Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

BA the only airline not serving a Japanese meal in C/F?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 18, 2014, 3:53 pm
Original Poster

Is British Airways the only airline that won't serve a Japanese meal on flights to and from Tokyo in first and business class? Even American and United do. That is poor show!

They used to in the 1990s, then they stopped at some point.

I wonder why?
Old Dec 18, 2014, 4:22 pm

Admittedly it has been a few years since I have flown BA to Tokyo but I do remember a few Japanese elements in F (miso soup etc). Not a full Japanese meal like AA do (though remember you need to book this in advance on AA).

But frankly if you are looking for a good Japanese meal, I would fly JAL. Their catering in F is amazing...
Old Dec 18, 2014, 4:25 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: Battleaxe Alliance
Originally Posted by 1/4MM@20

But frankly if you are looking for a good Japanese meal, I would fly JAL. Their catering in F is amazing...
True, although I personally do not find it particularly amazing, although very nice.

Originally Posted by Flyingfox
Is British Airways the only airline that won't serve a Japanese meal on flights to and from Tokyo in first and business class?
They normally include some Japanese style bits and pieces in the meal, although quite westernised. It's not a Kaiseki style meal etc, but I do not recall seeing a menu on NRT/HND route on BA in CW or F without at least one Japanese style option despite having flown the route rather many times in the last few years.

Last edited by LTN Phobia; Dec 18, 2014 at 5:05 pm
Old Dec 18, 2014, 4:25 pm
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

I've only been on the Japan route once (end of 2012) and that was to NRT in F.

There was certainly a few choices then and I am sure someone will be along shortly to clarify things.

Old Dec 18, 2014, 5:02 pm
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy LT Plat, Hilton Gold, GHA Tit, BA Gold, Turkish Elite
I've had Japanese meals both to and on the way back from NRT in F. I'll have a dig around, but a few years ago the amuse-bouche was presented in a really attractive Japanese black wooden box, if I remember correctly.
Old Dec 19, 2014, 4:26 am

Programs: BA GGL/GfL, A3 Gold, HH Diamond, IHG Gold

I had a pretty good eel meal in F on the way to HND only a few months back. I'm surprised to hear the Japanese option has gone.
Old Dec 19, 2014, 4:31 am

I have flown NRT and HND fairly frequently in F & CW, and rarely observe that many Japanese passengers. So perhaps that's why the menu elements are more "Asian fusion" than truly Japanese.

Or it might be the lack of slippers / wc slippers which is the deal-breaker for Japanese premium PAX.

Also, a lot of Japanese don't speak English (or, rather, don't think that they can speak English) and the BA flights tend to have just one or two Japanese speaking crew members serving the premium cabins.

Still, it's all miles better and more culturally appropriate than the J service VS used to operate on that route..
Old Dec 19, 2014, 5:37 am
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy LT Plat, Hilton Gold, GHA Tit, BA Gold, Turkish Elite
Originally Posted by visit14
Still, it's all miles better and more culturally appropriate than the J service VS used to operate on that route..
Do tell. I'm thinking california rolls, sweet and sour chicken balls and J-pop?
Old Dec 19, 2014, 5:53 am

Programs: Latinpass Million Miler. BA Gold.
I have flown NRT and HND fairly frequently in F & CW, and rarely observe that many Japanese passengers. So perhaps that's why the menu elements are more "Asian fusion" than truly Japanese.

Or it might be the lack of slippers / wc slippers which is the deal-breaker for Japanese premium PAX.

Also, a lot of Japanese don't speak English (or, rather, don't think that they can speak English) and the BA flights tend to have just one or two Japanese speaking crew members serving the premium cabins.

Have they removed the slippers? Last time I flew back in 2012 they were available on request.
Old Dec 19, 2014, 6:51 am

Originally Posted by EuropeanPete
Do tell. I'm thinking california rolls, sweet and sour chicken balls and J-pop?
Haha! I don't actually mind J (and even W for day flights) on VS, particularly if heading to the Caribbean or somewhere on leisure, but the touchy-feely over familiar service is deeply un Japanese, ditto the sushi which was about as good as the pre-made stuff you can get in M&S (this on the inbound ex-NRT leg... suspect it may have originated in London). There could be nothing less Japanese than a menu which greets you with the words "hello gorgeous" on the cover instead of "good afternoon most highly esteemed customer"

Originally Posted by BlackBerryAddict
Have they removed the slippers? Last time I flew back in 2012 they were available on request.?
News to me that they are/were available on request! Assume only on Far Eastern routes? Never thought to ask, so can't comment.
Old Dec 19, 2014, 7:05 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

I suspect you're right.

Only Japanese and Flyertalkers travelling on F redemptions choose to eat authentic Japanese food. Long haul flights into GLA don't serve typical Glaswegian food either.
Old Dec 19, 2014, 7:14 am

Programs: BA LifetimeGold GGL/CCR
Mainly Brits take BA First to Japan, so no need for Japanese food! JAL is soo much better in First though.
Old Dec 19, 2014, 8:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold
Providing a Japanese meal is extremely expensive. At QR we used to spend somewhere between USD 20 and USD 60 on catering per passenger for a longhaul premium flight, depending on the flight length and demand for F&B.

But on the flights to Japan the catering cost was something like USD 150 per passenger, say an extra USD 100 over other catering options.

Let's do a quick calculation:

i) a 777 offers 14 + 48 = 62 F & CW seats
ii) 65% seat factor = 40 passengers per flight
iii) assume 25% of passengers consume the Japanese meal, plus 2 spares for contingency = 12 Japanese meals per flight
iv) 12 x USD 100 = USD 1,200 per flight
v) 2x flights per day to Japan (1x NRT + 1x HND) = 730 flights per year

Estimated annual cost of providing Japanese meals = 730 x USD 1,200 = USD 876,000

Is it worth it? Evidently BA think not.
Old Dec 19, 2014, 8:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold
Aside: I went to Sake No Hana on St James' St for lunch on Monday - maximum yum!
Old Dec 19, 2014, 10:25 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by HIDDY
I suspect you're right.

Only Japanese and Flyertalkers travelling on F redemptions choose to eat authentic Japanese food. Long haul flights into GLA don't serve typical Glaswegian food either.
Something about safety rules and deep fat fryers I believe.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.