Community
Wiki Posts
Search

BA, update your lounge computers

Search this Thread

Old Dec 4, 2014, 9:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Mucci Extraordinaire, Hilton Diamond, BA Gold (ex BD)
BA, update your lounge computers

BA's lounge computers need an urgent software update and as far as I know it's not possible to use your own laptop to print in LHR (although some more recently refurbished lounges has wifi printers).

The current lounge computers have a very old version of Internet Explorer that won't load Google Apps (including Gmail) correctly. It also doesn't have any alternative browsers to use.

Most of the computers sit there unused probably due to a combination of them being almost unusable for modern web apps and people having their own devices.

So they could get away with having fewer computers and a WiFi capable printer so people can use their own devices. They should then keep the computers that they have up to date and offer at least one alternative browser. I think they should have a couple of Macs at least (I know there's no chance we'd get Linux!)
I know the dangers of using a public computer so I have a 2nd Gmail address that I just use if I need something forwarded to a public computer, this means if this account is compromised it won't affect my main account.

I forwarded a document to print off and was surprised that I was unable to access my attachment in gmail because of the outdated browser. I had no time to find a workaround.
Old Dec 4, 2014, 9:55 am

Programs: Star Alliance Gold (A3 Gold), Oneworld Emerald (BA Gold), Hilton Diamond
Does anybody actually use these computers? I thought they were just for show!

Anyway, by the sounds of it, most people here are more worried about keeping the champagne flowing.
Old Dec 4, 2014, 10:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by headingwest

Anyway, by the sounds of it, most people here are more worried about keeping the champagne flowing.
I've heard Raffles travels without a laptop and often uses facilities like this or hotel business centres to update headforpoints.com

As for me I tend to have to carry a laptop but it's great on the odd occasion that I don't, however, the lounge computers are the only way that I know of that you can print in the lounge.

For those two reasons it seems to make sense to have some sort of facility that's kept up to date.

In T5 the computers and champagne are close to each other so you can keep it flowing while you print!
Old Dec 4, 2014, 10:16 am

Programs: BA Silver
Does anybody actually use these computers?
Yes, and they print. And how they can print!

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/briti...o-manners.html
Old Dec 4, 2014, 10:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
At the risk of going OT, has anyone found many 'public computers' that are well-maintained, capable and up to date?

I've managed OLCI in some creaky 'business enters', but never tried to do anything more complex than that.
Old Dec 4, 2014, 10:33 am

Programs: BA Silver, AF Ivory
Originally Posted by T8191
At the risk of going OT, has anyone found many 'public computers' that are well-maintained, capable and up to date?
The iMacs in the CDG CX lounge are pretty good!
Old Dec 4, 2014, 10:40 am
Suspended
Hilton Contributor Badge

Completely agree. I use them on most trips to print out a map of my destination and a hotel confirmation so that I've got it for when I land.
Old Dec 4, 2014, 10:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by andset1191
Completely agree. I use them on most trips to print out a map of my destination and a hotel confirmation so that I've got it for when I land.
Hmmm ... I print all that stuff at home, and stick it in the travel wallet along with the OLCI BPs, at T-24.
Serious question ... why leave it until the last minute, especially when relying on someone else's IT system?
Not a dig, I assure you, just curious.
Old Dec 4, 2014, 11:48 am

Programs: Losing status by the day
When we do our annual big holiday, where typically we go somewhere and travel about, I print an info pack of hotel and travel reservations day-by-day. Each day we discard whatever's in the past, starting from a big stapled wodge, eventually reducing to just our return flight detail sheet.

At some point before we go, when I find myself passing through GF, I do the printing - I don't have a printer at home and I don't like doing bulk personal printing at work.

For me - a very useful, convenient perk of status.

As is - it's just an insurance against a lost smartphone.
Old Dec 4, 2014, 12:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by henners
As is - it's just an insurance against a lost smartphone.
Or a flat battery

It might be my age, but having all this stuff in hard copy is a great comfort blanket

But then we've had threads on that in the past!
Old Dec 4, 2014, 1:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

I'm extremely young (well same age as young KARFA ) so I don't see the need to print much. Therefore when my printer died I never got a new one, didn't see the need. I travel through Heathrow enough to use their facilities on the rare occasions I need it.

As a freelancer I don't like using the printer in a clients office unless my printing is work related.
Old Dec 4, 2014, 1:02 pm

Programs: BA, Marriott, Hertz, Dennis The Menace Fan Club
I use one each week in the FLounge to buy tickets on the Swedish rail site and print them out. Sometimes when the lounge is full, it is the only place you can get a seat.
Old Dec 4, 2014, 3:54 pm
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by layz
I'm extremely young (well same age as young KARFA ) ...
Old Dec 4, 2014, 3:57 pm

Programs: Meow Mix
I have to say the T5 GC South computers are fine for what I need them to do.

Was able to print some academic papers from journals and do some emails via gmail. I usually carry USB sticks with me anyway to transfer documents between my laptop and their desktop. Great for printing coursework

I guess it really depends on what you want it to do.

/AE
Old Dec 4, 2014, 3:59 pm
Suspended

Programs: BA Gold, UA Silver, CC Gold, SPG Gold
computers aren't printers

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.