Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Would a "helpful" post button add value to our forum?

Would a "helpful" post button add value to our forum?

Old Dec 25, 14, 3:17 pm
  #91  
FlyerTalk Evangelist & Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: London
Posts: 16,750
Originally Posted by GUWonder View Post
And in true social networking style, I'll "like/helpful" you/your posts and do so more if you do the same for me. That is until the game bores us and/or we have found our public validation via a wolf-pack popularity contest.

[See the bright sarcasm dripping from my post. ]
Is this really how it works in your social network?

I am missing out big time. I usually just "Like" things that either include my friends smiling or make me giggle.
Calchas is offline  
Old Dec 25, 14, 3:26 pm
  #92  
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Near Edinburgh
Programs: BA Silver
Posts: 9,034
Originally Posted by allturnleft View Post
Was shocked yesterday when posted a friendly thread and just shot down by some FT 'playground bullies'. its a great Forum but there is some very hierarchical behaviour on
If you mean this thread...

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/briti...just-nuts.html

...then I don't see any bullying at play. Indeed, you posted an off topic thread based on news that was weeks old and others pointed that out. To your credit, you realised that and apologised for doing so (I'm assuming your apology was sincere).

I don't get the clique argument. I've never met anyone from FT face-to-face but know that many have made friendships off-board. However, I don't feel that grossly impacts the quality of posting here.
Paralytic is offline  
Old Dec 25, 14, 3:40 pm
  #93  
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Posts: 88,874
Originally Posted by Calchas View Post
Is this really how it works in your social network?

I am missing out big time. I usually just "Like" things that either include my friends smiling or make me giggle.
I wouldn't know -- except as a passive observer and analyst, when accessing the behaviors of others independent of mine.

[My online social network presence and personal use of online network emgagement was largely limited to FT and (in some ways) ASW during its former incarnation.]
GUWonder is online now  
Old Dec 25, 14, 3:56 pm
  #94  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Berlin, Germany; Toronto, Canada; and SW Florida, USA
Programs: UA 1K, BA Gold, Hyatt Globalist, and assorted others
Posts: 23,322
Originally Posted by GUWonder View Post
[My online social network presence and personal use of online network emgagement was largely limited to FT and (in some ways) ASW during its former incarnation.]
Is it just me or did ASW get incredibly wanky after their revised business model to charge people for membership. I never rejoined, and I'm getting sick of their email efforts to encourage me to do so.
LondonElite is offline  
Old Dec 26, 14, 6:09 pm
  #95  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Durham, NC (RDU/GSO/CLT)
Programs: AA EXP/1MM, DL PM, UA Plat, HH DIA, Hyatt Discoverist, IHG Spire/AMB, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Posts: 29,843
As a TalkBoard Member, I appreciate the input in this forum. Thank you for expressing your thoughts.
CMK10 is offline  
Old Dec 27, 14, 2:17 am
  #96  
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: UK
Programs: BA, U2+, SK, IHG, Hilton, others gathering dust...
Posts: 2,192
The main value I'd get from such a button is bring able to mark things as helpful for my own easy reference later. The Wikis are great, but there are some specific threads/posts that may not go into them but may be useful for me in the future, and I guess not all of FT is as well served as the BA board in this regard. Mainly for this reason I voted in favour.

I'm ambivalent about the subject generally apart from that, not against it but have no particular desire to see counters of how many posts I have found helpful, or had found helpful by others (though hope some of my posts are of help to others).
Oaxaca is offline  
Old Dec 27, 14, 6:59 pm
  #97  
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Programs: QFF
Posts: 5,298
No. Such a button would not add anything useful at all. It would only make things worse.
Himeno is offline  
Old Dec 27, 14, 7:35 pm
  #98  
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Posts: 88,874
This "feature" is or is not going to be launched with an ability to track one's own "like" history? And by that, I don't mean just a counter (hidden or not) in a member profile.

Voting in favor of something being turned on in the hopes that it eventually is modified to do something it's not enabled to do and may or may not ever be enabled to do? I like voting for pies in the sky and geese that lay golden eggs.

