LHR T5 Dom to T3 Int, no boarding pass

Old Jan 2, 15, 12:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist & Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club
Original Poster

LHR T5 Dom to T3 Int, no boarding pass

I'm trying to do the check in for my AA flight from LHR T3 tomorrow afternoon and I cannot OLCI for the international sector. If I cannot get this sorted before my domestic from MAN, will I be permitted to continue to T3 via the airside flight connections route? Isn't there a boarding pass check or is that my imagination?

Thanks
Old Jan 2, 15, 12:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Falkirk, Scotland,VS Red, BA Gold, HH Diamond,UK Amex Plat
Programs: Master of the Privy Purse des Muccis
Hi,

I'm not sure but if you take a copy of your itinerary with you there are transfer desks just after you clear security in T3 ( before the general departures area)

Regards

TBS
Old Jan 2, 15, 12:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci Extraordinaire, Hilton Diamond, BA Gold (ex BD)
They do check to see if you're meant to be going to flight connections at this point. A printed itinerary will be sufficient. I was let through just showing the flight on my phone.

You don't need a boarding pass and it's legitimate that you may need to visit a transfer desk in T3.
Old Jan 2, 15, 12:46 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: Go Fish
Originally Posted by Calchas View Post
I'm trying to do the check in for my AA flight from LHR T3 tomorrow afternoon and I cannot OLCI for the international sector. If I cannot get this sorted before my domestic from MAN, will I be permitted to continue to T3 via the airside flight connections route? Isn't there a boarding pass check or is that my imagination?

Thanks
I have exactly the same issue. And we are on the same flights! I just called the silver line (answered immediately) and told me everything is ok, tickets are issued, etc... and to just get boarding passes at MAN airport, so we should be fine ;-)
Old Jan 2, 15, 1:29 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
For shared BA/AA bookings: It's always worth checking the AA version of MMB just to check that the details have been properly populated, there have been reports of the data from BA not populating the 2 API country fields correctly. If you also ensure your BAEC number in there it also ensures a rapid credit of your TPs. The AA reference is most rapidly found via the seating selection screen on BA.

For the T5 to T3 transfers (indeed any terminal): for DOMESTIC passengers, yes, you do require some evidence why you should be airside. This is an obscure HMRC Regulation relating to Duty Frees (and I rather suspect the underlying "fiddle" no longer is worth the by law concerned). But all that needs to be is a printed itinerary, checkmytrip.com print out, BA print out, almost anything up to a can of beans. You show this at the double sliding doors by gate 7 as you go round the corner to the Flight Connection buses. For Dublin flights they are enforcing the same procedure, though the Regulation does not apply to them. For international transfers from T5 to elsewhere then you are not required to show an itinerary, but it's probably best practice to have one handy in some written or electronic form.

Last edited by corporate-wage-slave; Jan 2, 15 at 4:28 pm
Old Jan 2, 15, 2:49 pm

Programs: BA Gold, QF NB
On arrival at T3 just after security, AA passengers are directed towards the service/transfer desks in the room before the main terminal floor for extra security checks. When I flew LHR-MIA, my boarding pass for that flight that I got in GLA was replace with an AA issued BP (presumably so that the boarding group is on there - my first BP didn't have Priority AAccess)
Old Jan 2, 15, 3:11 pm

Programs: Still dealing with the loss of my BA Concorde Room Card
This happened a colleague of mine who has a green card and hadn't entered all of his information ahead of time. upon getting to security in t3 we told them what flight we were on and that we couldn't check in at the outstation and they let us right through and seemed like it had happened a million times before so i wouldn't worry.

He was able to provide the necessary documentation to the AA desk after security and they gave him his boarding pass and we were on our way. Biggest loss was not having time for a third drink at the CX lounge.
Old Jan 2, 15, 3:25 pm

What the others said "Please Show Your Itinerary" to the Heathrow staff in T5 so they can let you go down to the T3 bus..............

When you get off the bus in Terminal 3 and proceed upstairs, you immediately enter the "Flight Connections" area where easch airline is represented at a desk and you can obtain your boarding pass there.
Old Jan 2, 15, 3:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

One of the previous posters reminded me a similar thing happened to me in 2013. I was travelling from MAN and thought I'd be able to pick up my boarding pass there but it turned out I couldnt. So even if you try at MAN and they say no don't worry about it.
Old Jan 2, 15, 4:19 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, IHG Spire Elite
I had this situation in August when transferring from a BA GLA-LHR service onto a Delta LHR-JFK service from T3. When asked by the T5 security folks I simply opened up my iPad, logged on to the internet using the Heathrow WiFi (free for 15 mins I think) and showed them my itinerary for my Delta flight from T3. As soon as they saw it they waved me through towards the bus.

It really was no hassle at all but it would have been easier If I'd had a screen shot of the itinerary rather than having to log onto the WiFi.
Old Jan 2, 15, 4:27 pm
Original Poster

Hopefully TripIt from the mobile phone will be sufficient.

I am not worried about the T3 connections process, just getting out of the domestic corridor!

I have a new ESTA for this trip, which is probably the problem.
Old Jan 2, 15, 4:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Hopefully TripIt from the mobile phone will be sufficient.

I am not worried about the T3 connections process, just getting out of the domestic corridor!

I have a new ESTA for this trip, which is probably the problem.
I'm sure you'll be fine. I used my phone in the same circumstances (didn't print out anything as expected to be able to get my BP at MAN).

Although just in case I would say if you can print out something I would do. I doubt you'd need it (I'm sure we'd have heard on here if they were being awkward) but it just gives you a bit of extra assurance if there's an issue. Ultimately I'd be shocked if you have any problems.
Old Jan 2, 15, 9:16 pm
Original Poster

Just as I was falling asleep (mild insomnia) a horrible, awful, miserly thought struck me and, the only way to quell it being to check, with reluctance I opened up ExpertFlyer to take a look ....

AA 107 LHR 17:05 → JFK 20:20
F2 P1 A1 J1 R0 D0 I0 Y0 B0 H0 K0 M0 L0 V0 G0 S0 N0 Q0 O0

Have I been offloaded? Not a great way to begin my first tier point run!

Will report back tomorrow.
Old Jan 2, 15, 11:22 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
AA 107 LHR 17:05 → JFK 20:20
F2 P1 A1 J1 R0 D0 I0 Y0 B0 H0 K0 M0 L0 V0 G0 S0 N0 Q0 O0

Have I been offloaded? Not a great way to begin my first tier point run!

Will report back tomorrow.
Unlikely, AA (and indeed BA) sometimes lock off the buckets close to departure. They also do this if something happens to the service (e.g. going technical) just to prevent adding to a problem. But in the absence of other information then I'm sure you will be fine.
Old Jan 3, 15, 4:56 am

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, Bonvoy Tit, Hilton Dia etc etc
No way, it's just a busy flight. Even in an oversold situation you're unlikely to face any risk as a OW Emerald. FWIW the transfer desks should be nice and smooth for the afternoon JFK flight, it's the last AA flight of the day if memory serves. They do get busy sometimes and as a BA Gold you can go over to the AA lounge complex and complete the security and check in formalities there if you so wish, it's almost certain to be a lot less busy than the transfer desk. No obligation to stick around for the Flagship lounge "experience" to be sure, it's just easier to navigate the processes sometimes in the lounge area and it's an option if the transfer desks are out of control.

Search this Thread