Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Your guide to spending Avios | 2015

Search this Thread

Old Jan 3, 2015, 10:23 am

Programs: BA GGL, Gold for life
Hi, new to this site but not to BA, currently am GGL and CCR member of BA but never used a joker. I know I have to call BA to use but as long as there is availability in the cabin I should be able to book seats, is that correct? Also is it always worth using avios plus cash for long distance business class or first class on the jokers given the cost of using half the points is much lower than half a business class ticket from what I can see or am I missing something? Will also be using companion and upgrade vouchers on my joker which seems fine to do from this thread. Sorry if has been asked before, happy to be pointed in the right direction!
Old Jan 3, 2015, 3:19 pm

Programs: BA Gd, VS Gd, EK Gd, AB Gd, Hilton Dimd, IHG Plat Amb, Accor Plat, SPG Gd, Carlson Gd, Sirrus Gd
In need of a little advice.

We are shortly on a 2-4-1 open jaw to HKG returning from PVG, both in first. We need to return a few days earlier on the only option available being PEK.

I would like to know (i) If this can be handled as a change (date and airport) or whether it is treated as a cancellation. (ii) if treated as a change, whether the £35 charge is per booking or per person and (iii) if the call centre will also charge the £15 telephone fee.

Apologies if this is covered elsewhere but I was unable to locate
Old Jan 3, 2015, 3:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K;BA Silver;AA G;HH Dia;HY Glob
Originally Posted by oystercatcher
In need of a little advice.

We are shortly on a 2-4-1 open jaw to HKG returning from PVG, both in first. We need to return a few days earlier on the only option available being PEK.

I would like to know (i) If this can be handled as a change (date and airport) or whether it is treated as a cancellation. (ii) if treated as a change, whether the £35 charge is per booking or per person and (iii) if the call centre will also charge the £15 telephone fee.

Apologies if this is covered elsewhere but I was unable to locate
You can change an open-jaw 241 to return from another city in the same zone (PVG and PEK are in the same zone) provided there is availability. You do not cancel. A change fee is usually per person but you can always plead for mercy. Officially you should be charged the offline telephone fee. Some have had this fee waived.
See:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/briti...-question.html
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/briti...1-booking.html
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/briti...vel-zones.html
Old Jan 4, 2015, 2:41 am

I want to spend my avios points on booking a CX flight from Boston to Taiwan.
This route can be found on cathaypacific airline's website but it couldn't be found on BA's website.
I only can find a route from New York to Taiwan, but it takes me double time to go to JFK airport.

Can I call the crs of BA to book a route that I can't find on BA's website?
Old Jan 4, 2015, 2:57 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Your guide to spending Avios | 2015

CX are starting the BOS-HKG route from May 2015. I presume you want that and then a connection to Taipei?

With new CX routes it seems reward availability isn't loaded on ba.com until 1-2 months prior to the route starting. You may have some luck calling though as sometimes the agents can book see reward availability and book it.
Old Jan 4, 2015, 7:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, EI Silver, HH Gold, BW Gold, ABP, Seigneur des Horaires des Mucci
Originally Posted by terresawang
I want to spend my avios points on booking a CX flight from Boston to Taiwan.
This route can be found on cathaypacific airline's website but it couldn't be found on BA's website.
I only can find a route from New York to Taiwan, but it takes me double time to go to JFK airport.

Can I call the crs of BA to book a route that I can't find on BA's website?
Yes you can and they are normally very nice.
Old Jan 4, 2015, 8:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by womble88
Hi, new to this site but not to BA, currently am GGL and CCR member of BA but never used a joker. I know I have to call BA to use but as long as there is availability in the cabin I should be able to book seats, is that correct? Also is it always worth using avios plus cash for long distance business class or first class on the jokers given the cost of using half the points is much lower than half a business class ticket from what I can see or am I missing something? Will also be using companion and upgrade vouchers on my joker which seems fine to do from this thread. Sorry if has been asked before, happy to be pointed in the right direction!
Hello womble88 and welcome to FlyerTalk.

I believe use of a joker requires availability in the "A" booking class (in First). Also if someone else has used a joker already there are capacity restrictions. Hopefully someone can correct me?

I'm not sure about your second question, perhaps I misread it but the usual way is to compute the cost saved per Avios spent and if that's above 1p/Avios you're in good territory.
Old Jan 4, 2015, 9:34 am

Programs: BA GGL CCR GfL, SQ Gold, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond, Marriott Plat, Cafe Nero Loyalty Card (7 Stamps)
I'm not sure I entirely understand your question but a Joker can be used to open up additional award availability on flights where there is none, provided certain cash fare buckets are being sold in that cabin (you would need A availability to use a Joker in First). It is also subject to availability, as there are only ever 5 Joker seats available per cabin, per flight (so if another GGL has already taken 5 seats in F on the flight you wants using one of their Jokers, you won't be able to use your Joker for that flight/cabin. If another has only taken 3 seats using a Joker, there will still be another 2 seats available for you to open with your Joker).

