Old Oct 31, 2015, 6:06 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: beltway
British Airways' mileage currency (Avios) offer a potentially advantageous option for redeeming for award tickets on AA, especially on shorter flights. This wiki attempts to summarize key aspects of the program, as well as several problems and workarounds relating to use of the BA website.
What are the general rules for redeeming Avios?
  • Avios is charged per individual flight segment. The cost for a single connecting itinerary AAA-BBB-CCC is the same as the cost of two separate tickets for travel AAA-BBB & BBB-CCC.
  • Avios uses a distance-based chart. (See below.)
    • International first and AA domestic three-class first cost roughly 4x as many Avios as coach.
    • For segments over 2000 miles, business class (and first-class awards on AA domestic two-class service) costs roughly 2.5x coach.
    • For segments under 2000 miles, business class (and first-class awards on AA domestic two-class service) costs roughly 2x coach.
  • You can redeem one-way awards with Avios.
  • Avios is generally region-agnostic. (That is, a given distance costs the same regardless of whether it traverses one or more world regions.) Thus, Avios can provide great value when flying to Hawaii for those who fly coach and can do so in one segment.
  • There is no ticketing fee for online booking. If you call instead of booking online, there is a $25 ticketing fee. (Some people have success in getting this fee waived when an itinerary cannot be booked online, making a phone call unavoidable.)
  • There is no close-in ticketing fee.
  • BA charges $55 to cancel or change a ticket. However, if you cancel online, your cost is capped at the amount of taxes/TSA fees paid; for domestic itineraries on AA, this will normally be much less than $55. (This workaround does not apply to changing a ticket online, which will incur the full $55 fee.) You must cancel 24 hours in advance to get the Avios redeposited; see the BAEC T&C, section 17.
On December 12, 2023, BA substantially increased the cost of awards in the first four bands. The new award chart:

What's the process for redeeming Avios?
Go to the Avios award search page; log in; and enter your desired itinerary.

Great! That sounds easy! What's the catch?
Unfortunately, there are several practical restrictions on redeeming Avios for domestic travel on AA, especially when attempting to book online.
  • Most importantly, AA MileSAAver awards must be available. (You can confirm award availability at the lowest level by searching the AA site directly or by using a third-party service such as Expert Flyer.)
  • The BA search tool cannot generate partner itineraries that include more than one connection. (You can still book each segment as an individual ticket, although doing so will create problems if you wish to check luggage all the way through and/or if you miss a connection owing to flight delays.)
  • Even where AA has low-level award availability, the Avios search tool will often fail to display it. This is especially true on routes with numerous flights in a single day (such as the DCA-LGA, LGA-BOS & DCA-BOS shuttles), but occurs regularly on numerous routes. There is no workaround except calling BA reservations.
    • Recommendation: Always search for one-way awards. The BA search tool is known to display no availability in either direction on round-trip searches when awards are in fact available in one direction but not the other.
  • The BA search engine will accept metropolitan area pseudo-codes (WAS, LON, PAR, NYC, etc.) as well as individual airport codes. For best results, try both (e.g., DCA, BWI & IAD as well as WAS).
OK, I managed to make an award booking despite all these pitfalls. How do I get my AAdvantage number into the reservation in order to enjoy my AA elite benefits?
When finalizing the booking of your award ticket on the BA site, delete your BA Executive Club number from the frequent-flyer ID box. Once the ticket is issued, you can update the reservation on the AA site (using the record locator number provided by BA) to add your AAdvantage number.
  • NOTE: Deleting your BAEC number prevents future modification of the award through the BA site or app. If there is any possibility that you may need to cancel, leave your BAEC number in until your plans are firm (or until the 24-hour advance deadline for canceling, whichever comes earlier) and then add your AA number, ideally through AA’s very responsive Twitter liaisons. Otherwise, you will need to call BA & likely suffer a lengthy hold time.
  • Members with BA household accounts may not be able to delete the BAEC number. In this event, contact AA via Twitter or phone to make the change.
I want to change my seat but the BA site never gave me an AA record locator. What's the solution?
Look up your reservation on the AA site using the BA record locator. You can also go to "Manage My Booking" on the BA site; simply select the desired booking (you may need to click the large plus sign at the right), click "Choose Seats," and then follow the prompts. You will be redirected automatically to the AA site, where you can also view your AA record locator and add your AAdvantage member number to the reservation.

