FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   British Airways | Executive Club (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club-446/)
-   -   GCL restricted lounge access in Newark (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club/1634216-gcl-restricted-lounge-access-newark.html)

bbar2000 Dec 4, 2014 3:11 pm

GCL restricted lounge access in Newark

Sitting in the lounge in Newark and decided to pop in to the food area and catch something to eat, however have been told I am scum bag Gold only and traveling WT so not allowed in that area. Quite welcome to munch on the crisps / peanuts etc but no food.

I was a bit surprised at this, lounge dragon told me it is the same worldwide, well sorry honey that just isn’t so. Well it is not so in Miami / Hong Kong / Sydney / Singapore / Tokyo / Helsinki etc etc.

In fact I have not seen this before, off course have seen first areas but not a business dining area that excluded GCLs .

Am I in error here? or is this the new norm?

cornishsimon Dec 4, 2014 3:14 pm

I assume you are on a sleeper service tonight where CW passengers can have the meal on the ground before departure ?

If so, yes the meal is only for passengers in that cabin and not status passengers, its not the same world wide, but this is correct for any outstations that operate sleeper services.

Y will still get a full meal service onboard.

cs

corporate-wage-slave Dec 4, 2014 3:15 pm

GCL restricted lounge access in Newark

I guess if you want CW or First pre flight dining it is best to pay for it. She is right, and this is the norm on these services.

Tobias-UK Dec 4, 2014 3:18 pm

Originally Posted by bbar2000 (Post 23943491)
Sitting in the lounge in Newark and decided to pop in to the food area and catch something to eat, however have been told I am scum bag Gold only and traveling WT so not allowed in that area. Quite welcome to munch on the crisps / peanuts etc but no food.

I was a bit surprised at this, lounge dragon told me it is the same worldwide, well sorry honey that just isn’t so. Well it is not so in Miami / Hong Kong / Sydney / Singapore / Tokyo / Helsinki etc etc.

In fact I have not seen this before, off course have seen first areas but not a business dining area that excluded GCLs .

This sounds normal, indeed GGL and CCR cardholders would have the same treatment. I've seen this in both IAD and JFK - pre-flight dining is for J and F pax only and status plays no part.

bbar2000 Dec 4, 2014 3:21 pm

Originally Posted by cornishsimon (Post 23943504)
I assume you are on a sleeper service tonight where CW passengers can have the meal on the ground before departure ?

If so, yes the meal is only for passengers in that cabin and not status passengers, its not the same world wide, but this is correct for any outstations that operate sleeper services.

Y will still get a full meal service onboard.

cs

I see, so sleeper service, implies a special food service for CW etc, ok then , no great qualms about that , still find it a bit odd I can’t get a biscuit and a bit of cheese with my glass of vino, but hey you can’t stay annoyed with someone who gives you free peanuts and beer for long :-) . Tls for the heads up.

Steve_ZA Dec 4, 2014 3:24 pm

...or is this the new norm?

It's been like this for some years now, at least 5 since I was on my first sleeper service flight IIRC.

windowontheAside Dec 4, 2014 3:24 pm

Actually you should be able to get biscuits and cheese there. Check at the display near the front desk.

They also have self-serve M&Ms which makes up for other food failings for GCHs :D

jerry a. laska Dec 4, 2014 3:27 pm

Yes, you are in error. No, it is not the new norm. Pre-flight supper (serving yourself from the buffet) is only available to those flying in CW or F. Status does not provide access. Pre-flight dining (waiter service at table with food from the buffet) is only available to those flying in F. Again, status does not provide access.

See also:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/19996975-post4.html
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/briti...ggestions.html

bbar2000 Dec 4, 2014 3:34 pm

Originally Posted by windowontheAside (Post 23943572)
Actually you should be able to get biscuits and cheese there. Check at the display near the front desk.

They also have self-serve M&Ms which makes up for other food failings for GCHs :D

Found it !!! thanks , if I had a pair of eyes I'd be dangerous. Cheese & Wine in hand , world order has been restored. Thanks :-)

windowontheAside Dec 4, 2014 3:39 pm

Originally Posted by bbar2000 (Post 23943631)
Found it !!! thanks , if I had a pair of eyes I'd be dangerous. Cheese & Wine in hand , world order has been restored. Thanks :-)

No worries :) can you bring me some M&Ms? :D

Genius1 Dec 5, 2014 1:39 pm

In North America East Coast BA operated lounges, where a Sleeper Service is offered onboard in Club World, lounge dining is offered. This is a separate product from the main lounge area.

Pre-Flight Dining is only for First passengers, and Pre-Flight Supper is only for Club World passengers.

Oaxaca Dec 5, 2014 3:44 pm

She was almost half right. It's the norm on routes where there's a sleeper service (mainly US east coast). As you say, not the same elsewhere, though not always such a full food selection elsewhere either. Haven't been in EWR lounge for a couple of years, is the dining area you tried to enter still in the middle of the lounge? If so, could easily understand why you would stroll in there, it didn't look very separate last time I was there, unlike the heavily guarded buffet restaurant in JFK which I frequent more regularly...

Genius1 Dec 5, 2014 4:45 pm

The EWR Galleries lounge is fairly new - it has separate Pre-Flight Supper and Dining areas which are well policed.

jfs5 Dec 5, 2014 4:47 pm

Originally Posted by bbar2000 (Post 23943542)
, still find it a bit odd I can’t get a biscuit and a bit of cheese with my glass of vino, but hey you can’t stay annoyed with someone who gives you free peanuts and beer for long :-) . Tls for the heads up.

I am frequent user of the BA lounge at EWR. Fyi on your next flight from there, there is a corner of the lounge which has a decent selection of sandwiches and hot soup laid out for all; so you are not just restricted to the selections of crisps and cookies that are placed by the bar.