Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Changes to Gold Guest List Qualification Criteria

Old Nov 26, 2014, 5:24 am

Programs: I go wherever the content takes me.
Originally Posted by xenole

Well, there's been at least a couple of people on these forums who've got GGL from TP runs (not solely).
Very easy if you'd booked say 3 of those AMS-HEL-LHR/LCY-JFK-LAX-HNL runs a little while ago for £1019 / 1400-1500TP.
BA doesn't change its membership criteria based on a tiny number of members. This will be about the general upturn in economy, and people travelling in premium cabins more. BA made a handsome profit mostly off its LH business last year.

As someone who stands to attain Gold in January, I'm rubbing my hands at the prospect at an announcement in February saying that all existing Golds can renew at 1500TP but new ones have to hit 2500. Schadenfreude...

We will see what else happens. I doubt GGL is the only membership level BA has in mind for changes. As someone who flies on his own £ 95% of the time I hope any changes won't affect me.
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club, easyJet and Ryanair

Programs: BA Gold (GGL/CCR)
Originally Posted by Swanhunter
The wording does seem a bit opaque on the renewal criteria beyond the next membership year. Will it stay at 3000 or inflate? ...
The wording of the new (Jan 2015) T&Cs suggest the 3000 renewal is indefinite.

Programs: GGLfL
Originally Posted by teledude
I will hit 5000 next year but was planning on maintaining with 3k - might rethink that now as the main appeal was the GUF2 and 2 x GUF1 which I can still get by hitting 3500....
Sorry, why do you need to rethink?

5000 gets you GGL
3000 maintains it

What's the issue?
Old Nov 26, 2014, 5:25 am

Programs: GGLfL
Originally Posted by Tobias-UK
Indeed. Nothing to suggest the renewal threshold is changing.
Old Nov 26, 2014, 5:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I can certainly see that, however the use of the phrase "in the next membership year" in the Q&A section could be read in a less positive light. However I am not panicking.
Old Nov 26, 2014, 5:26 am

Programs: GGL/CCR
Originally Posted by MrSimonR
Sorry, why do you need to rethink?

5000 gets you GGL
3000 maintains it

What's the issue?
Misread - ignore me
Old Nov 26, 2014, 5:27 am
formerly bdohmen

Programs: Still dealing with the loss of my BA Concorde Room Card

Not gonna lie I am pretty bummed about this. Got 3000+ last year and will be at 3000+ next year but not by April unfortunately. I agree with c-w-s about extending it to December but for those of you who made the cut congrats!
Old Nov 26, 2014, 5:39 am

Originally Posted by Swanhunter
I can certainly see that, however the use of the phrase "in the next membership year" in the Q&A section could be read in a less positive light. However I am not panicking.
Ah, I see. And this is BA who are notorious for using purposely flowery, confusing-verging-on-misleading language.

Even with my significant reduction in BA short haul (because of the lack of fast track flight connections) I'll be way over 5000 TPs for the foreseeable future, so no worries here either.
Old Nov 26, 2014, 5:43 am

Programs: Mucci, BA Gold, TK Elite, HHonors Lifetime Diamond
Originally Posted by paul4040
BA doesn't change its membership criteria based on a tiny number of members. This will be about the general upturn in economy, and people travelling in premium cabins more. BA made a handsome profit mostly off its LH business last year.
I guess 'tiny' needs to be looked at in a context. TP runs to attain GGL may be tiny in comparison to the number of BAEC members (or even GCHs) but if people, who otherwise would not reach/go for GGL if it were not for the TPs runs across the USA or the cheap XXX-HNL J/F fares, represent 10 or 15% of the overall number of GGL members then BA may take a different view. We don't know what the increase in the number of GGL was that prompted BA to raise the threshold.

Last edited by Andriyko; Nov 26, 2014 at 6:23 am
Old Nov 26, 2014, 5:47 am

Programs: BA Silver
Originally Posted by Andriyko
I guess in the same manner that European members were called 'Eurocheats"...
A new term was need: GGLuttons?
Old Nov 26, 2014, 5:53 am

Programs: BA Silver
The Eurocheats are those who are/were UK residents using an address in Euroland in order to 'cheat' the system and get status at the lower TP thresholds. Genuine Euroland residents are not Eurocheats.
If I remember correctly, the wording was a "correspondence" address, and there was no hard requirement for that to be your place of residence.

So, I see no difference between those that used a valid Euro address to earn BA's tier status and the GGLuttons who did otherwise unnecessary TP runs in order to gain status. Both are/were within the rules.
Old Nov 26, 2014, 5:59 am

Originally Posted by Paralytic
If I remember correctly, the wording was a "correspondence" address, and there was no hard requirement for that to be your place of residence.

So, I see no difference between those that used a valid Euro address to earn BA's tier status and the GGLuttons who did otherwise unnecessary TP runs in order to gain status. Both are/were within the rules.
Either way you look at it, Euroland residents were not considered Eurocheats. But that discussion is OT in this topic.
Old Nov 26, 2014, 6:04 am

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold (GGL/CCR) A3 Gold VS Gold Emirates Gold Alitalia MMGold HH Diamond SPG Gold
I would agree with CWS and some others it would have seemed more equitable to allow those who had reached 3000+ tier points in the last membership year(such as myself) the remainder of the current membership year to achieve another 3000+ points? it is what it is, but the cut off at April seems a little arbitrary and slightly unfair for those who were working towards initial GGL qualification. I suppose it is representative of the upturn in the economy but personally I am disappointed by this.
Old Nov 26, 2014, 6:06 am

Programs: Star Alliance Gold (A3 Gold), Oneworld Emerald (BA Gold), Hilton Diamond
Can someone clarify something for me;

Apart from passengers travelling First or guested passengers, only members who have earned 5,000 Tier Points and thus have a CCR card can access the Concorde Room? Is that correct?

GGL members don't all have access to the Concorde Room, do they?

Just so I'm clear on this.
Old Nov 26, 2014, 6:07 am

Programs: BA GGL
That's correct, headingwest. GGL members do not automatically get access to the CCR, unless they are flying in F or have reached 5,000 TPs and received a CCR card.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.