Wiki Posts
Search

DUB-MCO in Business

Search this Thread

Old Dec 28, 2014, 3:45 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Gold, IHG Gold
DUB-MCO in Business

I have the choice of BA via LGW, AA via JFK, or US via PHL for 2 couples in Business.

I know that USA pre-clearance is an obvious attraction and all the flight arrival times are similar.

Would you guys recommend a particular east coast option, or should we opt for the 'devil we know' BA CW?

Thanks for your help.
Old Dec 28, 2014, 3:48 am
In Memoriam

Programs: BA Silver; IHG Gold Elite; Hilton Gold
While I'd prefer BA CW seats, the tier points from the other options might be better.
Old Dec 28, 2014, 3:55 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
The service on US is OK, but there's an element of "you get what you pay for". I see the US business service as WT Plus Plus rather than Club World. On the day service from DUB to PHL - which is quite short - then that may be fine. You may get a superb US crew or a bad BA crew such that the gap narrows, but usually it's the other way around. Chances are that with low expectations the US service will work well, whereas you probably wouldn't go on a BA service with the expectations set so low.

Pre clearance is sometimes a bit overplayed: in order to allow time for that you tend to arrive earlier at the departing airport, whereas I've sailed through PHL and been on the train into town within minutes of arrival. Other people have different experiences. But in broad terms you are shifting contingency to the front of the trip with pre-clearance, whereas with normal CBP there is no contingency required, unless you have a specific timing to meet in the USA. Having said that the CBP agents in DUB and SNN have a good record for customer facing skills, which isn't universally the case elsewhere.
Old Dec 28, 2014, 3:56 am

Programs: TK Gold, FB Silver, A3 Silver, BA Bronze
For DUB-PHL on US, it depends when you're going. That route is serviced by a 757, with sloping seats, for some of the year. In summer, I think it reverts to a 332, with very good flat beds (superior to CW in many respects).
Old Dec 28, 2014, 4:10 am
Moderator: Hyatt Gold Passport & Star Alliance

Programs: UA-1K 3MM/HY- LT Globalist/BA-GGL/GfL
Try and get the AA 77W plane from LHR. There are new and nice in Business.
Old Dec 28, 2014, 4:13 am

Programs: BA Gold, AA Lifetime Gold 1.8mm, IC Spire Ambassador, Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold et al
Originally Posted by mfhstid
For DUB-PHL on US, it depends when you're going. That route is serviced by a 757, with sloping seats, for some of the year. In summer, I think it reverts to a 332, with very good flat beds (superior to CW in many respects).
Goes to the 332 on 29 March 2015 which, as it happens, coincides with the sale dates. At least as good as CW in my book. I would steer clear of the 757 service before that date though.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.