Wiki Posts
Search

which lounge in Hong Kong?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 18, 2015, 7:30 am

Yes, they are.
Old Jan 18, 2015, 12:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold, SQ Gold, KQ Platinum, IHG Diamond Ambassador, Hilton Gold, Marriott Silver, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by tuff
Moved onto the Qantas lounge which overlooks our gate. The signage to get here was a bit strange though. Has the lounge recently moved from below the gate to above?
There were originally two QF lounges - International Business below gate level, and International First above gate level. There is now just The Qantas Hong Kong Lounge (joint F/J) which is on the site of the former International First lounge above gate level.

Originally Posted by BHDATC
Am I right in saying all these F sections (Wing Restaurant) etc... are available to J passengers with a Gold Card / OWE?
There is only one oneworld first class lounge currently open at HKG - CX The Wing First Class. The Pier First Class is currently closed for renovation. Standard oneworld rules apply to all HKG lounges: oneworld.com/lounges
Old Jan 18, 2015, 2:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Genius1
There were originally two QF lounges - International Business below gate level, and International First above gate level. There is now just The Qantas Hong Kong Lounge (joint F/J) which is on the site of the former International First lounge above gate level.
Well, if you really want the history

* Originally the above gate space was the Hong Kong Lounge, a BA/QF joint lounge complex similar to those in BKK and LAX at that time. This is 15 years ago (and somewhere I still have Bangkok Lounge headed notepaper). There was a J lounge and F lounge further in controlled by another dragon and with a lovely frosted door keeping the Silver oiks out.
* This space was then knocked into one big F lounge when the ghastly below ground QF J lounge was opened. At this point the lounges had transferred to QF control
* Subsequently the new lounge opened, which has expanded into space that was once a CAAC lounge (IIRC)

But the CX lounges have always been and are far nicer. The Bridge is an excellent J lounge that shows just how deeply mediocre the LHR Galleries are.

Apart form one thing. The old QF F lounge used to serve Pol Roger which was a step up from the Lanson or Moët (ugghh) offered in the Wing/Pier.
Old Jan 18, 2015, 2:26 pm

Programs: BA - Gold for Life, CCR & GGL; IC Spire Elite Ambassador; Diamond Hilton Honors; Hyatt Discoverist
Am I right in saying all these F sections (Wing Restaurant) etc... are available to J passengers with a Gold Card / OWE?
Yes, and well worth the visit.

I do enjoy the noodle bar in the Business section of The Wing, however, and try to fit in a visit.
Old Jan 18, 2015, 2:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: HH Gold, BA Silver, Accor Silver
Can someone remind me what's on the CX Wing (J side) buffet in the afternoons?

I remember the noodle station but we have a 3pm flight on MH that seems to go from the "5" gates so the lounge selection has already been refined!
Old Jan 18, 2015, 2:57 pm

Programs: BA Gold (OWE), Tesco Blue, TK Elite (*G), Oyster Diamond Jubilee edition
I spent few hours at HKG at the beginning of January and these are mine observations:
  • The Wing - cabanas and the Haven restaurant with excellent buffet in First class part, noodle bar in the Business class part
  • Qantas - spacious, open, nice buffet, right next to BA check-in/security
  • The Cabin - quite dark, great fresh juice and smoothie bar
  • The Bridge - one section on each side (working area on the left and dining area on the right), restaurant with all sorts of meals (from Chinese and pasta, to pizza, 3-4 soups, sandwiches, salads and various desserts)
  • The Pier - probably the worst lounge but they have deep fried meals and ice cream in First fenced area , real First class part is supposed to open around June/July, noodle bar

All lounges have good to great food. They seem to have different Champagnes in each lounge (all basic Moet level, including The Wing's First) and Australian bubbles in Qantas. They do fresh smoothies in the The Cabin and The Bridge (possibly elsewhere too).

If I was to choose one, The Wing for First class and The Bridge for Business class would be my choices (as many already mentioned).

When I was there BA26 departed from gate 15 (same today) and BA28 from gate 24 (17 today).
Old Jan 18, 2015, 4:59 pm

Programs: BA Gold, TK Elite, AZ CFP
Provided that you are on a oneworld operated flight you are right indeed! Enjoy the Wing!
Old Jan 19, 2015, 6:38 am

Programs: AA EXP IC AMBASSADOR/DIAMOND Tk/ELITE (*G), JumeirahONE Gold
The Qantas HKG lounge is very good.

Food Options are somewhat limited but the food is very good and tasty. The salty caramel cheesecake is great - better than anything CX offers.

I am not crazy about any of the CX lounges. I think they are overrated- even after the refurbishment of the Wing a few years ago and the smaller refurbishment of the haven last year.

The options in Haven are Ok but the food is not that great - taste-wise. The rest of the space does not work for me.

The food in the rest of the lounges is pretty bad except that you like chinese noodles.

The pizza in the bridge must be the worst pizza I have ever tried and that was in 2 different ocassions.

