LAX layover - luggage directly to OGG

Old Dec 8, 14, 3:15 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA G; AY Basic; HHonors G; Marriott S
LAX layover - luggage directly to OGG

Hi experts;

fairly new here, long-time lurker... Question: we are travelling HEL-LHR-LAX-OGG with 1 night stopover in LAX; Arriving BA269 and leaving next morning LAX-OGG.

Question is that can I check in the baggage all the way to OGG from HEL? Last time we had all our luggage with us on the stopover night in LAX, which is kinda unnecessary.

Party of 3 and upper deck Y on A380 - I know it is Y but those dual seats are bearable in my opinion :/

Cheers
-jouhka
Old Dec 8, 14, 3:57 am

Programs: BA Gold (GGL/CCR), HH Diamond, SPG Platinum
I've done this many times. You should be able to check your luggage all the way through. Where you may have a problem is if you overnight on the way back. The US check-in teams seem unable to deal with this, which is rather annoying!
Old Dec 8, 14, 4:10 am

Programs: BA Gold, TG Gold, HHonors Diamond, SPG Plat
Isnt LAX to OGG a domestic flight?

If so, dont you have to clear immigration and customs at your first US stop which would be LAX before flying on to Maui.
Old Dec 8, 14, 4:17 am

Programs: BAEC (busted back down to) Silver, ex-VS Gold, ex-UA Gold, Premier Inn Platinum-Iridium
You should be able to have your bags checked through to OGG on a single tag, but you will need to reclaim your bags in the US Border Inspection hall at LAX as this is your Port of Entry into the US, and clear them through the US Border.

Immediately after exiting this hall, there is an opportunity for you to re-check connecting bags. It's then just a case of whether or not the re-check facility can accept a bag for the next morning. Haven't tried myself, so can't comment.

Have a good trip...
Mike
Old Dec 8, 14, 4:18 am

Programs: BA GGL
You will have to collect your bag at LAX to clear Customs. You should then be able to give it to AA for the connecting flight so you don't have to lug it around. I have forgotten what the desk is called but it is pretty obvious (and I'm sure someone with a better memory will be along soon).
Old Dec 8, 14, 4:49 am

Programs: TK Gold, FB Silver, A3 Silver, BA Bronze
Yes, you can do this pretty straightforwardly. As others have pointed out, at LAX you'll have to clear customs and then just hand your bags to the staff at the baggage carousel.
Old Dec 8, 14, 5:06 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA G; AY Basic; HHonors G; Marriott S
Thanks all; last time we obviously missed the "connecting bags" desk...

-jouhka

Search this Thread
Search Engine: