Gate 365 & Tesco Wine Fiasco

Old Dec 18, 2014, 3:45 am
Original Poster

Gate 365 & Tesco Wine Fiasco

As usual I had to make a T+40 days claim for a recent Tesco Wine purchase (for some unknown reason they never post automatically for me). Upon request I emailed the orginal invoice and to my surprise my claim was rejected because I had used a £15 Tesco discount voucher. This is their reply:

We are sorry but we are unable to credit the Avios you requested below to your account. Please be aware that your purchase is ineligible for rewards as stated in Gate 365 Terms and Conditions, as stated on our website :"We do not award Avios for VAT, delivery charges or voucher codes that are not promoted on Gate 365"

I responded by telling them that I nearly always use a discount voucher, that I wasn't claiming Avios for the voucher code, delivery or VAT, and that they could work out the total minus VAT for Avios purposes pretty easily (I even showed them how in case they don't know how to use a calculator ) and this was their second response:

We can see that a promotional e-coupon was used and applied to your purchase with Tesco Wine on 26/10/2014.
Please be aware that any use, unintentional or otherwise, of any promotional codes which is not promoted on Gate 365, can negate your rebate, as per the following Terms & Conditions on our website:
"We do not award Avios for VAT, delivery charges or voucher codes that are not promoted on Gate 365."

Is this a change of policy, an existing rule which has never been applied, or just plain stupidity?
Old Dec 18, 2014, 5:01 am

Programs: BA Gold Guest List, Concorde Room Card, Hilton Diamond
Plain stupidity.

Based on their interpretation, any product with VAT or a delivery charge (i.e. pretty much anything), wouldn't earn any Avios! :-/

Last edited by ba_cityflyer; Dec 18, 2014 at 5:10 am
Old Dec 18, 2014, 5:25 am

I don't think they've explained it well – of course you should push them on this.

Basically it is becoming quite standard practice that merchants do not award any commission to any referrer for shoppers that use voucher codes. It makes sense, it stops double-dipping.

If you've used vouchers in the past, that's why they haven't been appearing because Tesco Wines hasn't authorised them at its end.

Look at how Quidco handles it, it's quite plain: "Cashback only eligible on Quidco advertised vouchers"
Old Dec 18, 2014, 5:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
Originally Posted by ba_cityflyer
Plain stupidity.

Based on their interpretation, any product with VAT or a delivery charge (i.e. pretty much anything), wouldn't earn any Avios! :-/
That's not the position.

It's pretty standard that points / miles / cash back (e.g. the VS scheme and Quidco) are only awarded on the net price of the goods - excluding VAT, delivery, other fees and taxes etc
Old Dec 18, 2014, 5:32 am

Programs: BAEC Silver/OW Sapphire
I use Gate365 regularly as it is an easy way to accumulate Avios, especially when there are double points offers.

However, more often than not, I have to chase outstanding Avios at T+40 as the system is very poor at recognising the transaction, let alone crediting the Avios. John Lewis purchases never seem to appear until I have to chase the Avios.

There are numerous traps one should be aware of falling in to, but the 2 main ones are:
Don't use discount vouchers
Don't do click and collect - always have your order delivered
Old Dec 18, 2014, 5:36 am

Programs: BA Gold Guest List, Concorde Room Card, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by UKtravelbear
That's not the position.

It's pretty standard that points / miles / cash back (e.g. the VS scheme and Quidco) are only awarded on the net price of the goods - excluding VAT, delivery, other fees and taxes etc
Quite. Hence there is no reason not to pay out on the value net the voucher.

I was trying to illustrate the absurdity of their position "you used a voucher hence the whole lot is ineligible" is analogous to "you paid VAT hence the whole lot is ineligible".
Old Dec 18, 2014, 5:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
Originally Posted by ba_cityflyer
Quite. Hence there is no reason not to pay out on the value net the voucher.

I was trying to illustrate the absurdity of their position "you used a voucher hence the whole lot is ineligible" is analogous to "you paid VAT hence the whole lot is ineligible".
They are NOT analogous though.

You have a choice wether to use a voucher or not.

You have no choice about paying the VAT
Old Dec 18, 2014, 6:04 am

Programs: BA Pyrite
I've always been wary when using a cash- or points-back site and a voucher code. Sometimes it's worked and I've got both the price reduction and the extra benefit but other times not. I've always been of the opinion that at least I've got something out of it.
Leaving aside whether the wording of the notice from the retailer or site is appropriately accurate I can appreciate that having already incurred a reduction in margin via a discount code the retailer would not also wish to incur further reduction through awarding cashback/Avios

As for making sure the purchase from the retailer tracks reliably it's a good idea to use the private browsing function in the web browser to avoid cookies from previously visited sites preventing purchase tracking.
I often use a completely separate browser than normal, clearing out cookies prior to purchase and disabling pop-up window and advert blocking add-ons.
Old Dec 18, 2014, 6:06 am

Programs: I go wherever the content takes me.
It is unambiguously clear from my view that if you use a voucher code it voids your entitlement to cashback:

"We do not award Avios for voucher codes that are not promoted on Gate 365."

Forget the VAT and delivery charges - what they mean is you only earn on the net price of the product. It's a red herring where the voucher code is concerned.
Old Dec 18, 2014, 6:17 am

Programs: BA Silver
Originally Posted by paul4040
It is unambiguously clear from my view that if you use a voucher code it voids your entitlement to cashback:

"We do not award Avios for voucher codes that are not promoted on Gate 365."

Forget the VAT and delivery charges - what they mean is you only earn on the net price of the product. It's a red herring where the voucher code is concerned.
+1 Struggling to see where the confusion arises from here. Perfectly, clear, perfectly standard, and perfectly in line with Quidco, for example.
Old Dec 18, 2014, 6:31 am

Programs: BAEC
Originally Posted by Scots_Al
+1 Struggling to see where the confusion arises from here. Perfectly, clear, perfectly standard, and perfectly in line with Quidco, for example.
I think the confusion comes because the T&Cs are not worded entirely clearly. I agree with you on what they've tried to express, but it's rather inelegant. I think what they really mean is:

"We do not award Avios for (1) any amount which was paid forVAT or delivery charges, or (2) for the full amount of any transaction where the purchaser used voucher codes that are not promoted on Gate 365"

Last edited by adamkenneth; Dec 18, 2014 at 8:07 pm
Old Dec 18, 2014, 6:58 am

Gate365 is a nightmare. I don't understand how they never track for Harrods, despite pushing it all over their website. You also have to remind them when making a claim 40+ days if a bonus rate was offered at time of purchase.
Old Dec 18, 2014, 7:25 am
Original Poster

Crikey! I nearly always wait until a voucher arrives before ordering wine and I've NEVER had a claim refused before, so I'm amazed that this has suddenly become an issue.

Oh well, it was good while it lasted, especially if I should never has been given Avios on almost all of my past orders.
Old Dec 18, 2014, 7:46 am

Programs: BA, Emirates, IHG, Accor, Marriott, Hilton
It is not surprising if they have tightened up their rules around this.....as previous references to Quidco and Topcashback - if you do get cashback and have used a voucher that is not on their site then you have been lucky.....seems this may now also apply to Gate 365.

My default option was to use Gate 365 when using a discount code as quite often TCB or Quidco declined it!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.