Maximise Tier Points from Glasgow

Old Dec 28, 2014, 5:59 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Bronze, ICHG Platinum
Maximise Tier Points from Glasgow

Im looking to get back my BA Silver status back ASAP and need 350 Tier points - I live in Glasgow.

Can anyone suggest a points run route that will help - obviously the shortest most cost effective route would be best.

Also, what's the best way of checking One World Tier points, I'm currently using the calculator in he One World site, is thre an easier way?

Thanks
Old Dec 28, 2014, 6:15 am

Programs: BA GGL
Best bet is to check out the tier point runs thread and take advantage of the current sales ex-DUB, CPH and BRU. You could get yourself up to gold for 1,100 or so or silver for 850-900.
Old Dec 28, 2014, 6:29 am

Originally Posted by Weereen
Im looking to get back my BA Silver status back ASAP and need 350 Tier points - I live in Glasgow.

Can anyone suggest a points run route that will help - obviously the shortest most cost effective route would be best.

Also, what's the best way of checking One World Tier points, I'm currently using the calculator in he One World site, is thre an easier way?

Thanks
Worth mentioning that if time is against you, there is a 2 week period after the end of your TP year that you can have TP's transferred. I plan to take advantage of that this year. You need to call BA to get them transferred.
Old Dec 28, 2014, 6:30 am
Original Poster

Thanks FM, I'll check it out - new to the site and just still getting used to it
Old Dec 28, 2014, 6:33 am

Programs: Iron Maiden FC, GE, Rapidly falling down the Tiers to oblivion.
As you will quickly learn dublin is your friend! I use the aer lingus shuttle to dub from gla then go from there in j on an evening flight, overnight lhr then off over the atlantic. Loads of routings per the thread mentioned above, enjoy!
Old Dec 28, 2014, 6:34 am
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Welcome to FT and the BA Board Weereen

As stated above the TP run thread is full of some extremely useful information.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/briti...er-thread.html

If you haven't already done so this is a must read.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/briti...ad-sticky.html

Regarding the TP's look at ba.com and it will give you all the information you need.

Pete
Old Dec 28, 2014, 9:10 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Welcome to Flyertalk Weereen

Welcome to Flyertalk Weereen, welcome to the BA Forum in particular. It's good to see you here and please do continue to participate, you will find that though 350 TPs is a goodly amount, it's not exactly uncommon here for other members of this Board to do something similar.

You have had some great pointers from our colleagues in this forum, but there is perhaps one that I would highlight: if you spend a weekend away, a Saturday night specifically, you may be able to get a reasonable holiday to somewhere with 80 TPs within Europe. So the return, including the GLA section would be either 180 or 200 TPs depending on whether you did 2 tickets or not. So clearly 2 trips of this sort are needed. But you could even "nest" them, so that you could go
LGW-MLA - ticket1
MLA-LGW - ticket2
Saturday night
LGW-MLA - ticket2
MLA-LGW - ticket1

thereby not actually spending the weekend in Malta. Mind you, having recently come back from Malta, it was nice to get a bit warmer at this time of the year and drink coffee outside a bar at night time!

At the moment the cheapest 160 TP fare in Europe are Funchal (Madeira) (only starts in May) and Thessaloniki (Halkidiki / Salonica) and indeed Malta, all at 269 return in Club Europe. The TP thread listed above will give you cheaper long distance options.
Old Dec 28, 2014, 8:33 pm
Original Poster

Thanks for your help.

I'll check out a weekend in Malta, sounds good
Old Dec 29, 2014, 5:05 am

Programs: BD Gold, BAEC Gold, Hilton HHonors
I use this excellent calculator to work out TPs / Avios to be earned on a given flight - think the author is a member of this forum (hat tip to them if they're reading this!!)

owenrudge.net/utils/bacalc/
Old Dec 29, 2014, 4:17 pm
Original Poster

Thanks, this calculator is great.

Come up with a few options - Gla > Jer, which is via Lgw. Then Jer > Ams return then back then back to Glasgow = 280 TP @ 560 plus 2 nights in a hotel and a hectic schedule with no time to relax.

Still need to get my head around the Glasgow > Dublin options/benefits mentioned by JCM 9000 as I still seem to be missing it as the Gla > Dub with Aer Lingus gives no TP's, to get a few you have to go via Lhr and it's expensive for the number of TP's you actually get. I'll keep trawling through to find the best options and flight times

Noticed a few mentions of Instant Upgrades with AA , what does this actually mean, can anybody tell me as I'd prefer to do a long weekend in NY with a short hop somewhere rather than the Jersey, Amsterdam option
Old Dec 29, 2014, 4:35 pm

Programs: BA Silver, IHG Spire, Radisson Gold
From the title I thought this was going to be about snagging 20TPs from UK Domestic flights, and the trick of getting your company to book flights for you which you know only have business UK fares left. Which of course I've never done
Old Dec 29, 2014, 5:15 pm
Original Poster

Of course not, me neither, mhhhhh.

These cutbacks and new travelling rules are a killer as you get used to the perks of the Gold/Silver cards and when you lose them it's awful, especially when you go on holiday.

On my last trip I was in the Qatar lounge at Doha on my outward journey, and it was fantastic as we had 3.5 hours to kill, however on the way back I had dropped to Bronze so no lounge. Luckily we only had 1.5 hours but any longer that without lounge access is bad.

Hopefully I'll find a way of getting back to Silver soon
Old Dec 29, 2014, 9:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OW Emerald, *A Gold, NEXUS, GE, ABTC/APEC, South Korea SES, eIACS, PP, Hyatt Diamond

Thanks
A TA is able to calculate mileage (this is necessary in the GDS as it is used to calculate mileage in an itinerary against MPM fares which BA usually file.)
Old Dec 30, 2014, 12:03 am

Programs: BA Silver Seigneur des Horaires des Mucci.
I thought this may have been another Ebola thread!
Old Dec 30, 2014, 3:25 am

Programs: BD Gold, BAEC Gold, Hilton HHonors
Still need to get my head around the Glasgow > Dublin options/benefits mentioned by JCM 9000 as I still seem to be missing it as the Gla > Dub with Aer Lingus gives no TP's, to get a few you have to go via Lhr and it's expensive for the number of TP's you actually get. I'll keep trawling through to find the best options and flight times

Noticed a few mentions of Instant Upgrades with AA , what does this actually mean, can anybody tell me as I'd prefer to do a long weekend in NY with a short hop somewhere rather than the Jersey, Amsterdam option
The Dublin thing is about:
1) positioning with an Aer Lingus flight GLA-DUB (which won't earn any TPs itself.... but sets up 2) below...)
2) you can then go on a separate itinerary DUB-LHR-transatlantic (or wherever) in Club Europe / Club World (or First if you're feeling extravagant!) earning lots of TPs...

....and the cost of an ex-EU flight (ie one which starts outwith the UK, but within the EU) is hugely cheaper than one which commences in the UK. For example I have upcoming flights to SYD in Club World (using similar routing to the above) that are costing approximately half the cost leaving from OSL-LHR-SYD than it was going to cost from GLA-LHR-SYD (I'm a fellow Glaswegian)

Also have a look at the ITA matrix, which is explained in great detail on the thread below (links to the appropriate post, ignore the title) - I've used it to plan and book many itineraries, and it's great fun / addictive!

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/13303030-post4.html

Not too familiar with AA instant upgrades, but if you're looking at New York you should seriously consider the A318 LCY-JFK service, which is priced in business class (with all the ex-EU benefits as above if you look hard enough ) but gives first class TPs, ie 210 per leg. Ideal routing for you could be DUB-LCY-JFK return.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.