Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Correct Tier & Avios Credit for US paid upgrade

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 30, 2014, 7:20 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold-Virgin Gold-Delta MM-Hilton Diamond-Hyatt Globalist-Marriott Gold-IHG Plat Amb-Accor Nobody

Traveled from MCO to PHL in November and took advantage of the paid upgrade to first which was processed by US 3 days in advance of travel.

My class of travel was 'O'.

BA Exec says I only get Tier/Avios credit for economy travel. I've checked all information online (BA) and can't see this restriction posted anywhere.

Can anyone cast any light on this ?

I can understand FOC upgrades not receiving FC credit, but paid upgrades ?
Old Dec 30, 2014, 7:25 am

Programs: BA GGL
Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but I'm afraid paid upgrades at the airport on AA do not qualify for additional tier points or Avios. All you get credited for is the class originally booked.
Old Dec 30, 2014, 7:27 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold-Virgin Gold-Delta MM-Hilton Diamond-Hyatt Globalist-Marriott Gold-IHG Plat Amb-Accor Nobody
It wasn't at the airport

This upgrade was in response to an email solicitation from US/AA and was paid for and processed 3 days in advance of travel, so not an 'at airport upgrade'
Old Dec 30, 2014, 7:42 am
Formerly known as Tim Farrell

Did you bid for an upgrade?

Assuming US use the same platform as AA, the details on American's site say:-
https://upgrade.plusgrade.com/offer/...rlines?lang=en

"AAdvantage miles will be awarded based on the class of service purchased, not the upgraded class of service."

This suggests it would translate to BAEC also based on the class of service originally purchased.
Old Dec 30, 2014, 8:10 am
Original Poster

Nope, not a bid ...

No, didn't bid, just received an email saying upgrades were available for $?.

I clicked, followed through, purchased and was advised 'IF' the seat was available it would be processed 48-72 hours in advance. It was.
Old Dec 30, 2014, 8:13 am

Originally Posted by BritBoyInFL
This upgrade was in response to an email solicitation from US/AA and was paid for and processed 3 days in advance of travel, so not an 'at airport upgrade'
Apologies, I should have read your initial post more carefully! I believe the case is still the same for advance upgrades; you will still only earn points for the class of service initially purchased.
Old Dec 30, 2014, 8:21 am
Original Poster

Thanks Filthy ... yes, that's what BA are telling me, but I can't find any published T&C which state this. And, worse, the ONLY reason I did the upgrade was to get me past the 1500 Tier points level to BA Gold. Now I'm on 1485 ! FFS.
Old Dec 30, 2014, 8:28 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Paid upgrades on AA, whether at the airport or in response to an email offer will only get you the TPs and Avios of the fare you initially booked. This is different from BA's policy of awarding you the higher cabin's TPs/Avios.
Old Dec 30, 2014, 8:40 am

Programs: BA Gold, AA Platinum, SQ Gold, Marriott Titanium
This is rather funny, someone I know just got 60 TPs after her US flight was upgraded by the GA. She never requested for upgrade and was about to board and the GA told her that she has been upgraded to First.

She not only got the free upgrade but also got 60 TPs instead of 10 and cabin bonus avios too.

Last edited by vishalgupta22; Dec 30, 2014 at 8:41 am Reason: Forgot to mention US airways
Old Dec 30, 2014, 8:49 am

Not so funny for BritBoyInFL! I've had that situation too, where I've been upgraded at the gate for commercial reasons and awarded the points. It's a shame AA doesn't award points for pre-paid upgrades. Rather mean, in my opinion.
Old Dec 30, 2014, 8:54 am
Original Poster

Now you guys are trying to make me feel even worse by quoting examples of when people got the 60 TP from a FOC upgrade !!!

And, the price I paid to upgrade was about the same difference between coach & first had I booked it initially !!! so not even discounted !? guess I'll just apply the lube and join the long line of those being abused by their mileage program.
Old Dec 30, 2014, 8:55 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Yes, it has been commented on several times in this forum, for example in the main BA guide to US Airways, that AA and US Airways' version of POUG do NOT give extra TPs. It's not new and has been often mentioned here, I am sorry to confirm this, but it is just the way it is.

Sometimes accidents happen, especially if rebooked at the gate (where they will just use an available fare bucket), but the standard procedure, typically involving a pop up notice on the kiosks at the airport, or indeed an email a few days before travel, will result in not getting extra TPs. due to the way they rebook the fare classes on AA and US. The reason for this is that AA and US don't give additional credit to their own FF schemes so they certainly won't be doing it for someone else's scheme.
Old Dec 30, 2014, 9:11 am

Programs: BAEC Gold (GGL/CCR), HHonors Diamond
I got my company to agree to either two seats in Coach or Business/First, whatever is cheaper. I usually make sure I book when First is less than 2 Coach seats on AA or US, to ensure I get the 60 TP per segment. Books into A or P usual.
Old Dec 30, 2014, 9:38 am

Programs: BA Gold, AA Platinum, SQ Gold, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by BritBoyInFL
Now you guys are trying to make me feel even worse by quoting examples of when people got the 60 TP from a FOC upgrade !!!

And, the price I paid to upgrade was about the same difference between coach & first had I booked it initially !!! so not even discounted !? guess I'll just apply the lube and join the long line of those being abused by their mileage program.
Hey sorry, I didn't mean to make you feel bad. I apologize.
Old Dec 30, 2014, 10:22 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by vishalgupta22
Hey sorry, I didn't mean to make you feel bad. I apologize.
I was only joking .... I'm used to others getting the benefit while I suffer

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.