Originally Posted by LondonElite View Post
Is it just me or did ASW get incredibly wanky after their revised business model to charge people for membership. I never rejoined, and I'm getting sick of their email efforts to encourage me to do so.
Try to direct their emails to end up in the SPAM boxes. That's about where it deserved to end up.
GUWonder is online now  
Old Dec 27, 14, 7:51 pm
  #99  
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: USA
Programs: BA-Gold (dropping to Silver soon); AA & Flying Blue; Top Gear (the Clarkson years); Doctor Who :)
Posts: 422
Came back to see what general direction it is heading...still not really sure without there being some sort of 'polling' button. Looks like more 'prefer not' than 'ayes' but an agreement it is likely to happen regardless...

Anyway, a thought struck...would the "like/helpful" tool be able to be retrospective/retroactive...can I apply it to some old posts that really did help at the time (even if I did respond with a "thanks" at the time)?

If so I am definitely hitting the "walkways between 5a-b-c" post, along with almost anything HIDDY states as for some inexplicable reason I imagine that those words are like listening to Dumbledore or Great Uncle Bulgaria...wisdom even if not fully understood by the reader.

There are several other posters that I value their opinion prior to even reading it because of what they have stated before...means I am falling into my own belief that a pre-emptive "like" is forming and so devaluing the real use of such a tool.
Gash is offline  
Old Dec 27, 14, 8:05 pm
  #100  
FlyerTalk Evangelist & Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: London
Posts: 16,750
Originally Posted by Gash View Post
along with almost anything HIDDY states as for some inexplicable reason I imagine that those words are like listening to Dumbledore or Great Uncle Bulgaria...wisdom even if not fully understood by the reader.
Splutter!


Calchas is offline  
Old Dec 27, 14, 8:28 pm
  #101  
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: USA
Programs: BA-Gold (dropping to Silver soon); AA & Flying Blue; Top Gear (the Clarkson years); Doctor Who :)
Posts: 422
Originally Posted by Calchas View Post
Splutter!


I did state "inexplicable"
Gash is offline  
Old Dec 28, 14, 4:15 am
  #102  
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Scotland
Programs: BA silver
Posts: 1,811
I think it may be an ok feature as long as the running totals are not added to your profile. I have seen what happens on the mse forum, where it definitely encourages cliques. In some threads someone just has to say good morning to get the thanks button pressed umpteen times. Pathetic. The ones with the most posts or thanks are not necessarily the most knowledgeable members on the site. They may just be the ones who post the most drivel. So I am a bit on the fence with this one, however if I do ask something here I do feel the need to keep posting to say thanks as the thread progresses. The helpful button would be useful then.With no running totals on your profile, the helpful post button has a better chance of being used for the purpose it's intended for.
fiona is offline  
Old Dec 28, 14, 6:36 am
  #103  
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: JER
Programs: BA/OW Sapphire, TK/*A Gold
Posts: 88
I wouldn't want such a button.

Reasons for me are detrimental development of cliques as mentioned before and seen in many other forums but much more that public opinion would be much more guided by the amounts of "likes" and subsequent answerds directed in this direction (can happen on purpose but more often subconciously). I like to travel through posts and find many snippets I might not if the "right" i.e. popular opinion is guided (again, not necessarily on purpose but we just work that way).
overseasplease is offline  
Old Dec 28, 14, 5:18 pm
  #104  
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Posts: 88,874
Originally Posted by fiona View Post
I think it may be an ok feature as long as the running totals are not added to your profile. I have seen what happens on the mse forum, where it definitely encourages cliques. In some threads someone just has to say good morning to get the thanks button pressed umpteen times. Pathetic. The ones with the most posts or thanks are not necessarily the most knowledgeable members on the site. They may just be the ones who post the most drivel. So I am a bit on the fence with this one, however if I do ask something here I do feel the need to keep posting to say thanks as the thread progresses. The helpful button would be useful then.With no running totals on your profile, the helpful post button has a better chance of being used for the purpose it's intended for.
In the trial that just was had on this, the general member profiles had running total counters in them for: (1) number of "likes"/"helpful" received by the member from enabled members; and (2) the number of "likes"/"helpful" given by the member. My counters: 0 and 0 -- same as most of the members here.
GUWonder is online now  
Old Jan 9, 15, 4:22 pm
  #105  
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges and Carbon Conscious Travel
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: London, UK
Posts: 19,419
Just a heads-up - the TalkBoard Topics poll is now entering its final week. Please give the motion careful consideration and use your vote to make your voice heard.
Prospero is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread