Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Would a "helpful" post button add value to our forum?

Would a "helpful" post button add value to our forum?

Old Dec 24, 14, 11:54 am
  #46  
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Programs: BA Gold, AA Lifetime Gold 1.8mm, IC Spire Ambassador, Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold et al
Posts: 4,335
Originally Posted by BotB View Post
(I'm personally not for any tally of how helpful a poster is though...just that post in that thread.)
I agree entirely.

TripAdvisor has the helpful button and every so often the member receives an email "congratulating" them on a certain number of hits. I don't think that's proposed here and God forbid we ever go down that particular road.
Blueboys999 is offline  
Old Dec 24, 14, 12:01 pm
  #47  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Berlin, Germany; Toronto, Canada; and SW Florida, USA
Programs: UA 1K, BA Gold, Hyatt Globalist, and assorted others
Posts: 23,318
Originally Posted by GUWonder View Post
I voted against this proposal, as I neither need nor benefit from a popularity contest to make an assessment of content which I read on FT. Verbal responses to content are way more useful to me than a popularity scoring contest in response to a given FTer or FTer's post. Master threads and wikis work much better IME.

I find that popularity contests don't add positively to my experience on FT and that the popularity contests get in the way of examining or responding to content appropriately. I expect that this will be no different.
I think I pretty much share the same view.
LondonElite is offline  
Old Dec 24, 14, 12:06 pm
  #48  
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: MAN
Programs: MUCCI, BA Blue, IHG Gold
Posts: 1,402
Would a "helpful" post button add value to our forum?

Look up change tip for giving tips in Bitcoin. Could be built into forum somehow
olybeast is offline  
Old Dec 24, 14, 12:10 pm
  #49  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Mostly UK
Programs: Mucci Extraordinaire, Hilton Diamond, BA Gold (ex BD)
Posts: 10,662
Originally Posted by olybeast View Post
Look up change tip for giving tips in Bitcoin. Could be built into forum somehow
Tips? This isn't the AA forum!
layz is offline  
Old Dec 24, 14, 12:17 pm
  #50  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: JER
Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
Posts: 28,870
Originally Posted by Blueboys999 View Post
I agree entirely.
TripAdvisor has the helpful button and every so often the member receives an email "congratulating" them on a certain number of hits. I don't think that's proposed here and God forbid we ever go down that particular road.
Hey, I'm only one Trippy Hotel Review away from some badge that's about as relevant as the "My Flightpath" tick-boxes

I do have a Bronze Lifesaving Badge, though. Should that be in My Profile here?

I have no idea whether the concept has merit or not, but I guess a 'press to test' isn't going to tip the Earth out of orbit. If it proves to be crepe, then FT/IB can delete the function.
T8191 is online now  
Old Dec 24, 14, 12:20 pm
  #51  
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: London
Programs: BA Silver, IHG Spire, Radisson Gold
Posts: 990
Interesting idea.

I think a 'like' button works better than a 'helpful' button personally. It's a quick way of saying thanks for a post, be it helpful, kind, funny etc, whilst 'helpful' restricts to one category.
hcuk94 is offline  
Old Dec 24, 14, 12:23 pm
  #52  
FlyerTalk Evangelist & Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: London
Posts: 16,750
Originally Posted by T8191 View Post
I do have a Bronze Lifesaving Badge, though. Should that be in My Profile here?
That is very commendable. But would you extend the same charity to a Blue?

Originally Posted by T8191 View Post
I have no idea whether the concept has merit or not, but I guess a 'press to test' isn't going to tip the Earth out of orbit. If it proves to be crepe, then FT/IB can delete the function.
I agree. Why not give it a whirl? If fire and brimstone be the consequence, it can be unplugged.
Calchas is offline  
Old Dec 24, 14, 12:54 pm
  #53  
uk1
Suspended
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: UK
Posts: 11,969
Originally Posted by T8191 View Post
I've never quite grasped this 'clique' idea.
Thanks.

On the subject of you not grasping "this clique idea" ... what is this "MUCCIx4" thing you're desperately keen on boasting about to everyone on every single FT post .........