Internet in the Qantas lounge is terrible - I just use the free airport. Internet speed in the CX lounges is great.
Old Jan 19, 2015, 6:50 am

Programs: BA Gold, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by palermo
I am not crazy about any of the CX lounges. I think they are overrated- even after the refurbishment of the Wing a few years ago and the smaller refurbishment of the haven last year.

The options in Haven are Ok but the food is not that great - taste-wise. The rest of the space does not work for me.

The food in the rest of the lounges is pretty bad except that you like chinese noodles.
I have to say, I couldn't disagree more. The food in the CX lounges is excellent. Before I was Gold I'd actively look forward to the noodle bar in the Wing J lounge, great pork buns.

The Wing F Haven (restaurant) is really good. I've had both breakfast (great cooked and buffet selection) and dinner. The portion sizes served up for dinner weren't that good but the food was very tasty. The buffet was excellent, especially the dessert options (which are extensive).

I don't really like the styling of the Wing F lounge, it's too dark (black toilets??) but I think that it's an excellent lounge.

The QF lounge is also very good, much more open and obviously bigger however, I wouldn't pay a special visit if I had access to the Wing F lounge.

The Bridge I thought was very good too (I didn't try the food though). I really liked the enclosed sections that gives the lounge more of a cosy feel.
Old Jan 19, 2015, 7:00 am

Programs: Meh
Originally Posted by matthandy
I have to say, I couldn't disagree more. The food in the CX lounges is excellent. Before I was Gold I'd actively look forward to the noodle bar in the Wing J lounge, great pork buns.

The Wing F Haven (restaurant) is really good. I've had both breakfast (great cooked and buffet selection) and dinner. The portion sizes served up for dinner weren't that good but the food was very tasty. The buffet was excellent, especially the dessert options (which are extensive).

I don't really like the styling of the Wing F lounge, it's too dark (black toilets??) but I think that it's an excellent lounge.

The QF lounge is also very good, much more open and obviously bigger however, I wouldn't pay a special visit if I had access to the Wing F lounge.

The Bridge I thought was very good too (I didn't try the food though). I really liked the enclosed sections that gives the lounge more of a cosy feel.
Agree with all of this, especially the black toilets
The cabanas are certainly exceptional also, especially if you have had a busy day in the city, and need to freshen up and relax.
Old Jan 19, 2015, 7:05 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
I was in the Wing earlier today, and the WCs were in a very poor state - at least the gents. I know its largely down to the users, but even so. But for the benefit of anyone who hasn't been there, it's black, dimly lit and gives a fairly seedy appearance.

The whole place leaves me cold. They spent a fortune on the refurb but it is an object lesson in how not too do it. The new BA (and indeed CX) lounge in AMS shows how good design and a tidy modern look leaves a positive impression.
Old Jan 19, 2015, 7:23 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, Alitalia Freccia Alata, Turkish Elite... oh yeah, and of course: Starbucks Gold :P
As silver in J i only had access to the J parts of the CX lounges... that said, i did have a look at all of them last summer and i would choose the qantas lounge every time over their J wing/bridge/pier counterparts. If you are early enough before the qantas flights leave, they provide even a la cart dinning in the "restaurant" section.
Old Jan 19, 2015, 7:51 am

Programs: Meh
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
I was in the Wing earlier today, and the WCs were in a very poor state - at least the gents. I know its largely down to the users, but even so. But for the benefit of anyone who hasn't been there, it's black, dimly lit and gives a fairly seedy appearance.

The whole place leaves me cold. They spent a fortune on the refurb but it is an object lesson in how not too do it. The new BA (and indeed CX) lounge in AMS shows how good design and a tidy modern look leaves a positive impression.
I agree the new refurb leaves me feeling the opposite to warm and fuzzy, from the black walls/bathroom/floor to the red chairs to the bland coloured furniture. I brought this up with my HK native pal and he was shocked. He thought the new refurb was amazing, classy, and well balanced. So I suppose tastes vary from region to region and if HKer's like it then CX has succeeded.

Final point is the lounge is still one of the best in the OW system.
Old Jan 19, 2015, 7:54 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by BahrainLad
Indeed. 6 hours - train to Central, tram to Causeway Bay, dim sum in Din Tai Fong, tram back to the White Stag for a pint, tram back to Central to the Captain's Bar at the MO for a G&T and then train back to the airport in time for a glass of fizz before the flight.

Are BA always from the 60s now the A380 is a permanent fixture? They used to sometimes go from the 15/16 area opposite the QF lounge, there is also an A380 gate here as SQ use it.
Excellent advice - that is a brilliant way to spend a few hours
Old Jan 19, 2015, 7:55 am

Programs: BA Gold, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by stevie
He thought the new refurb was amazing, classy, and well balanced. So I suppose tastes vary from region to region and if HKer's like it then CX has succeeded.
There's actually another section to the left of the Haven which is very much in the style of the J section, if the black is too much.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.