Can I get 2 round trip flights on the same booking

Old Jan 3, 15, 1:06 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA Bronze

I want to fly to MCO from Dublin in April/May - obviously to reduce the cost of that leg.
I live near Newcastle and so I have to factor in the return flights between Newcastle to Dublin.
Then I need my return flights between Dublin and MCO (BA outbound and AA inbound).
If I ring BA to arrange my flights, could both return flights be done on one booking??
The first return flight would be from Newcastle to Dublin via Heathrow on 19th April and the return would be on 19th May.
The second return flight would be from Dublin to MCO with BA on 20th April (after overnight stay in Dublin) and then return to Dublin on 18th May from MCO (using AA via ORD).
I could then return to Newcastle from Dublin on 19th May.
I hope that this is clear even if it does sound daft.
It is £1,500 cheaper to do this than flying to MCO from Newcastle. We don't mind the flight connections but it would be good if both sets of flights could be done on one booking so that we wouldn't have to worry about our luggage each way.
Thank you so much for any help advice which anyone could offer.

Katie
Old Jan 3, 15, 3:38 pm

Programs: I go wherever the content takes me.

As you're stopping overnight (on the outbound), I'm not sure what sort of worry you're trying to avoid with your bags. You will need to collect them, take them to your hotel, and recheck them the following morning. DUB won't hold a bag overnight.

Is your concern about the return leg? How much time do you have at DUB?
Old Jan 3, 15, 3:53 pm

Programs: AA Exec Plat, Marriot Gold, Hilton Gold
Smile

Try to find the price as well for TPA it may be chepaer, and TPA is just 1 hour away using the I-4 freeway.

Have fun in Orlando.
Old Jan 3, 15, 3:58 pm

I think it would cost you quite a bit more than buying two separate tickets - unless you are planning to spend > 24 hours in DUB, you'd be charged long haul APD.
Old Jan 3, 15, 4:04 pm

Programs: FB Plat; BAEC Gold
BA would be able to price this up as one trip but this would be classed as a multi city and not two returns, multi city may not price the same as the 2 returns. If its BA outbound I assume it's via LGW which will includes another connection.

Someone may know otherwise but a call to BA would confirm. If it does increase the price significantly, Ryanair may be a better option, especially if you are planning to overnight anyway.
Old Jan 3, 15, 4:20 pm
TPJ

Programs: TK*G (E+), AA OWE (EXP), IHG Plat
If BA cannot handle this a good Travel Agency will. My record was a reservation with 17 segments and 4 separate tickets spread among oneWorld and Star Alliance (Europe-USA-Europe-Argentina-Europe-Thailand-Europe).
Old Jan 3, 15, 5:38 pm

Programs: BA GGL (no longer CCR), Hertz PC, Hilton Diamond
I'm not entirely clear what you're trying to achieve.

The risk of course is that it prices up like NCL - MCO instead of NCL-DUB + DUB-MCO.

If you're overnighting in DUB then that takes care of things on the outbound... if however you're looking to interline your baggage on the return then things might get more complicated with things like minimum connect times, etc.

Which airline will NCL - DUB be on? Presumably you're not doing NCL-LHR-DUB first.
Old Jan 3, 15, 6:08 pm

Book your Newcastle - Dublin tickets separately (or a return trip NCL / DUB separately). You can fly direct with Aer Lingus for around £25 each way, if you book now. Ryanair also have direct flights.

Palmer
Old Jan 3, 15, 6:16 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: BAEC GGL/CCR, Hilton Diamond, Starbucks Gold
It is not daft, and is exactly what I am doing in July, although flying to Dublin from Manchester with FR. Cost wise you will need this as two separate tickets but you could have your DUB/LHR or LGW/MCO nested within your NCL/LHR/DUB return but easy enough to book as two tickets. Is there a reason why you want to fly BA via LHR to Dublin?