I only got one! I thought it best not to boast about mine in case someone thought I was cliquey .....
uk1 is offline  
Old Dec 24, 14, 1:15 pm
  #54  
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: UK
Programs: BAEC Bronze
Posts: 5,160
Clique? Sshhhh - no one mention MFT...!
Flexible preferences is offline  
Old Dec 24, 14, 1:18 pm
  #55  
uk1
Suspended
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: UK
Posts: 11,969
May I be the very first to predict that our leader will shortly appear and respectfully suggest we keep to the topic .......

Counting down .... 10, 9, 8, .........

uk1 is offline  
Old Dec 24, 14, 1:28 pm
  #56  
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: UK
Programs: BAEC Bronze
Posts: 5,160


Maybe not though - as the posts evidence this is a real concern about the like/helpful function and is bang on topic I think.

That said, there are bound to be different groups of people on any forum - for instance leisure travellers/business travellers, Blues, Golds, Muccis etc I guess the question is can those different groups co-exist with mutual respect and not misuse this new function?
Flexible preferences is offline  
Old Dec 24, 14, 1:44 pm
  #57  
uk1
Suspended
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: UK
Posts: 11,969
Originally Posted by Flexible preferences View Post


Maybe not though - as the posts evidence this is a real concern about the like/helpful function and is bang on topic I think.

That said, there are bound to be different groups of people on any forum - for instance leisure travellers/business travellers, Blues, Golds, Muccis etc I guess the question is can those different groups co-exist with mutual respect and not misuse this new function?
Only joking!

It isn't about purposeful and intentional cliques it is about the natural tendency of these things dare I say almost subconsciously. Some even supposedly highly intelligent people never let a bone go. I for example will find it difficult not to always hit like every time CIHY posts or if Bing Bong Boy returned, (I miss him) and I'd develop an uncontrollable twitch trying to stop myself. On the other hand that other person who constantly tells me that I don't know what I'm talking about every time I post .... well, we aren't quite even yet are we.

Do you get my drift? I am jesting to make my point but isn't life a touch like that here ....
uk1 is offline  
Old Dec 24, 14, 1:49 pm
  #58  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: JER
Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
Posts: 28,870
Originally Posted by uk1 View Post
On the subject of you not grasping "this clique idea" ... what is this "MUCCIx4" thing you're desperately keen on boasting about to everyone on every single FT post .........
I only got one! I thought it best not to boast about mine in case someone thought I was cliquey .....
Oi, don't blame me for being blessed by LA PUCCI.
When you are old enough to get your B&Q Diamond Card 10% off all purchases every Wednesday for the over-60s.
Wow, the store heaves then, even though 90% of them have little idea why they're there or what they're doing ... I can't speak for the other 10%, of course, but it's warm and dry and a morning out
T8191 is online now  
Old Dec 24, 14, 1:53 pm
  #59  
uk1
Suspended
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: UK
Posts: 11,969
Originally Posted by T8191 View Post
When you are old enough to get your B&Q Diamond Card
10% off all purchases every Wednesday for the over-60s.
Wow, the store heaves then, even though 90% of them have little idea why they're there or what they're doing ... I can't speak for the other 10%, of course, but it's warm and dry and a morning out
If you had mentioned your Over 60 card rather than your bleedin' muccies I would have obviously shown you a bit more respect.

If I get a list ready for next Wednesday, would you mind doing me a bit of a favour whilst you're in B&Q? You do have a Volvo estate I presume?

uk1 is offline  
Old Dec 24, 14, 1:56 pm
  #60  
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Near Edinburgh
Programs: BA Silver
Posts: 9,034
Originally Posted by uk1 View Post
I for example will find it difficult not to always hit like every time CIHY posts or if Bing Bong Boy returned, (I miss him) and I'd develop an uncontrollable twitch trying to stop myself. On the other hand that other person who constantly tells me that I don't know what I'm talking about every time I post .... well, we aren't quite even yet are we.
I don't know about others, but i make a point of not looking at who has written a post before reading it. I like to respond to a post, not the poster.

After digesting/responding, I do sometimes make a game out of it and am getting quite good at guessing who has written a post, based both on style and content. e.g. If it mentions a UUA to IAD

I voted for the "Helpful" button as I think it'd add an interesting dynamic to the board.
Paralytic is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread