FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   British Airways | Executive Club (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club-446/)
-   -   Tesco and BA - 2015 master thread (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club/1643339-tesco-ba-2015-master-thread.html)

Raffles Jan 6, 2015 8:51 am

Tesco and BA - 2015 master thread

Tesco is a major partner with BA and offers one of the easiest non-flying ways for UK BAEC members to earn lots of miles.

Full details of how the Tesco scheme works can be found in “The Ultimate BA Guide” sticky. In summary, you can convert your Tesco Clubcard points to Avios in the ratio 1 Clubcard point = 2.4 Avios.

(You can also earn Virgin Flying Club miles via Tesco at the rate of 1 Clubcard point = 2.5 Flying Club miles. VS miles can be converted to Hilton at a 1:2 ratio so 1 Clubcard point = 5 Hilton points, albeit with a 10k minimum conversion from Virgin. You can also convert VS to IHG Rewards Club at a 1:1 ratio.)

You earn 1 point for every £1 spent in a Tesco store and for purchases online. Vouchers are issued quarterly by post as long as you earn at least 150 points. They can then be converted to points via the Tesco Clubcard website, into either avios.com or British Airways Executive Club.

The real source of bumper Tesco points are the generous promotions that are occasionally run. There is no need to move your food spend to Tesco to collect lots of Avios - you simply need to jump in when a particularly generous bonus points promotion appears, and then sell the goods on ebay! You will make a small loss in most cases but the thousands of miles will more than offset this.

As with the BA Amex, you can only convert Tesco points to BAEC accounts that are UK domiciled. However, since the launch of Avios this is no longer a major restriction. If your BA account is based outside the UK, nothing stops you opening a separate Avios account at avios.com, converting your Tesco points via that account (there is no address restriction if moving to an avios.com account) and then transferring them across to your BAEC account.

It is possible to set up an auto-convert option with Tesco via the Clubcard website, which will automatically send your vouchers across to Avios each quarter. However, this is not recommended. If you don't need the miles, it makes more sense to keep the vouchers in a drawer and wait until the next transfer promotion comes along.

There were NO Tesco to Avios conversion bonus in 2013 or 2014 although, in November 2015, a modest 20% bonus was launched, albeit capped at £100 of converted vouchers. There are also occasional promotions on non-Avios redemptions (shock, horror) which can be excellent value. Virgin Flying Club still runs 20%-25% conversion bonuses.

The online form to convert Clubcard vouchers to BAEC can be found here: http://www.tesco.com/clubcard/deals/product.aspx?R=237 You input the code number on the voucher - points hit your BAEC account in 24 hours.

Current bonus point promotions are listed in the wiki post at the top of this thread.

Bonus points currently available on various in-store grocery products are also usually highlighted at

If you have a small child, it is worth joining the Tesco Loves Baby Club (see http://www.tesco.com/babyclub/) as you will receive regular mailings with bonus points offers.

For a far more detailed focus on Tesco Clubcard deals and extra points opportunities, you should sign up to the forums at www.paidtoshop.co.uk, run by occasional FT'er Gizmos. I also run my own Tesco blog at Shopper Points.

The Tesco credit card

Following a major devaluation in December 2015, the Tesco Clubcard Credit Card earns 1 point for every £8 spent (rounded down on a per transaction, not per statement, basis - so a £7.99 purchase is treated as nothing). Points post as soon as the charge hits your account, not at month end. It works out at 0.3 Avios per £1 which is, frankly poor.

i) some places do not take Amex, especially independent retailers

ii) you earn a better rate when shopping at Tesco - 1 Clubcard point for every £4 charged to your Tesco credit card, equivalent to 0.6 Avios

iii) if you about to trigger the '2 for 1' voucher on your Amex but would rather defer it for a few months, you can switch to your Tesco Mastercard

Note that your Tesco MasterCard also acts as a Clubcard, so you don't need to carry your blue clubcard around anymore. In a Tesco store you can, if you want, have your credit card swiped for use as a Clubcard and then pay using your BA Amex for maximum miles!

You can apply via this link http://www.tescobank.com/credit-cards/. AFTER receiving your card (not before!) you can apply for a 1,000 point 'I was referred by a friend' bonus. Post in this thread if you need a fellow Tesco MasterCard holder to refer you.

