Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

[Ex-Scotland] APD Devolved to Scottish Parliament. Any impact to BA?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

[Ex-Scotland] APD Devolved to Scottish Parliament. Any impact to BA?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 28, 2016, 12:52 pm

Originally Posted by AA_EXP09
£70+ for J still seems rather steep, and would stil encourage ex EU.
(that being said, I do not fly out of Scotland for now, and do not plan to do so in the near future.)
People spending £1000 on a flight are going to buy another ticket and fly to another country, possibly risking missing their flight or having to buy a hotel room, just to avoid less than £70 in tax?

I'm fairly certain if people are doing that it will be down to large fare differentials that have nothing to do with whether the APD is £70 or £0. I can't see that APD is even encouraging ex-EU at 100% - how many people do you know would choose to fly from AMS instead of LHR because it's £140 cheaper?
Old Jan 28, 2016, 1:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
In all the calculations I have done - and posted on FT and other boards I am on - on the difference in the price of an ex-EU and a direct ex-UK flight - for both Y and J - the APD amounts to around 20% of the total saving. The other 80% being the difference in base fare / carrier surcharge.

APD is NOT the reason for ex-EU flights being cheaper than Ex-UK.
Old Jan 28, 2016, 2:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OW Emerald, *A Gold, NEXUS, GE, ABTC/APEC, South Korea SES, eIACS, PP, Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by callum9999
People spending £1000 on a flight are going to buy another ticket and fly to another country, possibly risking missing their flight or having to buy a hotel room, just to avoid less than £70 in tax?

I'm fairly certain if people are doing that it will be down to large fare differentials that have nothing to do with whether the APD is £70 or £0. I can't see that APD is even encouraging ex-EU at 100% - how many people do you know would choose to fly from AMS instead of LHR because it's £140 cheaper?
IRROPS is covered by the airline.
At least one FT member is in that group.
Some people also do similar on awards (i.e. LONZRH on RFS Y, ZRHHKG on CX F, despite availability on LONHKG.)

Last edited by AA_EXP09; Jan 28, 2016 at 2:18 pm
Old Jan 28, 2016, 3:41 pm

Originally Posted by AA_EXP09
IRROPS is covered by the airline.
At least one FT member is in that group.
Some people also do similar on awards (i.e. LONZRH on RFS Y, ZRHHKG on CX F, despite availability on LONHKG.)
Not necessarily on separate tickets... This is BA, not AA.

One FT member means very little, not that the scenario they describe actually matches this given they aren't starting from the UK in the first place. FT members tend to be atypical of a normal flyer to start with, the one you chose is atypical of FT members (and seems a bit annoying with their little rant about how awful it is that taxes on their luxury travel should help UK citizens out!).

It costs £300 extra (one way) to fly from London instead of Zurich - it's the exact same principle as the ex-EU cash tickets mentioned before.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.