Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Your guide to the Executive Club, attaining status and earning Avios | 2015

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Your guide to the Executive Club, attaining status and earning Avios | 2015

Search this Thread

Old Aug 2, 2015, 2:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K;BA Silver;AA G;HH Dia;HY Glob
Originally Posted by Globaliser
Can those be moved to the ES- and UK-based schemes? Or are they confined to the ZA scheme?
Originally Posted by Roger
I believe not. A colleague, now ZA-based but maintaining his UK links, looked into this and found that transferability prospects were nil.

Of course, standalone membership is possible. Pick'n'Pay shopping is far more Avios-lucrative than Tesco shopping.
For transfer prospects, see:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/briti...th-africa.html
Old Aug 2, 2015, 4:18 pm

Programs: AA Gold, Delta, BA
Using AAdvantage miles to upgrade on BA?

Traveling from JFK to NBO via LHR in a couple weeks and are trying to figure out if BA allows either the purchase pf upgrades, or using a combination of AA miles and cash to purchase upgrades (as AA allows on some flights). We don't have Avios points, as we live in the U.S. and rarely fly BA. My husband is Platinum on AA. We both have ample AAdvantage miles.

BA's customer service representative told us to call AA; AA told us it's not possible to use AAdvantage miles to upgrade with BA. Anyone know something different, or have other ideas on how to score an upgrade? Thanks!
Old Aug 2, 2015, 4:28 pm
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
If booked with BA you can only use avios to upgrade a BA flight.

Promitional upgrades may be available for cash and offered on MMB if so. Otherwise airport cash upgrades (AUP) may be offered when you get to the airport on the day.
Old Aug 2, 2015, 4:35 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges and Environmentally Friendly Travel
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Travel Kitteh
Traveling from JFK to NBO via LHR in a couple weeks and are trying to figure out if BA allows either the purchase pf upgrades, or using a combination of AA miles and cash to purchase upgrades (as AA allows on some flights). We don't have Avios points, as we live in the U.S. and rarely fly BA. My husband is Platinum on AA. We both have ample AAdvantage miles.

BA's customer service representative told us to call AA; AA told us it's not possible to use AAdvantage miles to upgrade with BA. Anyone know something different, or have other ideas on how to score an upgrade? Thanks!
Welcome to FlyerTalk, Travel Kitteh

It is possible to upgrade a BA flight using AA Miles but there are number conditions that apply. See http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...solidated.html for more info. The wikipost in that thread provides a useful summary/check list.
Old Aug 2, 2015, 5:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by jerry a. laska
Thanks, jerry a. laska
Old Aug 2, 2015, 9:40 pm

i apoligize in advance for my ineptitude concerning this program and miles in general.

but im confused about the flight i purchased from BA. i signed up for the executive club and was able to input my avios member i.d. but for the friend that is going with me (he has no interest in accumulating miles) i am not able to input that same i.d. and get it to work.

am i able to claim the miles from his ticket also? or is that not possible.

a few months ago i got a chase sapphire preferred card and and learning that works and the ins and outs.

thanks for any help
Old Aug 2, 2015, 9:50 pm

Programs: Jeff is Deaf
Is it typical for BA to price AA first rewards as "first class" instead of "business"? Anyway to get the "business" price since it is essentially business class.
Old Aug 2, 2015, 10:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: *G
Originally Posted by YoungSoloTraveler
Is it typical for BA to price AA first rewards as "first class" instead of "business"? Anyway to get the "business" price since it is essentially business class.
Some routes only have 2 cabins, in which case AA has them designated as first class. There's no way to pay business avios prices for those, unfortunately, since TECHNICALLY it's not business class, even though it really should be.
Old Aug 2, 2015, 10:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K;BA Silver;AA G;HH Dia;HY Glob
It depends upon whether AA calls it first class or business. On three class AA domestic flights you can book avios reward flights in business on AA. AA also classifies their front cabin on two class flights to the Caribbean, Mexico, Central America, and Canada as business so you can book those flights with avios at the business class rate. On two class flights to the 50 US states, AA classifies the front cabin as first and to redeem avios for these flights you have to pay for first. Of course, when flying these flights and crediting to BAEC you also earn avios and tier points at the first class rate.
Old Aug 3, 2015, 12:32 am
nux
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold, QF WP
Originally Posted by peleincubus
but im confused about the flight i purchased from BA. i signed up for the executive club and was able to input my avios member i.d. but for the friend that is going with me (he has no interest in accumulating miles) i am not able to input that same i.d. and get it to work.

am i able to claim the miles from his ticket also? or is that not possible.
No, you can only credit flights in your name to your account. He can open up a BAEC account and credit that flight to his account.

It is marketed and sold as first class, and so earns first class avios/TP's for revenue fares and is priced as first class for awards. QR does the same for some shorthaul routes as well.
Old Aug 3, 2015, 5:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

AA call it first class so that's what it is.

On flip side if you are travelling revenue in F you get loads of tier points and Avios. ^ ^
Old Aug 3, 2015, 8:11 am

Programs: AA, BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by Calchas
On flip side if you are travelling revenue in F you get loads of tier points and Avios. ^ ^
Hence the buoyant market for DUB-LHR-East Coast-West Coast-HNL round trips at bargain prices for 1200 TP. The key being to find a two class EC-WC flight.
Old Aug 3, 2015, 11:11 am

Programs: BAEC GGL/GFL
New member here. Really love the forum and have learned a lot from reading all the posts here.

I have a few trips coming up this month and should hit Silver very soon. For my existing bookings later in the year, will I be able to do seat selection for free on them, even though I purchased them whilst Blue?

Thanks
Old Aug 3, 2015, 11:18 am
nux
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold, QF WP
Originally Posted by jazzyjeff
New member here. Really love the forum and have learned a lot from reading all the posts here.

I have a few trips coming up this month and should hit Silver very soon. For my existing bookings later in the year, will I be able to do seat selection for free on them, even though I purchased them whilst Blue?

Thanks
Yes.
Old Aug 3, 2015, 11:27 am

Programs: BAEC GGL/GFL
Originally Posted by nux
Yes.
Thanks Nux

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.