Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Retro Liveries? What would you like to see?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Retro Liveries? What would you like to see?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 25, 2014, 10:53 am

Programs: Mucci des Ancients Matelots
Originally Posted by kered
Was it "4 engines 4 long haul" ?
I definitely remember '4 engines 4 long haul' and at the same time 'No way BA/AA!' being painted on the side.
Old Nov 25, 2014, 10:56 am

Programs: BA-Gold (dropping to Silver soon); AA & Flying Blue; Top Gear (the Clarkson years); Doctor Who :)
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...lo_Display.jpg

Not BA retro (more RAF retro) - but could look good on one or two of the current fleet?
Old Nov 25, 2014, 11:06 am

Programs: Star Alliance Gold (A3 Gold), Oneworld Emerald (BA Gold), Hilton Diamond
Slightly off topic, but how often do they have to repaint the planes?
Old Nov 25, 2014, 11:07 am
Suspended

Programs: Marriott Platinum and BAEC blue again :'(
I really like the Landor livery. There is an sense of arrogance and patriotism about it showing off national pride. It's Royal looking too. I can't help but think of flying 'class'

Last edited by WeAreFlyingHigh; Nov 25, 2014 at 11:16 am
Old Nov 25, 2014, 11:09 am
BOH

Programs: IC Hotels Spire, BA Gold
Originally Posted by TRISTAR1979
I would love to see a Landor 767 at LHR and a BCAL A320 at Gatwick.
<Anorak alert> I don't believe any ever landed at LGW with the BCAL livery, IIRC they all went straight to BA at LHR. Can't remember if they were repainted by Airbus prior to delivery or BA at LHR.

Still, would be good to see one at LGW and rekindle some memories of the tartan!
Old Nov 25, 2014, 11:16 am

Programs: BA Silver Seigneur des Horaires des Mucci.
Originally Posted by buzzrm
Were airbus around in BEA days ?
Old Nov 25, 2014, 11:21 am
BOH

Programs: IC Hotels Spire, BA Gold
Originally Posted by allturnleft
Were airbus around in BEA days ?
Not really, Airbus first flew the A300 in 1972 and BEA merged into BA in 1974. So some small overlap.

I do believe Airbus touted the A300 to BEA however for their main European destinations like Frankfurt, Paris etc but it was felt too unproven and a political plane with no track record of support by the OEM. So BEA bought the L1011 instead and BA inherited those at the merger.
Old Nov 25, 2014, 11:36 am

Programs: United 1K, Alaska MVP 75K, HH Diamond
I'd go with the Landor Livery, classic and elegant in my view. The current one is not too bad either.
Old Nov 25, 2014, 12:23 pm
Original Poster

Programs: I go wherever the content takes me.
Originally Posted by Can I help you
I don't like retro liveries, complete waste of time and money.
But it is always such a pleasure to deal with retro cabin crew.
Old Nov 25, 2014, 12:24 pm

Programs: BAEC
Originally Posted by headingwest
Slightly off topic, but how often do they have to repaint the planes?
Aircraft will almost always have to be completely repainted after a D Check, which involves stripping the paint to look at the fuselage skin to check for corrosion etc.
These checks occur roughly every 5-6 years (and are very lengthy, taking over a month to complete).

I would assume that this would be a fair indicator of how often they're repainted, although individual a/c may be repainted for special reasons, or if it gets damaged etc/a new livery is introduced etc.

I hope that they repaint a (or even more) 767 in Landor when the final retirement date nears. Same goes for the 747.
Old Nov 25, 2014, 12:31 pm

Programs: Star Alliance Gold (A3 Gold), Oneworld Emerald (BA Gold), Hilton Diamond
Thanks for that information GSTBK.

I think it will be a sad day when they retire the 747, surely one of the most iconic planes.
Old Nov 25, 2014, 12:43 pm
Suspended

Programs: Marriott Platinum and BAEC blue again :'(
I think if Boeing did a 747 comfortably sitting 12 across on the main deck with the upper deck 50% the length of the lower deck with the entire thing 10% longer than it currently is, with Trent XWB's, it would be a hard opportunity to miss for most airlines. The length with extra width and enlarged upper deck would bring capacity close to the A380, and you could carry more cargo than the A380. With engine improvements the plane could fly further for less.
Old Nov 25, 2014, 12:45 pm

BOAC

Originally Posted by paul4040
Following on from a thread recounting some of BA's great TV adverts - what would you like to see in the hypothetical situation that BA introduce retro liveries on select aircraft, following the trend set by other airlines?

The 1974 Union Flag motif? (Mainly red tail)

Landor livery?

Utopia Ethnic liveries? (Much maligned)

Or something else going even further back?

I'd love to see the current Dove aircraft stripped and painted in the Landor livery.
Thinking of boing all the way back. Back, back, back to BOAC. Recall the Beatles song?
Old Nov 25, 2014, 12:48 pm

Going way back.

Originally Posted by GaxxyFlyer
I definitely remember '4 engines 4 long haul' and at the same time 'No way BA/AA!' being painted on the side.
https://encrypted-tbn3.gstatic.com/i...BrfV2FIas5vY3e
Old Nov 25, 2014, 12:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
Proper jet, proper VIP squadron (No 216) ... and they were working on a scheme based on the Rothmans cigarette packet, but that never came to fruition.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.