GCL restricted lounge access in Newark

Old Dec 4, 14, 3:11 pm
  #1  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Programs: EK Gold, BA Gold, / HHonours : Diamond ,
Posts: 31
GCL restricted lounge access in Newark

Sitting in the lounge in Newark and decided to pop in to the food area and catch something to eat, however have been told I am scum bag Gold only and traveling WT so not allowed in that area. Quite welcome to munch on the crisps / peanuts etc but no food.

I was a bit surprised at this, lounge dragon told me it is the same worldwide, well sorry honey that just isnít so. Well it is not so in Miami / Hong Kong / Sydney / Singapore / Tokyo / Helsinki etc etc.

In fact I have not seen this before, off course have seen first areas but not a business dining area that excluded GCLs .

Am I in error here? or is this the new norm?
bbar2000 is offline  
Old Dec 4, 14, 3:14 pm
  #2  
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Quite close to NQY
Programs: BAEC Silver,clubcard,clubcard plus, BA Amex................ And Mucci x3 ;)
Posts: 9,357
I assume you are on a sleeper service tonight where CW passengers can have the meal on the ground before departure ?

If so, yes the meal is only for passengers in that cabin and not status passengers, its not the same world wide, but this is correct for any outstations that operate sleeper services.

Y will still get a full meal service onboard.


cs
cornishsimon is offline  
Old Dec 4, 14, 3:15 pm
  #3  
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Posts: 43,329
GCL restricted lounge access in Newark

I guess if you want CW or First pre flight dining it is best to pay for it. She is right, and this is the norm on these services.
corporate-wage-slave is offline  
Old Dec 4, 14, 3:18 pm
  #4  
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: UK/Las Vegas
Programs: BA Gold (GGL/CCR)
Posts: 12,899
Originally Posted by bbar2000 View Post
Sitting in the lounge in Newark and decided to pop in to the food area and catch something to eat, however have been told I am scum bag Gold only and traveling WT so not allowed in that area. Quite welcome to munch on the crisps / peanuts etc but no food.

I was a bit surprised at this, lounge dragon told me it is the same worldwide, well sorry honey that just isnít so. Well it is not so in Miami / Hong Kong / Sydney / Singapore / Tokyo / Helsinki etc etc.

In fact I have not seen this before, off course have seen first areas but not a business dining area that excluded GCLs .

Am I in error here? or is this the new norm?
This sounds normal, indeed GGL and CCR cardholders would have the same treatment. I've seen this in both IAD and JFK - pre-flight dining is for J and F pax only and status plays no part.
Tobias-UK is offline  
Old Dec 4, 14, 3:21 pm
  #5  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Programs: EK Gold, BA Gold, / HHonours : Diamond ,
Posts: 31
Originally Posted by cornishsimon View Post
I assume you are on a sleeper service tonight where CW passengers can have the meal on the ground before departure ?

If so, yes the meal is only for passengers in that cabin and not status passengers, its not the same world wide, but this is correct for any outstations that operate sleeper services.

Y will still get a full meal service onboard.


cs


I see, so sleeper service, implies a special food service for CW etc, ok then , no great qualms about that , still find it a bit odd I canít get a biscuit and a bit of cheese with my glass of vino, but hey you canít stay annoyed with someone who gives you free peanuts and beer for long :-) . Tls for the heads up.
bbar2000 is offline  
Old Dec 4, 14, 3:24 pm
  #6  
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: UK
Programs: BA Gold
Posts: 2,209
Originally Posted by bbar2000 View Post
...or is this the new norm?
It's been like this for some years now, at least 5 since I was on my first sleeper service flight IIRC.
Steve_ZA is offline  
Old Dec 4, 14, 3:24 pm
  #7  
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Ipswich
Posts: 7,519
Actually you should be able to get biscuits and cheese there. Check at the display near the front desk.

