Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Your guide to the Executive Club, attaining status and earning Avios | 2015

Your guide to the Executive Club, attaining status and earning Avios | 2015

Old Sep 20, 2015, 4:55 pm

Programs: BA Gold/Marriott Gold/HH Diamond/IC Plat Amba
Just thought I'd check to see if i could get some clarification so I don't lose out on Tier Points on a trip I'll be booking soon. On BA.com it says that TP and Avios can only be collected on Iberia Express if booked under the IB code. The multi city I will be booking is LHR-MAD-LIS-MAD-LHR. At least one of these flights would be Iberia Express so should I book it on Iberia.com rather than BA.com so the Iberia Express flights aren't codeshares?
Old Sep 21, 2015, 10:15 pm
Ambassador: LATAM

Programs: BAEC Silver
Prospero, I was just admiring the delicious graphics at the start of this thread and I think that the Meridiana one has an error

According to the minimum earnings, you get fewer minimum Avios for flying full fare economy and business than you do for flying in discounted economy. I think the bits in parentheses are back to front.

I am not planning on flying Meridiana, I just though you would like to know for the next update
Old Sep 23, 2015, 1:17 pm

Programs: BA
assistance required how to best retain bronze status (why I am not sure?) currently have 210...am flying transatlantic return that straddles my expiration date Nov 8...first leg will give me 280...how to get the extra 20 before Nov 8? suggestions please thank you
Old Sep 23, 2015, 1:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by testycal
... how to get the extra 20 before Nov 8?
The first question: Where are you?
Old Sep 24, 2015, 5:32 am

As a fairly new member of FT I am finding all this earning points and status very confusing so can someone please help me work out how many TPs and avios I will get from the following flights? I have tried but can't find what class the flights book into when clicking on flight details at the selection stage.

I am a blue and will be on zero points as my membership year is december

Sorry, just a couple more questions:
I can book the same flights on AA.com - which site is most beneficial for me?
Would it be better to book AA flights from Dublin via JFK instead of going through LGW?

I would like to achieve status of some sort if possible and will likely be doing a similar trip in August.
Old Sep 24, 2015, 6:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by emrom
I have tried but can't find what class the flights book into when clicking on flight details at the selection stage.
On that screen, if you click each flight number you should get a popup. The last line of the table is the "selling class" or booking class for that flight. You should then be able to use the ba.com calculator to tell you the number of Avios and TP you'll earn for that flight, bearing in mind the airline whose flight number is being sold. (In your example, you're looking for British Airways throughout because you're flying on BA flight numbers on every sector, even though some are operated by other airlines. But note the exceptions listed on ba.com.)
Old Sep 27, 2015, 2:30 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges and Environmentally Friendly Travel
Original Poster

Originally Posted by JohnnyColombia
Prospero, I was just admiring the delicious graphics at the start of this thread and I think that the Meridiana one has an error

According to the minimum earnings, you get fewer minimum Avios for flying full fare economy and business than you do for flying in discounted economy. I think the bits in parentheses are back to front.

I am not planning on flying Meridiana, I just though you would like to know for the next update
Thanks for pointing this out. Believe it or not, the minimums were taken straight from ba.com and did cause some head scratching in the FT art dept. I checked ba.com again this evening and see the figures have changed once again. I was aware that the EC was still negotiating final earn rates with several of its partners, so I am not entirely surprised by this. The guide has now been updated.
Old Sep 28, 2015, 9:15 am

Programs: ex-ExPlat, AA Lifetime Platinum
unsure of avios earnings

i have read the earning guide on BA website and looked at this thread but still am unsure of earnings.
i am booked on AA flight in "C" class (upgraded business class using systemwide upgrade from cheap economy fare). i see on the earning chart for BA that "C" class earns 100% miles flown. am i understanding this correctly that flying upgraded business class will earn me 100% miles flown rather than the 25% miles flown for the economy fare that i purchased if i use my BA frequent flyer number to credit miles to my account?
Old Sep 28, 2015, 9:20 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by geezersrule
i have read the earning guide on BA website and looked at this thread but still am unsure of earnings.
i am booked on AA flight in "C" class (upgraded business class using systemwide upgrade from cheap economy fare). i see on the earning chart for BA that "C" class earns 100% miles flown. am i understanding this correctly that flying upgraded business class will earn me 100% miles flown rather than the 25% miles flown for the economy fare that i purchased if i use my BA frequent flyer number to credit miles to my account?
You will actually earn whatever avios and TPs are due from the cheap economy fare. Upgrades on AA using the SWU earn according to the originally booked class not the class you upgrade in to. This is exactly the same whether you credit to BA or AA.

www.americanairlines.com/i18n/AAdvantage/eliteStatus/upgrades/upgrades.jsp

AAdvantage mileage will accrue for the class of service on which your fare is based when you are ticketed, not for the class of service flown. Any voluntary refund of a ticket issued against the upgrade shall be in accordance with applicable fare rules for the fare purchased.
Old Sep 28, 2015, 9:23 am

Programs: ex-ExPlat, AA Lifetime Platinum
thanks KARFA for your prompt reply. i appreciate it.
Old Sep 28, 2015, 9:36 am
Ambassador: LATAM

Programs: BAEC Silver
Originally Posted by Prospero
Believe it or not, the minimums were taken straight from ba.com.
I have no trouble at all believing that. New one looks more logical
Old Sep 29, 2015, 2:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: *G
I figure this is the best place to ask: If I no-show for the last segment of my BA flight, do I have to let them know? Or would that actually be detrimental?

If I book a BA-flight at the same time which I'll ACTUALLY take, will that raise flags?

(e.g. I have a connection booked YVR-LHR-CDG, but I actually want to fly YVR-LHR-ZRH, so I'm thinking of ditching the LHR-CDG leg and just book a 4k avios flight LHR-ZRH oneway that I'll actually take, which will basically leave at the same time my booked LHR-CDG flight would leave...)
Old Sep 29, 2015, 4:27 pm

Programs: Accor PLT,Thai Silver, HH Dia, SPG Titanium (LT Gold), Aegean Gold, BA Silver
First question - Will you have checked bags? If not you may be able to get away with it without any problems.

Second question - Are you willing to lose all the Avios for the flights taken? BA have stated that they are clamping down on this.

My suggestion would be to go to check in for the return leg. Explain that instead of going to X you need to go to Y, produce your new ticket and see if they will accept.
Old Sep 29, 2015, 4:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: *G
Originally Posted by ExpatSomchai
First question - Will you have checked bags? If not you may be able to get away with it without any problems.

Second question - Are you willing to lose all the Avios for the flights taken? BA have stated that they are clamping down on this.

My suggestion would be to go to check in for the return leg. Explain that instead of going to X you need to go to Y, produce your new ticket and see if they will accept.
I won't be having checked luggage and I'll be crediting to AA...

I just worry they'll try charge me for change/cancellation if I show up and tell them.
Old Sep 30, 2015, 3:37 pm

Programs: BA Gold, LH Senator
Originally Posted by Prospero
It seems with airberlin now the fare (http://www.airberlin.com/en-DE/site/...n-yourfare.php) and not longer the booking class determines how many TPs and Avios are awarded. At least for shorthauls.

My last airberlin trip (NUE-TXL-MUC) was in booking class O and Q respectively. It was a Fly Classic fare and I was awarded 20 TPs and 500 Avios per sector.

Last edited by Flip42; Sep 30, 2015 at 3:53 pm

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.