Search

62A or hope for AUP

Search this Thread

Old Dec 16, 2014, 11:11 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold, Club Carlson Concierge, Hilton Gold, ICHG Platinum
62A or hope for AUP

Hi everyone

I am on BA11 to Singapore next Monday night and am in Seat 62A on the upper deck.

There is no upgrade to First showing and on a dummy booking it only shows 2 seats in First left for sale 4A and 5K.

My question is this. If I ask at the airport about an AUP to first, do you think it's worth it on this flight? Giving up seat 62A? I am Gold and will retain Gold next year again.

Opinions please

Thanks
Old Dec 16, 2014, 11:21 am

Programs: BA Silver (OWS)
Given the timing of BA11 (take off LHR 19:10, land SIN 15:55) you will presumably be trying to sleep for a good portion of the flight. Personally I would go for 62A, as it is a very similar experience to F while asleep.
Old Dec 17, 2014, 1:55 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold, Club Carlson Concierge, Hilton Gold, ICHG Platinum
Thanks for that

I have done first a few times in the 777 but never on a 747
Old Dec 17, 2014, 2:08 am

Programs: AA EXP
I've never flown in BA first before, but unless it was 1a or 1k I wouldn't be too keen on the upgrade.
Old Dec 17, 2014, 2:20 am

Originally Posted by mikekelley
I've never flown in BA first before, but unless it was 1a or 1k I wouldn't be too keen on the upgrade.
Why?
Old Dec 17, 2014, 2:43 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, HHonors Gold, Marriot Bonvoy Gold, MeliaRewards Gold, Radisson Gold
Originally Posted by zeltergiset
Given the timing of BA11 (take off LHR 19:10, land SIN 15:55) you will presumably be trying to sleep for a good portion of the flight. Personally I would go for 62A, as it is a very similar experience to F while asleep.
I agree with this. 62a is a good seat and on an eastbound flight there just wouldn't be enough in it for me to worry about F. And for the parts of the flight where I am awakeish but maybe "dozing", I actually find the Z position of the CW seat more comfy than F anyway....
Old Dec 17, 2014, 2:50 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
On those numbers I think an AUP is unlikely. BA won't mind a few empty seats in First. If you had never flown first before then it may be a different answer, and I guess it's quite a long sector, but no, you're in a good seat, maybe save your cash or Avios for another time or even another airline!
Old Dec 17, 2014, 3:07 am

Programs: BA GGL / GFL, Mucci Diamond!, HH Diamond, Radisson Premium, IHG Gold, Hertz Gold
I'd stick with 62A as well. It's more private than the available seats in F, and is likely to be much quieter overnight if you want to sleep. Don't get me wrong, I like F, but it can be a little noisy at night if others are wanting to eat. In 62, you're a long way from the galley, you have unlimited legroom and you can save your cash for something else!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.