Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

How much more of your own money would you pay to fly BA?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

How much more of your own money would you pay to fly BA?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 9, 2015, 1:50 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, Falconflyer Gold, The Ritz-Carlton Silver
It really depends on how 'cheap' the cheaper carrier is, and also schedule.

For example, there have been times when I have paid over £200 to fly BA domestically straight into LCY, even when I could have booked onto Ryanair's STN flights for £39.95 roundtrip, as they are usually day trips and time is of the essence. On the other hand, I have paid more for easyJet than British Airways when I needed to get to my destination non stop, as opposed to spend 4 hours in LHR/LGW.

Last week I needed to get from Bangkok to Macau. The choice I was considering was either EK's A380 service in F or Air Asia's low cost A320. The Air Asia flight flew straight to Macau at the perfect time of day, and cost be damned it simply suited me better, shower or no shower. When I'm pressed for time then schedule will always trump carrier and comfort, because what is the point if I get there more relaxed but at the wrong time?

Generally speaking, though, if all was the same, I'd be willing to pay a maximum of £70.00 over another carrier to be in an environment I am comfortable in and enjoy status/points. If I need 20 TPs or such to reach Gold (as is the case now), then I will be willing to spend a bit more.

I think the best thing about flying with BA is that we have recourse should something go wrong. There have been many a time when, either through my fault or that of the airline, I have been in need of changing flights, getting onto another one, etcetera, and I'd hate to think about the position I'd had been in if I was flying FR or U2 on that day.

Long haul, mind you, is a different story, and I have paid more than £500 before to fly BA as opposed to GF, the other main carrier on my route, because I find them unprofessional, uncomfortable and generally have no customer service.

To characterise my hate for them, I was comped Gulf Air Gold due to my spend on the GF credit card and offered 2 round trip Business Class tickets LHR-BAH-LHR, and I am yet to take them up on either offer. The last time I flew them full fare I was put in a J seat that wouldn't recline and paid no compensation.
Old Jan 9, 2015, 2:07 am

Programs: I am a lowly ant
My nearest airport is LHR, so for taxis and so on BA is cheaper.

For LGW flights, where the choice is EZY or BA, BA will give you a meagre snack, and and a glass of wine. The value of this is probably around £6, each-way, so £12 return. Add on Avios, 2814 on say LGW-RAK, which I would pay £20 for, and then a fee for having slightly greater confidence in BA than EZY, say another £7.50 (times 4 passengers, so actually £30), and I get a £40 premium.

Obviously other considerations usually play into it, e.g., the EZY flight LGW-RAK is at 06:25 which is going to ruin my holiday, whereas BA is at 15:05, which won't.
Old Jan 9, 2015, 2:53 am
Formerly known as Tim Farrell

I'd pay £10 or so extra to fly HBO from Glasgow to LGW compared to the Easyjet base fare. That's because a) the same £10 would get me seat 1C on EZY and b) I would earn 1250 Avios for the return journey.

Travelling within Europe, BA would have to be significantly cheaper than a direct flight from Glasgow or Edinburgh to my destination. The connection in London turns a morning arrival into a teatime/evening arrival.
Old Jan 9, 2015, 5:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci des Delices Exotiques,Order of the Platinum Hairbrush,Her Royal Diamond
All my travels come from my own money. I choose EK and BA for their good service. I go out of my way to fly BA even though it is easier to fly AF.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.