Have I missed the window?

Old Dec 24, 14, 8:14 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold
Have I missed the window?

Saturday's BA2167 (LGW/TPA) club cabin seat map was only showing rows 10-15, meaning a 4 class plane on a 3 class route.

Seat maps did not show rows 1-4 until today, but all 4 rows are showing as unavailable. Have I missed the window to select them?

Or are they allocated at check-in (as I previously thought)?

If allocated at the time of check-in, as I'm connecting from GLA and will check in for the flight to LGW some 5/6hrs before the TPA flight opens, will I get to choose (assuming availability) at that time?

Thanks in advance!
Old Dec 24, 14, 8:19 am

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, BA Amex Prem, Fairmont Premier
Either kept closed or allocated at check in. If they open it you should have a good chance.
Old Dec 24, 14, 8:24 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Expertflyer would normally show these seats as "blocked" if they had been closed off, unfortunately it is showing them as "occupied". There is just one seat unoccupied, and UK POS for the fare buckets is J2 C2 D1 R1. That suggests either the flight is indeed full and/or they have already handed out the front seats. But no harm in asking at LGW.
Old Dec 24, 14, 8:33 am

Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave View Post
Expertflyer would normally show these seats as "blocked" if they had been closed off, unfortunately it is showing them as "occupied". There is just one seat unoccupied, and UK POS for the fare buckets is J2 C2 D1 R1. That suggests either the flight is indeed full and/or they have already handed out the front seats. But no harm in asking at LGW.
Ah.
Are you by any chance travelling with other family members, GeeMac?
Old Dec 24, 14, 8:41 am
Original Poster

Thanks c-w-s
I've been monitoring this for a while now. I booked and selected seats back in Feb/March time. They've never offered F for sale, as expected

Using KVS (US POS) it's been showing low availability in all cabins for some time, then a couple of weeks ago it opened up to show up to 14 seats available across all cabins. I'm sad checking every day, I know!

I'm concluding that they always knew they would have extra capacity, and 3 days out have confirmed it needs to be used by showing the F seats in the seat map.

I'd be surprised if in the space of a few hours this morning all 14 were taken by pax, but you never know.

Fingers crossed for the best outcome.
Old Dec 24, 14, 8:42 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by crazy8534 View Post
Ah.
Are you by any chance travelling with other family members, GeeMac?
Yes, Mrs Geemac (silver) and me (gold), thanks for asking.
Old Dec 24, 14, 8:45 am
Original Poster

for c-w-s
KVS has always shown the F cabin seats in the seat map, but always shown them as unavailable. Don't know if you can deduce whether they are allocated or blocked from the graphic.
Old Dec 24, 14, 8:56 am

Originally Posted by GeeMac View Post
Yes, Mrs Geemac (silver) and me (gold), thanks for asking.
Interesting, even more reason for you to be put in the F seats.

Well have a nice trip anyway, it would be CW service in the F cabin and you can use GF at LGW at least!
Old Dec 24, 14, 9:10 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
for c-w-s
KVS has always shown the F cabin seats in the seat map, but always shown them as unavailable. Don't know if you can deduce whether they are allocated or blocked from the graphic.
ExpertFlyer shows blocked or occupied in different ways (with an X or a solid colour block respectively). At the moment it shows CW as one cabin starting at row 1, all occupied bar one empty, unoccupied seat at the back. Now what happens at T-72 or thereabouts (probably longer at the moment) is that a specific aircraft is allocated to the service and the seat map adjusted to reflect this. So you've gone four class and it looks like all CW ticket holders have been allocated a seat, with almost no room to manoeuvre to another seat. Bearing in mind that there would be an unusually high number of bronze status passengers on that particular flight.

It is possible that instead of passengers being allocated to all seats that in fact they have done something in a different way such that actually these seats are really blocked rather than allocated, but I wouldn't hold your hopes up for that. You at least have a few hours head start at OLCI on Friday to see what, if anything, can be done.
Old Dec 24, 14, 9:25 am
Original Poster

Thanks folks.
I'm skeptical that in the space of a few hours these 14 seats were opened up and taken.
I'll remain optimistic that there will be some seat switching or the early check-in proves beneficial.
Old Dec 24, 14, 9:57 am

I'll remain optimistic that there will be some seat switching or the early check-in proves beneficial.
I am minded to agree with you. Everything goes a bit funny in this situation for a while.

Let us know from the GLA lounge when you have your new BP!
Old Dec 24, 14, 10:00 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Worth a call to BA? At least it puts OP at the head of the pack if there is availability and can be assigned other than at the airport or answers his question.
Old Dec 24, 14, 10:05 am
Original Poster

As Expertflyer and KVS are showing J2, I did a dummy booking to see what seats would be allocated to Mrs Geemac and I.

Only the one seat is showing in the seatmap when I check MMB on my existing booking and this same seat was available to select in the new (dummy) booking, but only for Mrs Geemac to select. I couldn't select a seat at all, even though it would allow the booking.

I'm sticking with the "available at check-in" belief, when all the op-ups from W are allocated CW cabin and the "chosen few (14)" in CW are moved into the F seats.

I will report back to this thread on the results at check-in @ T-24, arrival at GLA lounge (where I will again enquire, if necessary) and finally at LGW (if necessary).

Fingers crossed!
Old Dec 24, 14, 10:07 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Often1 View Post
Worth a call to BA? At least it puts OP at the head of the pack if there is availability and can be assigned other than at the airport or answers his question.
Mrs Geemac was right on the ball, she was told that they were "blocked"
Old Dec 26, 14, 8:59 am
Original Poster

Quick update - nothing available in the F cabin for selection at OLCI
Next checkpoint will be the lounge in GLA tomorrow morning

Search this Thread