Can I also suggest the following:

Flight 1 DUB to LHR or LGW
Flight 2 LGW to MCO
Flight 3 MCO to LGW
Flight 4 LHR to NCL
Flight 5 LHR to DUB

You would simply not show for the final flight. This is doable and adds only a small cost to cost without flight 4. Will mean you need to transfer from LGW to LHR but saves flying to and from Dublin again.
Old Jan 3, 15, 6:36 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: BAEC GGL/CCR, Hilton Diamond, Starbucks Gold
Using the information supplied, matrix is pricing this up as £1403 for Y and £5742 in J when doing one ticket for all flights. However, just the DUB/MCO flights arecoming in at £422 in Y and £1095 in J with the return via ORD. Returning via London is £536 in Y and £1114 in J. Did spot the same route but with VS for £366 in Y.

If doing dUB/LON/MCO/ORD/DUB/LON/NCL then this can be had for £384 in Y, just leaving a separate flight to get to Dublin. Although this does add another connection via Miami.

Last edited by madfish; Jan 3, 15 at 6:46 pm
Old Jan 4, 15, 1:30 am
Original Poster

Thank you for all your replies. I will look at all your suggestions and then we.
We do fly in J long haul (Y is a no-go due to my husband's height & long legs) and as we do a lot of shopping while we're there, we appreciate the bigger baggage allowance which BA would give us.
We thought about Aer Lingus over to Dublin from Newcastle, but would need to pay for extra baggage so we though of using avios to cover the Newcastle to Dublin flights in Club Europe.
Most of the flights offered by BA involve flying into Gatwick and out of Heathrow which we are loathe to do.
We chose AA for our return flights to Dublin as we used them last year and prefer their seating to BA.
TBH I added in an overnight at Dublin on the outbound journey and car hire for the month and it is still costing less than the J flights alone which we did in October. We will also need to add on an extra bag or two for the DUB to NCL flights as the Club Europe tickets only allow 2 bags rather than 3. I though that you got an extra bag when you turned silver but I was wrong. Still it's only £40 each bag so that's fair enough.

Katie
Old Jan 4, 15, 1:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: HH Gold, BA Silver, Accor Silver
Note that AA have more than one sort of long haul J seat.

I plugged in some random dates - DUB-MCO-DUB comes back at EUR1332 whilst DUB-MCO-NCL (via JFK and LHR) is EUR1555.

For the avoidance of hassle, you may prefer to book an open jaw like that. You would save 9,000 Avios plus £25 from a one way J redemption DUB-LHR-NCL (so value that at £125). Means you only pay about an extra £65 for the convenience of not having to go through Dublin on the way home AND you get a through ticket.

Another option is to book AA into Dublin, then onward via LHR to London (but now you're up to 4 flights) AA will look after you if you misconnect even on two separate tickets, but Dublin is an outstation and you might struggle to convince someone of the rules!
Old Jan 4, 15, 2:13 am

Originally Posted by Cymro View Post
The risk of course is that it prices up like NCL - MCO instead of NCL-DUB + DUB-MCO.

If you're overnighting in DUB then that takes care of things on the outbound...
I think it would need to be a >24 hour stop in Dublin for that.
Old Jan 4, 15, 8:36 am

Programs: AA Platinum

If I understood correctly you want to do NCL-DUB-MCO-DUB-NCL. That's not two round trips, that's one round trip with two stopovers.

You may find it prices out higher than separate tickets because of restrictions on the fares being combined but it can also go the other way. Sometimes you get the short haul "return" thrown in for free when it's booked as stopovers on a long haul.
Old Jan 4, 15, 10:29 am
Original Poster

OK - so I did a few more trial bookings and thought of a one way to Dublin from Newcastle, have an overnight stay and then fly from Dubin to MCO via JFK with BA.
On the return I can go MCO to PHL (US airways) then PHL to LHR (BA) & LHR to NCL with BA. I had to add a flight from NCL back to DUB to make keep the the lower taxes etc. but I will ask for the bags just to be interlined through to NCL (if that's possible) and forego the NCL to Dub Flight. Does that now present any problems.
Also is a 90 minute connection time in PHL to connect from US airways to BA flights.

Katie

Last edited by katie666; Jan 4, 15 at 12:33 pm

Search this Thread