus + 8,000 base Avios). Not at all a bad deal.
do you know how you get this offer, or is it by invitation only? I have the BAPP as well as a Kaligo account.
Old Aug 5, 2015, 11:54 am

Originally Posted by snuffi
do you know how you get this offer, or is it by invitation only? I have the BAPP as well as a Kaligo account.
https://www.kaligo.com/#/ba-avios-q3

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.