You can use your GUF2, GUF1 and BA 241 vouchers with a Joker.

I don't really know what you mean by cash + Avios. Are you referring to the taxes and fees that are paid on a redemption booking?
Old Jan 4, 2015, 11:09 am

Programs: BA GGL, Gold for life
Originally Posted by Wozza2404
I'm not sure I entirely understand your question but a Joker can be used to open up additional award availability on flights where there is none, provided certain cash fare buckets are being sold in that cabin (you would need A availability to use a Joker in First). It is also subject to availability, as there are only ever 5 Joker seats available per cabin, per flight (so if another GGL has already taken 5 seats in F on the flight you wants using one of their Jokers, you won't be able to use your Joker for that flight/cabin. If another has only taken 3 seats using a Joker, there will still be another 2 seats available for you to open with your Joker).

You can use your GUF2, GUF1 and BA 241 vouchers with a Joker.

I don't really know what you mean by cash + Avios. Are you referring to the taxes and fees that are paid on a redemption booking?
Thanks, first part is very helpful. On second part I obviously wasn't clear, I meant is it not worth using cash+avios rather than just avios when the value of avios seems to be worth more than the cash value I need to pay half of the trip in avios. So am looking at flying to Joburg and its 450 pounds to book 50% avios and 50% cash when clearly a club class ticket would be more than 900 pounds to Joburg if purchased alone. Hope that is a little clearer!
Old Jan 4, 2015, 1:02 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador, Marriott Platinum, Hyatt Globalist, BA Silver
Just noticed that DUB to LHR/LCY reward flight saver taxes have been reduced from the standard £17.50 to £8.70.

This is the first time I have seen a RFS charge less than the standard taxes. I guess this is because taxes ex Ireland are so low now?^
Old Jan 4, 2015, 3:21 pm

Programs: BA GGL CCR GfL, SQ Gold, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond, Marriott Plat, Cafe Nero Loyalty Card (7 Stamps)
Thanks, first part is very helpful. On second part I obviously wasn't clear, I meant is it not worth using cash+avios rather than just avios when the value of avios seems to be worth more than the cash value I need to pay half of the trip in avios. So am looking at flying to Joburg and its 450 pounds to book 50% avios and 50% cash when clearly a club class ticket would be more than 900 pounds to Joburg if purchased alone. Hope that is a little clearer!
Erm... Not really, I'm afraid. I'm quite confused by 50% Avios 50% cash as I'm fairly sure this isn't possible.

Are you sure you're not looking at the taxes and fees? There is no such thing as a 100% Avios booking these days as you are still liable for the taxes and fees for the flight.
Old Jan 4, 2015, 3:27 pm

Programs: Amex, AA, BA, Delta, True Blue, Hyatt, Fairmont, Marriott, HH, IHG
Smile TPA to LGW

Thanks for the excellent guide to spending Avios. My wife and I are retired and each have 50,000 Avios, so we should be able to fly Club World for our first trip to London. We would need to either use Avios plus money or purchase a WT+ for cash and upgrade with Avios. Which option makes more sense for us, please? We do not have silver or gold status, and we try to conserve points, as we don't earn them from business.

Also, I noticed here on FT the Amex transfer bonus. I'm thinking this is too good to pass up, correct? I have 200,000 MR points, accumulated over many years. I can either save them for maybe a future flight to Asia, or take advantage of the bonus offer and transfer maybe 50,000 MR for future trips to Europe. Any thoughts please?

Thanks to FT for inspiring this and 2 previous trips to Europe in business class. Very nice indeed!
Old Jan 5, 2015, 3:00 am

Programs: Star Alliance Gold (A3 Gold), Oneworld Emerald (BA Gold), Hilton Diamond
Does anybody know if American Airlines release reward flights often?

I'm looking for something in May, but as yet I haven't found a suitably timed flight.
Old Jan 5, 2015, 4:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, EI Silver, HH Gold, BW Gold, ABP, Seigneur des Horaires des Mucci
Originally Posted by Enigma368
Just noticed that DUB to LHR/LCY reward flight saver taxes have been reduced from the standard £17.50 to £8.70.

This is the first time I have seen a RFS charge less than the standard taxes. I guess this is because taxes ex Ireland are so low now?^
Might be a bug. Only shows on one-ways for me and is formed only of DUB passenger service charge.
Old Jan 5, 2015, 6:04 am

Programs: BA Gold, CX Gold (OW Sapphire), Hilton Gold, SPG Gold, Accor Platinum
Looking at bookings for Christmas 2015 using my Amex 2-for-1 companion voucher: the December availability is there for the outbound, but we haven't passed 355 day opening window for returning in Jan 2016; is it relatively easy to book the outbound now and then add a return afterwards? Or is this a complex process?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.