Wiki Posts
Search

Seat Selection

Search this Thread

Old Dec 9, 2014, 5:48 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA GGL, NH SFC, IHG Diamond, Radisson VIP, HH Diamond, SPG Gold
Seat Selection

I wonder why a selected seat is "always" changed. I used to get a seat I chose, but it does not work anymore.

Changes were normally only one row behind until the last year or so, then it is getting worse and worse from this year. For example, I chose 6A, which was moved to 21A at the "gate" (I even thought it's a cabin upgrade). I checked in online today, which shows the originally selected 6A has been moved to 12C.

I wonder why, did anyone have the same experience in these days?
Old Dec 9, 2014, 6:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K;BA Silver;AA G;HH Dia;HY Glob
Originally Posted by Dark Blue
I wonder why a selected seat is "always" changed. I used to get a seat I chose, but it does not work anymore.

Changes were normally only one row behind until the last year or so, then it is getting worse and worse from this year. For example, I chose 6A, which was moved to 21A at the "gate" (I even thought it's a cabin upgrade). I checked in online today, which shows the originally selected 6A has been moved to 12C.

I wonder why, did anyone have the same experience in these days?
Might it be the curtain shifting?
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/briti...ifters-47.html
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/briti...quot%3Bchanges
Old Dec 10, 2014, 12:38 am

It most likely has to do with the CE cabin being extended nearer the time of departure and by then many others would have pre assigned their seats hence you get "shifted" to nearer the back. I long have given up pre assigning the front rows and now choose either the exit rows (but even there you can get moved, depending on the Club configuration) or somewhere near the back of the plane.
If I still get moved I just think, it's one of these things and it doesn't bother me really.
Old Dec 10, 2014, 1:48 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
I also think you are victim of the curtain shifters. This may well be a greater issue compared to a couple of years ago (though in fact it is nothing new), since POUGs, AUPs and UuA on (some) corporate tickets have come in. So in the quest for maximising revenues, the risk of late and frequent curtain shifts is now much higher. Plus the cabin refits / BMI fleet / LGW leases means that the number of rows down the back is a moveable feast too. Finally the chance of a middle seat being left empty next to you at the front of ET is being phased out, except on 737s B seats, there again 737s are going off to retirement.

Put that together, you are only worth going for the front of ET if you can watch the situation carefully and/or set up seat alerts in proprietary software such as ExpertFlyer. Otherwise I am afraid you are setting yourself up to be curtainated without notice.
Old Dec 10, 2014, 5:18 am

I find another regular feature (reserved to SCH and above?); at least this appears to happen to me on the vast majority of my recent LGW-EDI flights: Selecting an exit row seat, and then being moved forward. Did not happen with a Bronze card...
Old Dec 10, 2014, 7:32 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA GGL, NH SFC, IHG Diamond, Radisson VIP, HH Diamond, SPG Gold
Thanks guys.

It happens too often, BA should pull the advance seat selection from the Gold benefits. I know seating might change even though if you select one in advance, but being moved from 6A to 21A (in particular at the boarding gate) was ridiculous!
Old Dec 10, 2014, 7:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by Dark Blue
It happens too often, BA should pull the advance seat selection from the Gold benefits. I know seating might change even though if you select one in advance, but being moved from 6A to 21A (in particular at the boarding gate) was ridiculous!
If you don't like this, then surely the answer is to pick a seat further back that's less at risk of being shifted like this? Rather than deprive all Golds of a facility that most value and know how to work.
Old Dec 10, 2014, 7:42 am

Programs: BA Silver
Seat Selection

Great suggestion Dark Blue. Is it a late entry for the FT 2014 popularity stakes?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.