Adding to a booking

Old Dec 31, 14, 10:01 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold
Adding to a booking

Hi all,

I've been reading the forum for a while and finally registered this afternoon.

I've got an upcoming GLA-LHR-DFW trip all on BA metal which has been booked for a while. Due to chance in plans I now need to connect on to LAS after arriving into DFW. Is it possible to add a new flight to the booking or will I need to create a new reservation with AA for the extra domestic leg? I've looked on the BA site and can't find an answer anywhere.

I'd prefer to have everything under the one booking to avoid issues with missed connections especially seeing as I've got an hour in T5 to connect onto the DFW flight and I'd rather avoid having to head back up to check in desks at DFW.

If it needs to be a separate booking then that's fine i'll just pad the time accordingly.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Many thanks,
Andy
Old Dec 31, 14, 10:20 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Welcome to Flyertalk andymac7

Welcome to Flyertalk andymac7, welcome to the BA forum and it's good to see you here, congratulations on finally taking the plunge and joining up with us. Please make yourself at home and keep on posting, the more the merrier. Welcome on board.

For the LAS sector, there is no benefit in a single booking. So long as you have booked the next flight with enough time for the MCT at that airport, which I think is 70 minutes, then you would be rebooked if there was a problem. This is a formal AA policy, and an informal US Airways one too.

You can of course ring up and ask for the booking to be change to add in the extra sectors, and it's worth doing that just in case it's cost effective (LAS flights are cheaper than DFW on the whole), but I would not be surprised if it is much more expensive than just buying the extra sector and being sensible with the connection time at DFW. Which, incidentally, is normally a good place to enter the USA in terms of passport / customs delays.
Old Dec 31, 14, 10:37 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
I would strongly urge against mucking around with a reservation which is actually ticketed and especially where the mucking involves another carrier. That is a prescription for a problem on DFW-LAS.

AA or US run 12 non-stops/day on that route and you can pick one which is convenient. As C-W-S notes, separate tickets do not matter. AA will rebook without penalty as a matter of policy and US does it as a matter of customer service.

The sole difference in process is that if you are on one ticket and BA is late, it is BA which will rebook. If you are late to DFW on two tickets, it is the operating carrier of the onward segment, AA or US, which will handle.
Old Dec 31, 14, 11:17 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold
Thank you both for the replies and the warm welcome to Flyertalk!

I'll go down the route of a second booking. I hadn't realised it was AA policy to rebook as long as you're inside the minimum connection time. The DFW arrival is scheduled for 14.45 and there is a LAS flight scheduled for 17.15 and another for 18.50 with three more after that if it came to it.

I've been through DFW 6 or so times in the past year and it's been pretty good every time especially with the new automated gates they now have in. My heart says the 17.15 might be the best bet to get to LAS and leave a little time for some fun on the strip but my head says the 18.50.

Many thanks,
Andy

Search this Thread