Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Changes to Gold Guest List Qualification Criteria

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Changes to Gold Guest List Qualification Criteria

Search this Thread

Old Nov 26, 2014, 4:39 am

Programs: Star Alliance Gold (A3 Gold), Oneworld Emerald (BA Gold), Hilton Diamond
Surely a few upset members today on hearing this news.

I actually considered booking a few flights to cross the 3,000 TP threshold but then decided that the benefits really aren't worth it for me. I'm so glad I didn't!

I do geniunely feel a little sorry for other new members who were striving to reach the target, but have now been left disappointed. It would have been better if they had still been able to reach the old target this year (in their first registered year).

Last edited by headingwest; Nov 26, 2014 at 4:48 am Reason: Typo
Old Nov 26, 2014, 4:49 am

Programs: BA GGL/CCR
I have read GGL numbers are 2-3K and CCR under 500. If that is true then this will genuinely make GGL much more exclusive.
Old Nov 26, 2014, 4:51 am

Programs: BA GGL, UA Plat, DL Plat, Hilton Diamond
I for one am delighted by this change.

I will never, ever hit TP5k in a single year, but I might have been tempted to push on to TP3k next year with an additional TP run.

Now I won't bother, next year or ever.

So that's thousands of pounds saved which I can spend on something else, or on another airline
Old Nov 26, 2014, 4:53 am

Originally Posted by MrSimonR
I agree. Call centre wait times are not what they used to be. The "special" and "exclusive" feel was lost years ago.

I doubt that the TP runners (aka GGL abusers) make up anything but a tiny minority of GGL members, and are not the issue.

The issue is just that 3000 TPs is not that hard to get and there are too many GGL members to deliver the personal and special service which was originally intended.
That's just silly - how can anyone following the rules of the scheme by labelled an "abuser" ? Ridiculous
Old Nov 26, 2014, 4:56 am

Programs: GGL/CCR
I will hit 5000 next year but was planning on maintaining with 3k - might rethink that now as the main appeal was the GUF2 and 2 x GUF1 which I can still get by hitting 3500....
Old Nov 26, 2014, 5:00 am

Programs: Mucci, BA Gold, TK Elite, HHonors Lifetime Diamond
Originally Posted by njf63
That's just silly - how can anyone following the rules of the scheme by labelled an "abuser" ? Ridiculous
I guess in the same manner that European members were called 'Eurocheats"...
Old Nov 26, 2014, 5:05 am

Programs: BA Gold, CX Gold (OW Sapphire), Hilton Gold, SPG Gold, Accor Platinum
Disappointing. First year that I would be in a position to hit 3k, and with work pattern, would be on again for it post April 8 (my year end, anyhow).

As it is, won't get 5k, so for me, chances of GGL are gone. A sad change, Jeni.
Old Nov 26, 2014, 5:06 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by teledude
I will hit 5000 next year but was planning on maintaining with 3k - might rethink that now as the main appeal was the GUF2 and 2 x GUF1 which I can still get by hitting 3500....
Jokers are a big benefit for GGL.
Old Nov 26, 2014, 5:07 am

Programs: I go wherever the content takes me.
Originally Posted by 27R
I wonder how much the ease of accumulating 3000 for two years via the runs in the TP thread might have contributed to this? It's pretty easy for someone who'd be a solid Gold on regular flights to set aside a week and £1500 and push themselves over 3000. Under these new rules, scoring the additional TPs with the sole intention of getting GGL means a much greater commitment.
Tier Point runs are completely irrelevant and not many people do them.

I'd imagine this is to do with the upturn in the economy recently - if you look at some of the travel people on this board put in for work purposes it really is quite something to behold.
Old Nov 26, 2014, 5:08 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, IHG Diamond
Doesn't really affect me to be honest. I'm not flying again until after my TPs reset next month as I hate losing them

The benefits of GGL to me are negligible. I generally travel solo in various classes so a couple of vouchers won't be of major use to me and the fact that no-one really knows what it is or recognises it when travelling is another negative.
The CCR card is only useful is 2 lounges in the world as well and if you travel enough, you've probably got access to First Class lounges elsewhere without this status.

That said, renewing for 3000 TP a year is easy enough to achieve once you've got GGL status.

Originally Posted by paul4040
Tier Point runs are completely irrelevant and not many people do them.
Well, there's been at least a couple of people on these forums who've got GGL from TP runs (not solely).
Very easy if you'd booked say 3 of those AMS-HEL-LHR/LCY-JFK-LAX-HNL runs a little while ago for Ł1019 / 1400-1500TP.
Old Nov 26, 2014, 5:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The wording does seem a bit opaque on the renewal criteria beyond the next membership year. Will it stay at 3000 or inflate?

If it goes up I will drop to LTG as I have no interesting in spending time and cash on mindless runs around the US. Better to use the money to fly where I want on the most appropriate carrier for the destination.

As ever, any scheme changes are a salutary reminder not to have all your eggs in one basket. @:-)

Last edited by Swanhunter; Nov 26, 2014 at 5:24 am
Old Nov 26, 2014, 5:15 am
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club, easyJet and Ryanair

Programs: BA Gold (GGL/CCR)
Originally Posted by Andriyko
I guess in the same manner that European members were called 'Eurocheats"...
The Eurocheats are those who are/were UK residents using an address in Euroland in order to 'cheat' the system and get status at the lower TP thresholds. Genuine Euroland residents are not Eurocheats.
Old Nov 26, 2014, 5:15 am

Programs: BAEC GGL
Originally Posted by Jordan D
Disappointing. First year that I would be in a position to hit 3k, and with work pattern, would be on again for it post April 8 (my year end, anyhow).

As it is, won't get 5k, so for me, chances of GGL are gone. A sad change, Jeni.
I agree this is a sad change. I hit 3K in the collection year that ended for me this month. No chance to make 3K before April but I would do before next Nov. I would have comfortably made 3K two years running had my membership year run April to April rather than Nov to Nov.

It would have seemed a fairer "Good Will gesture" to say that anyone who had reached 3K in their last membership year had until the end of their current membership year to reach the 3K mark i.e. extend the deadline for those already in the process from April until Nov/Dec.
Old Nov 26, 2014, 5:16 am

Programs: BA Gold,, Hilton HHonors Gold
Code:
A bit disappointing as I am currently on 2820 and was planning on 3000 this year and the next. But rules are rules I guess. I will have to now think about trying to go for 3500 TPs or not.
Old Nov 26, 2014, 5:17 am

Originally Posted by Swanhunter
The wording does seem a bit opaque on the renewal criteria beyond the next membership year. Will it stay at 3000 or inflate?

If it goes up I will drop to LTG as I have no interesting in spending time and cash on mindless runs around the US. Better to use the money to fly where I want on the most appropriate carrier for the destination.

As ever, any scheme changes are a salutary reminder to have all your eggs in one basket. @:-)
I think you missed a "not" there

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.