The Tesco MasterCard is still the best free MasterCard or Visa for earning Avios points. (The HSBC Premier MasterCard earns more, at 0.5 Avios per £1, but this card is very difficult to qualify for.)

However, there are alternatives. I suggest the the Lloyds Avios Rewards credit card (an American Express and MasterCard double pack). The headline MasterCard rate is lower at 0.2 Avios per £1 but, because they don't mess about with 'rounding down per transaction' the actual rate you get is probably similar to the Tesco card. Your spending also counts towards the upgrade vouchers for Avios redemptions earned with the Lloyds card. This card also has no foreign exchange fees. The downside is the £24 annual fee.

If you discover any new Tesco offers, post them here!

Raffles Jan 6, 2015 9:01 am

This is the new 2015 Tesco thread. The wiki has also been tidied up and all links updated. All we need now is a conversion bonus :-)

Blueboys999 Jan 6, 2015 9:05 am

I'd like to offer my annual 'Thank you' to Raffles for this thread and its predecessors which have saved me a lot of money over the 10 years I've been around here.

One of the BA board's best features for me. ^

Paralytic Jan 6, 2015 9:08 am

My local store has 3V cards.

Just wanted to get in there early :D

steve1975l Jan 6, 2015 9:49 am

Originally Posted by Paralytic (Post 24111631)

Lucky, has it been re-stocked recently?

thejohn Jan 6, 2015 10:09 am

I would like to add my thanks too Raffles
John

mike&co Jan 6, 2015 10:17 am

Originally Posted by Blueboys999 (Post 24111616)
I'd like to offer my annual 'Thank you' to Raffles for this thread and its predecessors which have saved me a lot of money over the 10 years I've been around here.

One of the BA board's best features for me. ^

👍

Calum Jan 6, 2015 10:23 am

Originally Posted by Paralytic (Post 24111631)

Seem to be well stocked all over Scotland right now. 2 stores in Inverness had them as of yesterday, the main one in Perth had them and one in Glasgow last week. Never brought any because I still don't know what all the fuss is about.

Leeski Jan 6, 2015 10:30 am

Originally Posted by Calum (Post 24112130)
Seem to be well stocked all over Scotland right now. 2 stores in Inverness had them as of yesterday, the main one in Perth had them and one in Glasgow last week. Never brought any because I still don't know what all the fuss is about.

Free points - that's what the fuss is about!

Also, many thanks to Raffles for his great thread/wiki and wonderful website!

Calum Jan 6, 2015 10:37 am

Originally Posted by Leeski (Post 24112176)
Free points - that's what the fuss is about!

Also, many thanks to Raffles for his great thread/wiki and wonderful website!

If one was to buy lets say 5 of them for £250, how much Avois would you actually get from it? It just seems like a bit of a waste of time...

Leeski Jan 6, 2015 10:39 am

Originally Posted by Calum (Post 24112229)
If one was to buy lets say 5 of them for £250, how much Avois would you actually get from it? It just seems like a bit of a waste of time...

1800 if my maths is correct.

Calum Jan 6, 2015 10:45 am

Originally Posted by Leeski (Post 24112247)

I might buy a few next time I'm in Tesco.

xcalx Jan 6, 2015 10:59 am

Originally Posted by Leeski (Post 24112247)

Which it is not.:) 5, 3Vs would would get you 720 avios, 10, 3Vs would however get you the 1800 Avios

Raffles Jan 6, 2015 11:04 am

Bought £65 of itunes cards at lunchtime, 20 per cent discount (until 11 Jan) plus 150 CC points. Can't complain!

Leeski Jan 6, 2015 11:15 am

Originally Posted by xcalx (Post 24112404)
Which it is not.:) 5, 3Vs would would get you 720 avios, 10, 3Vs would however get you the 1800 Avios

Well, if he's buying 5 3Vs then he;s only spending £125 anyway - so going on £250 spend at 5x £50 = £250, giving 5x 150 CC points/£50 spent totaling 750, times 2.4 to convert into Avios would surely give 1800?

(Not counting any possible Avios earned from Amex etc)