Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

BA Amex Companion voucher different return location

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 1, 2015, 1:46 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Amex Platinum, BA Amex, SPG Gold, Hilton Diamond, BA Exec

If using a BA Amex card companion voucher can it be used where the end destination is not the same eg fly LHR to New York then SFO back to LHR or does it need to be to/from same places?
Old Jan 1, 2015, 1:49 pm

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold & GGL & CCR, HH Diam, Bonvoy Titanium, IHG Spire, Tastecard
Originally Posted by Chewbacca
If using a BA Amex card companion voucher can it be used where the end destination is not the same eg fly LHR to New York then SFO back to LHR or does it need to be to/from same places?
Others will confirm for sure but I think that will work - it needs to be on one ticket though.
Old Jan 1, 2015, 2:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K;BA Silver;AA G;HH Dia;HY Glob
You can have an open jaw. The rule is that the open jaw cannot be larger than either of your segments. Your example is allowed. You will need to call to book this. See these threads:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/briti...jaw-241-a.html
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/briti...-airports.html
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/briti...vel-zones.html
Old Jan 1, 2015, 2:05 pm

Programs: BA CCR/GGL, Hilton Diamond
In my experience historically you could travel from different cities, so long as they are in the same reward zone. I've flown to Seattle, back from Vancouver, to SFO and back from PHX and so on.

However, that's now changed and I have booked (in J/F for 4 people!) a trip to Beijing (Zone 6) and back from Tokyo (Zone 7).

So yes, it is possible, subject to availability.
Old Jan 1, 2015, 2:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by LondonAndy
In my experience historically you could travel from different cities, so long as they are in the same reward zone. I've flown to Seattle, back from Vancouver, to SFO and back from PHX and so on.

However, that's now changed and I have booked (in J/F for 4 people!) a trip to Beijing (Zone 6) and back from Tokyo (Zone 7).

So yes, it is possible, subject to availability.
That restriction went away with the changeover to avios.

A remnant of it does remain with regard to changing 241 tickets. If for example, the OP books LHR-JFK, SFO-LHR, and then he decides he wants to change so his return is from a different city, he can only change to a city in the same zone. So in the example the OP could change his SFO-LHR return to SAN-LHR, for example, but could not change to MIA-LHR.
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/briti...vel-zones.html
Old Jan 1, 2015, 2:33 pm

Programs: BMI Diamond Club refugee: BA-Br; HH-D
Originally Posted by jerry a. laska
That restriction went away with the changeover to avios.

A remnant of it does remain with regard to changing 241 tickets. If for example, the OP books LHR-JFK, SFO-LHR, and then he decides he wants to change so his return is from a different city, he can only change to a city in the same zone.
I had this exact issue several months ago - but it was not well explained by the agent so I struggled to follow what the problem was at the time! It is a subtle quirk of the 241 system that is easily misunderstood.
Old Jan 2, 2015, 12:34 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Amex Platinum, BA Amex, SPG Gold, Hilton Diamond, BA Exec
Many thanks for replies that's useful to know. What are the zones and how do I check them? I thought the companion voucher automatically matched the ticket bought with air miles don't recall ever hearing about zones?
Old Jan 2, 2015, 1:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Many thanks for replies that's useful to know. What are the zones and how do I check them? I thought the companion voucher automatically matched the ticket bought with air miles don't recall ever hearing about zones?
Which zones your destination is in determines how many avios are charged for your flight.
http://www.britishairways.com/travel...z/public/en_gb

You only have to worry about zones in this case if you decide you want to change your return to be from a city in a different zone than you have booked. See my example above.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.