Search

Your guide to spending Avios | 2015

Search this Thread

Old Jan 15, 2015, 4:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K;BA Silver;AA G;HH Dia;HY Glob
Originally Posted by EXPLAT
Re: 04 Ticket changes and cancellations
We have 4 coach tickets from NRT-HNL using Avios on Japan Airlines. If two days prior to our travel, 1st class seats are available with Avios, what is the process to upgrade?

1) Cancel existing Avios tickets at BA.com and book new Avios tickets?
2) Upgrade online and the additional miles will be deducted?
3) Must call BA and speak to a human? What would be the # to call, cost per ticket for changes?
4) Just wait until the two days before travel and book what ever is available?

Thanks!
1. No. Well, you could do this but what happens if your F availability goes away after you've canceled. You would only want to do this if you book the new seats rewards first.
2. No.
3. Yes. You pay the offline fee and the change fee for each ticket.
http://www.britishairways.com/en-gb/...d-service-fees

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/briti...ntly-open.html
4. Not advisable, as nothing may be available.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/briti...ore-avios.html
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/briti...ked-avios.html

Last edited by jerry a. laska; Jan 15, 2015 at 4:51 pm
Old Jan 15, 2015, 5:15 pm

Programs: AA ExPlat / LT Plat / 3MM, Delta Plat, Bonvoy LT Titanium, HH Diamond
I'm leaning towards option 4.

1) I could leave out of NRT, HND, NGO or KIX.
2) 4 coach seats are available practically every day on multiple flight from every airport to HNL. Both in the current timeframe and for flights in June.
3) Lots of F availability for flights in the near term but sporadic on different days.
4) We don't have to be in HNL on any specific day. If no seats on preferred date of travel, then we could travel a day or two later.

Downfalls.
1) Booking late in the game may mean the four of us wouldn't be seated together.
2) BA/JL have a glitch / part ways and availability goes to zero.
3) No first opens up and we're stuck way in the back of a 2 class 777.

Looks like from the above link that re depositing the Avios back to the account costs the same a rebooking. It doesn't say anything about cost to upgrade though. Only for date change?

Thoughts?
Old Jan 16, 2015, 2:22 am

Programs: BA GGL CCR GfL, SQ Gold, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond, Marriott Plat, Cafe Nero Loyalty Card (7 Stamps)
Originally Posted by EXPLAT
I'm leaning towards option 4.

1) I could leave out of NRT, HND, NGO or KIX.
2) 4 coach seats are available practically every day on multiple flight from every airport to HNL. Both in the current timeframe and for flights in June.
3) Lots of F availability for flights in the near term but sporadic on different days.
4) We don't have to be in HNL on any specific day. If no seats on preferred date of travel, then we could travel a day or two later.

Downfalls
Looks like from the above link that re depositing the Avios back to the account costs the same a rebooking. It doesn't say anything about cost to upgrade though. Only for date change?

Thoughts?
Upgrades on a reward booking are chargeable as a change unless taking a POUG, as far as I'm aware.
Old Jan 16, 2015, 5:46 am

Programs: BA GGL CCR GfL, SQ Gold, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond, Marriott Plat, Cafe Nero Loyalty Card (7 Stamps)
Question:

Can you use your GUF1 for someone in your HHA if you are not travelling with them?
Old Jan 16, 2015, 9:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Wozza2404
Question:

Can you use your GUF1 for someone in your HHA if you are not travelling with them?
Iirc, all GUF can be used by another person provided that you (the holder of the GUF) purchase the ticket and apply the upgrade. If in a household account the normal redemption restrictions apply.
Old Jan 17, 2015, 2:34 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold. GGL/CCR.
I just cashed in some Avios for two seats on US Airways TPA-CLT-BUF in F. The BA booking shows the reservation is for F and the number of Avios is correct for F. However, US Airways have allocated us seats in Y and when I go to change it I only get to see the Y choices.

Any suggestions who best to call to resolve this? Is it BA or US?