They also have self-serve M&Ms which makes up for other food failings for GCHs
windowontheAside is offline  
Old Dec 4, 14, 3:27 pm
  #8  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Oct 1999
Location: Juneau, Alaska.
Programs: AS 75K; BA Gold
Posts: 13,027
Originally Posted by bbar2000 View Post
Sitting in the lounge in Newark and decided to pop in to the food area and catch something to eat, however have been told I am scum bag Gold only and traveling WT so not allowed in that area. Quite welcome to munch on the crisps / peanuts etc but no food.

...
Am I in error here? or is this the new norm?
Yes, you are in error. No, it is not the new norm. Pre-flight supper (serving yourself from the buffet) is only available to those flying in CW or F. Status does not provide access. Pre-flight dining (waiter service at table with food from the buffet) is only available to those flying in F. Again, status does not provide access.

See also:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/19996975-post4.html
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/briti...ggestions.html
jerry a. laska is offline  
Old Dec 4, 14, 3:34 pm
  #9  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Programs: EK Gold, BA Gold, / HHonours : Diamond ,
Posts: 31
Originally Posted by windowontheAside View Post
Actually you should be able to get biscuits and cheese there. Check at the display near the front desk.

They also have self-serve M&Ms which makes up for other food failings for GCHs

Found it !!! thanks , if I had a pair of eyes I'd be dangerous. Cheese & Wine in hand , world order has been restored. Thanks :-)
bbar2000 is offline  
Old Dec 4, 14, 3:39 pm
  #10  
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Ipswich
Posts: 7,519
Originally Posted by bbar2000 View Post
Found it !!! thanks , if I had a pair of eyes I'd be dangerous. Cheese & Wine in hand , world order has been restored. Thanks :-)
No worries can you bring me some M&Ms?
windowontheAside is offline  
Old Dec 5, 14, 1:39 pm
  #11  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: London, UK
Programs: BA Gold, IHG Spire Ambassador
Posts: 14,134
In North America East Coast BA operated lounges, where a Sleeper Service is offered onboard in Club World, lounge dining is offered. This is a separate product from the main lounge area.

Pre-Flight Dining is only for First passengers, and Pre-Flight Supper is only for Club World passengers.
Genius1 is offline  
Old Dec 5, 14, 3:44 pm
  #12  
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: UK
Programs: BA, U2+, SK, AF/KL, IHG, Hilton, others gathering dust...
Posts: 2,286
Originally Posted by bbar2000 View Post

I was a bit surprised at this, lounge dragon told me it is the same worldwide, well sorry honey that just isn’t so. Well it is not so in Miami / Hong Kong / Sydney / Singapore / Tokyo / Helsinki etc etc.
She was almost half right. It's the norm on routes where there's a sleeper service (mainly US east coast). As you say, not the same elsewhere, though not always such a full food selection elsewhere either. Haven't been in EWR lounge for a couple of years, is the dining area you tried to enter still in the middle of the lounge? If so, could easily understand why you would stroll in there, it didn't look very separate last time I was there, unlike the heavily guarded buffet restaurant in JFK which I frequent more regularly...
Oaxaca is offline  
Old Dec 5, 14, 4:45 pm
  #13  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: London, UK
Programs: BA Gold, IHG Spire Ambassador
Posts: 14,134
The EWR Galleries lounge is fairly new - it has separate Pre-Flight Supper and Dining areas which are well policed.
Genius1 is offline  
Old Dec 5, 14, 4:47 pm
  #14  
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 109
Originally Posted by bbar2000 View Post
, still find it a bit odd I canít get a biscuit and a bit of cheese with my glass of vino, but hey you canít stay annoyed with someone who gives you free peanuts and beer for long :-) . Tls for the heads up.
I am frequent user of the BA lounge at EWR. Fyi on your next flight from there, there is a corner of the lounge which has a decent selection of sandwiches and hot soup laid out for all; so you are not just restricted to the selections of crisps and cookies that are placed by the bar.
jfs5 is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search Engine: