Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Would a "helpful" post button add value to our forum?

Would a "helpful" post button add value to our forum?

Old Dec 24, 14, 10:58 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by LondonElite View Post
I guess the idea is to easily filter threads that are genuinely helpful (I've not followed the discussion in TalkBoard). But I suspect that after a while there will be a lot of 'helpful' threads, which them reduces the effectiveness of what was trying to be achieved in the first place. And one man's Kate Upton is another's Roseanne Barr.

I think we (others more than I) have done an excellent job () with wikis and stickies and the guides at the top of the page and the dashboard which are truly helpful and far more useful than anything I've seen on any other board.
The idea is not to filter threads that are genuinely helpful, as the feature was not designed for that. The idea is to rate members/member's posts by how many other members like a member/member's posts and how much others like the rated member/member's posts. There is a reason this feature was designed to add two counters to member's profiles: number of "likes" received and number of "likes" given.

If I scratch your back, will you scratch mine?
Old Dec 24, 14, 11:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci Extraordinaire, Hilton Diamond, BA Gold (ex BD)
Originally Posted by layz View Post
+1

Not often I agree with a BA Apologist!

Oh dear!
In case that wasn't clear I was joking there!

I don't think sticking the apologist tag on anyone is fair. Some here defend BA on certain things and vocally criticise them on others. I'd say there's some on here (a minority) that only ever say bad things about BA, also other times there's those that defend BA over decisions I don't agree with.

Everyone has different views and the regulars contribute a lot. I enjoy the contributions of the occasional leisure travellers as much as the most frequent travellers, they all have a different perspective. Then we have the BA staff who provide so much insight.

Merry Christmas!
Old Dec 24, 14, 11:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
Originally Posted by LondonElite View Post
I think we (others more than I) have done an excellent job () with wikis and stickies and the guides at the top of the page and the dashboard which are truly helpful and far more useful than anything I've seen on any other board.
A good point [may I say ?] because it seems that the BA Board is a 'bit different' to others on FT. We don't [usually] need Mod intervention, because we 'know the score' and try, ourselves, to keep things on track. The occasional RBP or PM seems to keep things on the rails, I suspect.

I have asked for a bit of help in recent weeks, as I found myself outside my comfort zone ... and the help and advice I have received has been succinct, accurate, and reinforced by others. How can I thank people like that enough, without filling the thread with more of my geriatric meandering? A PM? Another post?

The help, and the Łks saved over the last month or 2 are almost [but not really] incalculable. Let's just say around Ł6k for the sake of argument, facilitating trips we would never normally have considered.

So can I post a Christmas to everyone who has advised, assisted, guided and otherwise tolerated me in 2014? I hope so!
Old Dec 24, 14, 11:09 am
Hilton Contributor BadgeAccor Contributor Badge

Programs: Accor Gold, HH D, BA Silver
I would welcome the 'helpful' button personally. Pro's and con's to everything but would find it another way to help evaluate things in some forums or topics I am less familiar with.

Isn't this a moot point though? I swear I saw the counters in the mini stats the other day...so isn't this coming anyway? (I can't seem to see them any longer though...)
Old Dec 24, 14, 11:10 am

Programs: BA Gold
In my view, I don't see how such a new button would contribute to the board discussion. I do not necessarily agree with the view about cliques (it happens already). I just cannot see the intrinsic value in such a feature, particularly when one considers all the hard work and effort that has gone into the Wiki's, which are more than useful/helpful.

H
Old Dec 24, 14, 11:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist & Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Originally Posted by BotB View Post
I would welcome the 'helpful' button personally. Pro's and con's to everything but would find it another way to help evaluate things in some forums or topics I am less familiar with.

Isn't this a moot point though? I swear I saw the counters in the mini stats the other day...so isn't this coming anyway? (I can't seem to see them any longer though...)
The technical aspects of a like/dislike button have been implemented recently by Internet Brands. But it has not been turned on yet. It is not receiving strong support at Talk Board.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/talkb...ke-button.html (Continuation of an old topic.)
Old Dec 24, 14, 11:12 am

Programs: AA EXP/LTP 4MM, BA GGL/CCR/GfL, HH Dia, SPG Plat/LTP
Originally Posted by uk1 View Post
I'm against.

One of the inevitable outcomes of moves like this is that it becomes a convenient tool of cliquedom.

On some of the non-FT forums I see where this operates, it very clearly starts off well intentioned but inevitably becomes less a tool of post approval but more a tool of poster approval and disapproval, irrespective of the actual specific post content. People on those other forums always seem to approve every single post of their mutual support clique.

<snip>
Originally Posted by Sixth Freedom View Post
I'm against too for the above reasoning and also the idea that people may be more likely to click a 'like' than to provide informative additional comments in favour of a particular discussion. If this becomes the case FT will become much less interesting to read.
I voted no for the good reasons you expressed, even if it was before this thread started.
Old Dec 24, 14, 11:17 am

The counters were in the profiles -- it couldn't be a clearer sign that this was designed to be an FT member popularity rating/reputation feature. What's your popularity score? Were you, according to your score, the popular boy/girl in school or not? I bet it was undefined at that point.

Originally Posted by HIDDY View Post
Ah I see the 'Like' stuff has disappeared from the Profile page. Yes a Helpful button is far more appropriate.
The "Like" being renamed "Helpful" is still a "Like" by another name to do the same thing. It's like BA renaming the fuel surcharge into carrier surcharge.

Also, keep in mind that not everyone's idea of "helpful" is the same.

Last edited by GUWonder; Dec 24, 14 at 11:25 am
Old Dec 24, 14, 11:20 am

Originally Posted by GUWonder View Post
The counters were in the profiles -- it couldn't be a clearer sign that this was designed to be an Ft member popularity rating/reputation feature. What's your popularity score? Were you, according to your score, the popular boy/girl in school or not? I bet it was undefined at that point.
Do you really think that was the deliberated intention?

Do you think your popularity on FlyerTalk is indicative of that in your emergent years? [Mr FlyerTalk legend ]
Old Dec 24, 14, 11:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
Originally Posted by Hoch View Post
In my view, I don't see how such a new button would contribute to the board discussion. I do not necessarily agree with the view about cliques (it happens already). I just cannot see the intrinsic value in such a feature, particularly when one considers all the hard work and effort that has gone into the Wiki's, which are more than useful/helpful.

H
The Board Wikis are wonderful. [Have another Like}
If only people would read them!!
And even then, I've found [when needing help] that they are so extensive and filled with comments that my mind ... melts!
Old Dec 24, 14, 11:24 am

Programs: BA Silver
Originally Posted by Stez View Post
-1 to the idea of these things. I don't want to know what people think of my posts, and it would probably encourage too much of one style of posts and reduce diversity that is found here.
+1

Old Dec 24, 14, 11:24 am

Originally Posted by T8191 View Post
The Board Wikis are wonderful. [Have another Like}
If only people would read them!!
And even then, I've found [when needing help] that they are so extensive and filled with comments that my mind ... melts!
We do like to talk a lot here

It is probably a good idea to simplify a few of them, with the all important information at the top. In particular the TP runs wiki that must run to several pages now.
Old Dec 24, 14, 11:37 am
Accor Contributor BadgeHilton Contributor Badge

Programs: Accor Gold, HH D, BA Silver
Originally Posted by GUWonder View Post
The counters were in the profiles -- it couldn't be a clearer sign that this was designed to be an FT member popularity rating/reputation feature. What's your popularity score? Were you, according to your score, the popular boy/girl in school or not? I bet it was undefined at that point.

The "Like" being renamed "Helpful" is still a "Like" by another name to do the same thing. It's like BA renaming the fuel surcharge into carrier surcharge.

Also, keep in mind that not everyone's idea of "helpful" is the same.
Agree (bolded bit) and for that reason the helpful button would be useful as another way of filtering information on a topic I don't know about. We each use different means of evaluating any information we see here.

As to whether I was popular in school...no. end of. My parents had to tie pork chops to me just to get the dogs to play with me. I survived....

Plenty of times I have wanted to say +1 or thanks but after a few people say it then I can't be arsed as it just clogs up the thread. A helpful button would allow that. (I'm personally not for any tally of how helpful a poster is though...just that post in that thread.)
Old Dec 24, 14, 11:46 am

Programs: Tufty Club (Gold), BAGA Gymnastics level 4, 440yds swimming certificate
I don't think it would add much value. I think it would just result in the usual in crowd supporting each other. I think the moderators here do a good job in adding helpful / useful stuff quickly to the master threads or stickies where useful information can be found quickly without wading through pages of stuff much of which has little value add.
Old Dec 24, 14, 11:47 am

Agree (bolded bit) and for that reason the helpful button would be useful as another way of filtering information on a topic I don't know about. We each use different means of evaluating any information we see here.

As to whether I was popular in school...no. end of. My parents had to tie pork chops to me just to get the dogs to play with me. I survived....
I voted against this proposal, as I neither need nor benefit from a popularity contest to make an assessment of content which I read on FT. Verbal responses to content are way more useful to me than a popularity scoring contest in response to a given FTer or FTer's post. Master threads and wikis work much better IME.

I find that popularity contests don't add positively to my experience on FT and that the popularity contests get in the way of examining or responding to content appropriately. I expect that this will be no different.

Search this Thread