Thanks.
Old Jan 17, 2015, 3:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by golfmad
I just cashed in some Avios for two seats on US Airways TPA-CLT-BUF in F. The BA booking shows the reservation is for F and the number of Avios is correct for F. However, US Airways have allocated us seats in Y and when I go to change it I only get to see the Y choices.

Any suggestions who best to call to resolve this? Is it BA or US?

Thanks.
US, if that doesn't work, then BA.

Never heard of that before!
Old Jan 18, 2015, 12:04 am

want to fly aer lingus sfo-dublin

Have checked on ba.com, online, and in the wiki here - but could not find an answer.

I want to fly next year R/T on Aer Lingus from SFO to DUB. The wiki shows that this would be 50,000 each way in business. Could someone confirm that this is still correct/current? (And how can I determine what the fees/taxes/surcharges would be?)

Also: How do I find such a flight on ba.com? That site states that you can see OneWorld partner flights, but only BA flights (not the hoped-for Aer Lingus flights) came up for that route.

And, I recall reading in the past on Flyertalk that the actual partner flight award booking cannot be made online at ba.com; it would need to be made over the phone. Is this still correct?

Thank you for any help you can provide.
Old Jan 18, 2015, 1:40 am

Programs: BA Exec Club Gold, AAdvantage
I'm flying LHR to SGN (Ho Chi Minh) on QR via DOH in J soon. I was wondering if there's a way of upgrading one of the legs between LHR and DOH to F (am on the A380 flights) using Avios but can't figure out where to start - would I need to call BA or QR to check or can I look online?
Old Jan 18, 2015, 4:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by muji
Have checked on ba.com, online, and in the wiki here - but could not find an answer.

I want to fly next year R/T on Aer Lingus from SFO to DUB. The wiki shows that this would be 50,000 each way in business. Could someone confirm that this is still correct/current? (And how can I determine what the fees/taxes/surcharges would be?)

Also: How do I find such a flight on ba.com? That site states that you can see OneWorld partner flights, but only BA flights (not the hoped-for Aer Lingus flights) came up for that route.

And, I recall reading in the past on Flyertalk that the actual partner flight award booking cannot be made online at ba.com; it would need to be made over the phone. Is this still correct?

You have to find and book by phone. EI doesn't appear online. Separately EI is not in OneWorld but that's neither here nor there.

Originally Posted by BA380
I'm flying LHR to SGN (Ho Chi Minh) on QR via DOH in J soon. I was wondering if there's a way of upgrading one of the legs between LHR and DOH to F (am on the A380 flights) using Avios but can't figure out where to start - would I need to call BA or QR to check or can I look online?
Not possible AFAIK.
Old Jan 18, 2015, 5:15 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by BA380
The only non ba upgrades you can do with avios are on aa and ib.
Old Jan 18, 2015, 6:28 am

Programs: BA Exec Club Gold, AAdvantage
Ah. Ok thanks for clarifying.
Old Jan 18, 2015, 1:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by muji

From the Guide:
Note, currently only flights on BA and oneworld carriers may be booked online. You need to call BA to book redemptions on Aer Lingus or Alaska Airlines.
Finding IE availability:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/briti...ilability.html
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/briti...mption-ei.html
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/briti...ilability.html
Old Jan 18, 2015, 3:22 pm

Programs: AAdvantage Hotels, Marriott
I'm presently trying to book a one way Y award on a USAirways non-stop. I can see availability on both usairways.com and aa.com without being logged in.

BA shows the flight as available with "0" seats available and then errors out when attempting to pay.

Any suggestions and is there any chance I could book by phone and get the fee waived?
Old Jan 18, 2015, 4:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by fenx
I'm presently trying to book a one way Y award on a USAirways non-stop. I can see availability on both usairways.com and aa.com without being logged in.

BA shows the flight as available with "0" seats available and then errors out when attempting to pay.

Any suggestions and is there any chance I could book by phone and get the fee waived?
You won't know until you call. The offline fee should be waived as what you are attempting to do is normally available online but ba.com isn't working properly.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.