Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

adding baggage to hbo only fare as ba silver

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 27, 2014, 12:57 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Silver, TK Elite, Hilton Diamond

Am I correct in assuming if I add a bag to my HBO ticket that as ba silver I'll get the usual allowance of 2 bags at 32kg?
Old Dec 27, 2014, 1:20 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
I think you pay for it by bag, so if done online it's Ł30 for one leg for one bag, Ł70 for two bags - at which point it may be better value to go for a POUG to CE if offered. I am not certain, but I think it would then be for 32 kgs rather than 23 kgs per bag if you have status.
Old Dec 27, 2014, 1:33 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold! Thanks to FT
Originally Posted by englisha
Am I correct in assuming if I add a bag to my HBO ticket that as ba silver I'll get the usual allowance of 2 bags at 32kg?
On my first ever HBO fare to GLA in Jan as Silver it says 1 bag is Ł20 online and Ł40 at airport and for 2 bags is Ł56 online or Ł80 at airport.
Old Dec 27, 2014, 1:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K;BA Silver;AA G;HH Dia;HY Glob
As noted by CWS, I believe you pay by bag even as a silver. From the HBO FAQs:
Hand baggage only - Frequently Asked Questions
I am a Gold Executive Club card holder and normally get an additional baggage allowance when flying in economy, will this apply if I purchase a Hand baggage only fare?

Gold and Silver customers will continue to have a minimum two item baggage allowance when purchasing Standard fares (which include a baggage allowance). If a Hand baggage only fare is purchased then the zero bag allowance will apply.

Will I earn Avios and Tier points when purchasing Hand baggage only fares?

Yes, normal Avios and tier points will apply.

Can I upgrade to Club Europe if I have bought a Hand baggage only fare?

Yes, by paying the difference in fare and any other charges applicable.

What can I do if I have bought a Hand baggage only fare but now need to check a bag in?

The cheapest option is to purchase a one item baggage allowance for Ł20 via ba.com/managemybooking. The Ł20 applies to the first bag only. Subsequent bags will be charged at the normal excess baggage rate. At the airport the normal airport excess baggage rate will apply for all bags.
http://www.britishairways.com/travel...q/public/en_gb
Old Dec 27, 2014, 1:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
I don't think that your understanding is correct. Having a HBO fare, as a silver member (or gold or nothing for that matter) your luggage entitlement is strictly 0 bag. When you "add luggage" you are simply paying for one piece of excess luggage in addition to that 0 allowance and that single piece is what you become entitled to.
Old Dec 27, 2014, 1:55 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
I think you pay for it by bag, so if done online it's Ł30 for one leg for one bag, Ł70 for two bags - at which point it may be better value to go for a POUG to CE if offered. I am not certain, but I think it would then be for 32 kgs rather than 23 kgs per bag if you have status.
Originally Posted by KeaneJohn
On my first ever HBO fare to GLA in Jan as Silver it says 1 bag is Ł20 online and Ł40 at airport and for 2 bags is Ł56 online or Ł80 at airport.
In which case it is also distance dependent. My Ł30 / Ł70 was for LHR-GIB (also LCY-FLR and LHR-OLB), whereas Ł20/Ł56 presumably is LON to GLA. LGW to GNB is Ł25 / Ł61, ditto LGW to FDH. Whereas LGW-BRI is Ł30 / Ł66!
Old Dec 27, 2014, 3:03 pm

Originally Posted by orbitmic
When you "add luggage" you are simply paying for one piece of excess luggage in addition to that 0 allowance and that single piece is what you become entitled to.
Do you know if we get the extra weight (32kg) or just the 23kg we are paying for. I booked my first HBO expecting to not need/want hold luggage, but the OH decided we need a bag for the wine we are going to buy.

:-)

Cliffy97
Old Dec 27, 2014, 3:56 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
In which case it is also distance dependent. My Ł30 / Ł70 was for LHR-GIB (also LCY-FLR and LHR-OLB), whereas Ł20/Ł56 presumably is LON to GLA. LGW to GNB is Ł25 / Ł61, ditto LGW to FDH. Whereas LGW-BRI is Ł30 / Ł66!
Its quoting 20 pounds for lhr-sof so not quite sure how that's calculated. Would be nice to know for sure if adding 1 bag would be 32 kg or 23. Also I have an infant on the hbo ticket so would this add a bag for him too?
Old Dec 27, 2014, 5:20 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold! Thanks to FT
Its quoting 20 pounds for lhr-sof so not quite sure how that's calculated. Would be nice to know for sure if adding 1 bag would be 32 kg or 23. Also I have an infant on the hbo ticket so would this add a bag for him too?
I just went on MMB to see how much it would be to add 1 bag and to add another. This is the first time Ive ever done HBO and is a typical overnight trip for me. Its the liquid rules that make it hard for me with hair gel and aftershave etc. Will have to be really careful on this one and might buy my toiletries in the departure hall or after arrival in Glasgow.

I hate paying significantly more in comparison to regular sizes for travel packs of toiletries.. it defeats the object of the reduced HBO fare.
Old Jan 2, 2015, 12:32 am
Original Poster

Just checked in for my sof flight with 1 bag added to hbo fare. Check in lady said with some certainty that that although i only paid for 1 bag, as a silver card holder you can check in 2. Also no problem to check 32kg. Might be i was just lucky, but thought id share my experience
Old Jan 2, 2015, 12:44 am
In Memoriam

Programs: BA Silver; IHG Gold Elite; Hilton Gold
I'd work on the basis HBO = playing by Ryanair rules and assume the worst!
Old Jan 2, 2015, 12:48 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by PeacefulWaters
I'd work on the basis HBO = playing by Ryanair rules and assume the worst!
Was not the plan to check in bags but plans change. Really wasnt worth the hassle and didnt save anything doing it this way. Just thought id share the experience incase anyone else is in a similar situation.
Old Jan 2, 2015, 12:52 am
In Memoriam

Programs: BA Silver; IHG Gold Elite; Hilton Gold
Was not the plan to check in bags but plans change. Really wasnt worth the hassle and didnt save anything doing it this way. Just thought id share the experience incase anyone else is in a similar situation.
The fare difference is very little, but a saving is a saving where you can exploit it.

As a family three of us tend to travel on two cases. While this can be beneficial on the "budget" airlines the maths doesn't tend to work on BA.

I'd suggest that this is because their HBO fares aren't cheap enough. BA may argue it's fe cause their "proper" fares are good value.
Old Jan 2, 2015, 1:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Originally Posted by cliffy97
Do you know if we get the extra weight (32kg) or just the 23kg we are paying for. I booked my first HBO expecting to not need/want hold luggage, but the OH decided we need a bag for the wine we are going to buy.

:-)

Cliffy97
Unfortunately 23kg afaik
Old Jan 2, 2015, 3:44 am

I booked a HBO a few weeks ago and in manage my booking it shows up as having to pay for 1 bag, and then the second bag is Ł0 (I'm BA Gold so might be different for Silver). So it seems that once paying for a bag you will be entitled to your extra baggage allowance.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.