Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Why do BA keep running out of champagne?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 4, 2014, 5:32 am

Programs: BAEC
Originally Posted by flibbly
... because too many customers seem to think that attempting to drink their own body weight in the most expensive drink available is the only acceptable way of deriving value from their ticket.
I suspect that there is a fair degree of that but (a) that is no excuse for BA taking care of the other customers (see below) and (b) so what? People pay fortunes for a J ticket and if they want to drink 10 litres of champagne (BA don't pay duty on it do they) then that cost is minimal compared to the ticket.

Originally Posted by headingwest
I agree that some passengers go over the top, but what about the ones that just want to have a nice drink while flying in comfort? There are far more responsible drinkers than hardcore boozers!
Old Dec 4, 2014, 6:43 am

Travelled CW LGW/PUJ/LGW 22 Nov/29 Nov and all champagne ran out on both flights. In fact was told only 1 bottle of pink on o/b, none on i/b and only Taittinger carried on both flights. Sure it was a holiday flight & both myself & my wife only wanted a glass or 2 each, however BA couldn't even manage that!
Old Dec 4, 2014, 7:09 am

Talking

Originally Posted by BahrainLad
...then they would get both barrels, frankly.
Of course, that's assuming one of barrels wasn't used on the outward leg...

Steve
Old Dec 4, 2014, 7:13 am

I'm sure you guys have all read this infamous thread from back in 2010: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/trip-...-bkk-sq-f.html
Old Dec 4, 2014, 7:37 am

Yeah, however, I do not think BA have that problem. They don't even have Dom in F do they?
Old Dec 4, 2014, 7:41 am
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club, easyJet and Ryanair

Programs: BA Gold (GGL/CCR)
Originally Posted by flieduk
Yeah, however, I do not think BA have that problem. They don't even have Dom in F do they?
Thank goodness ... and long may it stay that way!
Old Dec 4, 2014, 7:43 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA GGL CCR GfL, SQ Gold, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond, Marriott Plat, Cafe Nero Loyalty Card (7 Stamps)
Originally Posted by flieduk
They serve Laurent Perrier Grand Seicle. You can pick it up for around Ł90 a bottle. 2004 Dom would be around Ł100 a bottle.
Old Dec 4, 2014, 7:45 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
The weight of the beverage, whether water or top-of-the-line champagne contributes to the cost more than the purchase price itself. BA purchases vast quantities based on fixed-price wholesale contracts. But, it also does so tax (including duty)-free for anything served once airborne.

Given limited space and weight constraints, perhaps it makes more sense to limit the variety, e.g. only one type and to be stricter about raiding the return supplies on the outbound. Clearly the estimations performed by crew about the return are poorly done and that is not fair. The solution is to cater as though return items are for return only.
Old Dec 4, 2014, 7:46 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, Alitalia Freccia Alata, Avis PC, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by DYKWIA

EK have a 500 quid a bottle wine at the moment in F. So, there's half the ticket price back in wine
Do you remember the name of the wine?
Old Dec 4, 2014, 7:50 am

Originally Posted by Often1
The weight of the beverage, whether water or top-of-the-line champagne contributes to the cost more than the purchase price itself. BA purchases vast quantities based on fixed-price wholesale contracts. But, it also does so tax (including duty)-free for anything served once airborne.

Given limited space and weight constraints, perhaps it makes more sense to limit the variety, e.g. only one type and to be stricter about raiding the return supplies on the outbound. Clearly the estimations performed by crew about the return are poorly done and that is not fair. The solution is to cater as though return items are for return only.
Or to have contingency supplier at your outstation
Old Dec 4, 2014, 7:51 am

Originally Posted by Often1
You mean it would not be much different for BA to serve Champers in Y? (apart from the opportunity cost of customers downgrading)
Old Dec 4, 2014, 7:53 am

Originally Posted by tobaornottoba
Do you remember the name of the wine?
*pokes head out of the EK forum*

Someone pointed me in the direction of this thread for some reason Maybe it's to find out where DYKWIA hides when he isn't browsing the EK forum

The wine in question is Penfolds Grange 2005 - at the moment only on AU routes (ex-DXB and ex-AU). 500USD, not 500GBP I think. However, EK buy their wines many, many years in advance and have special storage capacity in DXB and overseas for it - the group also operates quite a large Wine and Spirits trading and retail business so I imagine they have not paid anything like the current commercial price for it!
Old Dec 4, 2014, 8:04 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, Alitalia Freccia Alata, Avis PC, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by eternaltransit
*pokes head out of the EK forum*

Someone pointed me in the direction of this thread for some reason Maybe it's to find out where DYKWIA hides when he isn't browsing the EK forum

The wine in question is Penfolds Grange 2005 - at the moment only on AU routes (ex-DXB and ex-AU). 500USD, not 500GBP I think. However, EK buy their wines many, many years in advance and have special storage capacity in DXB and overseas for it - the group also operates quite a large Wine and Spirits trading and retail business so I imagine they have not paid anything like the current commercial price for it!
Excellent, I'm flying to NZ with EK in F next month, thanks for the information.
Old Dec 4, 2014, 8:05 am

Programs: GGL/CCR
Originally Posted by headingwest
I'd be interested to know how much alcohol one person could drink on a flight. Surely, if a passenger was showing signs of serious intoxication, the flight attendants would refuse to serve more drinks.

Also, how much could a few glasses of spirits, wines or champagne cost? I'm probably capable of drinking only about 4 glasses of booze during a 5 hour period. Is it possible for one passenger to drink more than Ł30 worth of alcohol during one flight?
Yes

2 of us did 16 large glasses of LPGS recently - was amazing
Old Dec 4, 2014, 8:10 am

Originally Posted by tobaornottoba
Excellent, I'm flying to NZ with EK in F next month, thanks for the information.
Unfortunately I think you will be too late then - EK change their wine and menus every month or two. In fact you can check the wine list and menu for your flight on the EK website and it looks like AU/NZ destinations then instead are stocking a Gruaud Larose 2001, amongst other things.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.