The best Miles&Points forum

Old Dec 26, 14, 5:12 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA Silver, AC 50K Elite, Delta Gold
The best Miles&Points forum

Call me biased but I love this forum. It's the right mix of humour, sarcasm and downright whinging that makes it so British. Wouldn't have it any other way. As a new FTer this forum has kept me entertained and informed.

I travel on several airlines, though BA is certainly the most frequented at the moment, and hence I like to keep informed through browsing the various M&P forums. In comparison, for example, the EK forum is downright boring for me even though I fly EK a fair bit too.

At the expense of this being an inappropriate cliquey thread for us on this forum I thought I'd share my thoughts!

c-w-s/Mod, please put me right if I've crossed the line.
Old Dec 27, 14, 4:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
Flattery will get you anywhere
Old Dec 27, 14, 4:57 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by Foofighter69 View Post
c-w-s/Mod, please put me right if I've crossed the line.
Well we haven't had a navel gazing thread for at least a few weeks, I suppose. But I better correct any impression out there that I have any powers in this area - such as they are, it's only that of persuasion (so it tends not to work!). I just do the nice things in life, such as poisoning FTers by force feeding them Ferrero Rocher. The cattle prods reside elsewhere.

Originally Posted by T8191 View Post
Flattery will get you anywhere
Absolutely!
Old Dec 27, 14, 6:49 am
TPJ

Programs: TK*G (E+), AA OWE (EXP), IHG Plat
I used to like this forum because (sometimes) BA (in the pre-IAG days) used to listen to us... Do you you recall the original 'keep the proper CE seats' battle? BA listened to us and decided to give us back the wider CE seats... I have a feeling these days are over... IAG doesn't care about us - the most valuable clients... Sad...
Old Dec 27, 14, 7:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

As is customary in one of these threads, allow me to be the person who points out it used to be much better back in the day when the forum was populated by real frequent flyers not Tesco tourists/Silver card holders/CCR card holders by dint of TP running* .

Happy New Year!

* select the current bęte noir as appropriate
Old Dec 27, 14, 7:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci Extraordinaire, Hilton Diamond, BA Gold (ex BD)
The two British forums* (BA and the now closed bmi forum) both had their own personalities and generally seemed to be much more fun places to browse than the other forums which were closer to strictly factual.

I actually started reading the BA forum before I was a regular BA traveller (I was at FlyerTalk primarily for information on KLM Flying Dutchman and bmi Diamond Club in the early days), but I enjoyed the uniqueness of this forum. It also meant when my BA flying started to increase (around 2010) I already knew the key points of the Executive Club.

Of course this forum isn't perfect, and we have lost some excellent contributors over the years but no online forum can keep people 100% happy and I think we have the best mix of the lot.

*I'm not familiar with the VS forum, although I think the main VS discussion forum is not on FT, but I'm not a regular on either, but they probably also have a uniquely British personality about them. That is unless they've adopted the personality of Delta!
Old Dec 27, 14, 7:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BAEC/IB
Originally Posted by TPJ View Post
I used to like this forum because (sometimes) BA (in the pre-IAG days) used to listen to us... Do you you recall the original 'keep the proper CE seats' battle? BA listened to us and decided to give us back the wider CE seats...
Although I don't recall that battle I suspect feedback from here had little or nothing to do with BA changing tack on that one.
BA management are probably more interested in using the forum for identifying loopholes that need closing rather than as a resource for influencing key business decisions.
Old Dec 27, 14, 8:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
Originally Posted by Swanhunter View Post
As is customary in one of these threads, allow me to be the person who points out it used to be much better back in the day when the forum was populated by real frequent flyers not Tesco tourists/Silver card holders/CCR card holders by dint of TP running* .

Happy New Year!

You omitted "Old People"
Old Dec 27, 14, 8:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Happy New Year!

I suspect you are imagining you were amongst a forum full of frequent flyers - there were quite a few Walter Mitty's and BAH-DOH-BAH tier point runners about back then as well. It was certainly a more clique place with the same group of people throwing their weight about with little to deter them.
Overall the forum has improved immensely as it continues to attract a much wider audience which has to be a good thing. The balance is about right although some more senior leisure and non status travellers wouldn't go amiss.
Old Dec 27, 14, 8:32 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges and Carbon Conscious Travel

Originally Posted by Foofighter69 View Post
In comparison, for example, the EK forum is downright boring for me even...
Only the very brave would state such a thing out loud
Old Dec 27, 14, 9:07 am
Suspended

Programs: BA Gold, UA Silver, CC Gold, SPG Gold
Was the moderation all this way?
Old Dec 27, 14, 9:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, BA, Mucci: Sir Roger des Directions Routičres, PCR
When I saw the opening post this morning, it reminded me of those planted questions by loyal shires MPs at Prime Minister's Questions wanting Dave to 'agree with the honorable member' so I delayed responding until others had broken the ice.

If the OP means best on FT, I have no idea as I can't plough through all fora every day, just my limited selection of favourites. FWIW I find the BA forum immensely helpful in disseminating information that I'd find difficult to find elsewhere, and I thank those responsible. YKWYA. But I'm bored by the regular moans that 'I have a free flight from my Chase card but I can't book it because it isn't free' and other oft repeated mantras.

OTOH if the OP means the best Miles and Points Forum, step forward www.headforpoints.com organised by FTer Raffles, from which I have derived much info on more than just BA.

There's a devastating critique on BA's future today that is well worth reading: http://www.headforpoints.com/2014/12...ngham-service/
Old Dec 27, 14, 9:21 am

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold & GGL & CCR, HH Diam, Accor Sil, Black Cineworld Unlimited, Tastecard

Happy New Year!

My "favourite" comment in one of those "lamenting" threads recently was that tier point running causes negativity. Or maybe actually it was that tier point running causes undeserved positivity by "not real frequent flyers" which had to be countered with realistic negativity. Or maybe it was that tier point running spoils etc. either way, it was right up there with Nigel F's comment on traffic and immigration and his mates' comments on draughts (or was it flooding) being caused by love.

Still, we bicker, mock, have pompous arguments but at the end of the day, make up in one way or another and I agree, it's a great forum full of invaluable information and friendly folk willing to help. Try asking simple questions in other forums and even if one passes the "which sub forum am I meant to ask this question in" test (which ain't an easy one), it's not exactly a flame free friendly place.

Over and above all the information, there are some very nice and friendly people behind the various handles and it's been great deepening friendships over the past year and meeting old and new faces at various DOs or on flights - planned or not - or at impromptu Miami South Beach get togethers.

Here's to a great 2015 for the BAEC Forum
Old Dec 27, 14, 9:27 am

Programs: BA, SQ, VS, Lifetime Diamond Club Appreciator, Coco Di Mama Premier
As I usually say to folks I have met at the few FT Do's I've been to, this forum has saved me a fortune (easily a substantial five figure sum), but also cost me a lot of money too (some of the cheap fares etc. are too good to pass up)!

I was surprised to see a post in the past few days stating that the BA board is the busiest on FT. Given the wealth of information already contained here and the general willingness of people to contribute their knowledge to new questions and challenges, I shouldn't have been surprised.

Here's to the continued success of FT and the BA board in particular.
Old Dec 27, 14, 10:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Roger View Post
There's a devastating critique on BA's future today that is well worth reading: http://www.headforpoints.com/2014/12...ngham-service/
Oh that's just Raffles having yet another dig at BA....a slow news day I suspect.
Quite frankly most of it is stating the bleedin' obvious and has been discussed numerous times before. I wish he would concentrate on what he's really excellent at instead of subjecting his followers to a Queens Christmas type speech.

Search this Thread