How can I accumulate Avios?
  • Fly British Airways.
  • Credit OneWorld flights to British Airways.
  • Open a Chase British Airways credit card, ideally with a generous sign up bonus.
  • Move Chase Ultimate Reward points (CSP, Ink Plus, Ink Preferred) to your BA account.
  • Move AMEX Membership Rewards points to your BA account, preferably during the 2-3 times a year when a bonus is offered.
  • Move Marriott points to your BA account. 60K Marriott points yields 25K BA Avios.
  • Form a household account (see BA forum for discussion) so that miles can be pooled.
Print Wikipost

Booking American Airlines awards

Old May 26, 2023, 4:34 am

deleted

Last edited by beltway; Apr 5, 2024 at 1:45 pm
Old May 26, 2023, 11:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by beltway
I suggest contacting AA. Via Twitter DM is better IMO because you don’t need to wait on hold. Either way, AA can definitely change the associated FF#.
Yes, AA can. The question is: Will they? From the AAdvantage Program terms and conditions:

"Additionally, you cannot redeem partner airline miles with your partner frequent flyer number and obtain AAdvantage® program benefits such as priority boarding and access to preferred seats."

Source:

https://www.aa.com/i18n/aadvantage-p...conditions.jsp

(Listed under "Earning AAdvantage miles.")
Old May 26, 2023, 2:53 pm

Old Jul 8, 2023, 7:24 am

I am planning a trip to MCO early next year. I have managed to get what I consider to be a good suitable flight using Avios/241 in F to DFW and I have been looking for an award flight from DFW to MCO and there is not much to choose from.

I have however now spied a DFW-MCO Y award flight that is 4 hours after the BA193 arrives, the last flight of the day. Ideally I would like to stay overnight and get a flight the following day but no suitable Awards are available.

I know there is no 'protection' for this but what if any assistance will AA be likely to give me in the event that I miss the onwards flight?

On the return leg, I have found an award flight the day before my return transatlantic leg.

Also, should I book the DFW-MCO-DFW award as a return or 2 singles - would they cancel the return if I don't make the outward?
Old Jul 8, 2023, 8:20 am

SandLake likes this.

Old Jul 8, 2023, 10:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by SandLake
I am planning a trip to MCO early next year. I have managed to get what I consider to be a good suitable flight using Avios/241 in F to DFW and I have been looking for an award flight from DFW to MCO and there is not much to choose from.

I have however now spied a DFW-MCO Y award flight that is 4 hours after the BA193 arrives, the last flight of the day. Ideally I would like to stay overnight and get a flight the following day but no suitable Awards are available.
I would book that Y award now, but keep monitoring award availability with Avios for the following day. It would only cost you $5.60 USD per person (or the GBP equivalent) to cancel the DFW-MCO award, and book a different one.

I would also keep an eye on cash fares for the DFW-MCO route.

Finally, if you are planning to rent a car while in Florida, you might also check award availability for DFW-TPA.

Last edited by guv1976; Jul 8, 2023 at 10:14 am
Old Jul 8, 2023, 10:16 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Platinum

Book as two one ways, if you miss the outbound flight at least your return is still valid.

AA is a little more forgiving than BA on missed flights. They have an unpublished flat tire rule that means they will frequently put you on the next available flight on the same day if space is available and you arrive within about 2 hours of the original flight time. But that won’t help you in your situation because if you are only two hours late you will make the flight and you are already on the last flight of the day. In any case that is never a guaranteed outcome. You could get lucky with an agent willing to put you on a flight the next day, but again that would be down to luck.

AA award availability changes all the time. Keep looking for better options on a frequent basis. It’s not unusual for award availability to change within the same day, and daily changes are almost a given these days. I have seen inexpensive awards become available on sold out flights days before departure so never give up. If you have AA miles use those to book. You can cancel last minute for free and will find a lot more availability than there is using Avios. Also, look at refundable fares for the next day as a back up, sometimes they can be quite inexpensive and can be refunded if you don’t need it. Also, look at buying travel insurance with coverage for missed connections. Many offer benefits with as a little a 3 hour delay, that would cover you if you misconnect.

With 4 hours contingency you should be fine, but always good to have Plan B.
Ancient Observer likes this.
Old Jul 8, 2023, 10:34 am

deleted

Last edited by beltway; Apr 5, 2024 at 1:44 pm
Old Jul 8, 2023, 10:37 am

I have to say, these are all first world problems and I quite enjoy navigating around them

I have gone ahead and booked the flights as 2 singles. I did think I had 4 hours between flights but I actually have 5.5 hours.

On balance the A380 flight to Dallas seems to keep pretty good time, the last 15 flights have all been under an hour late with most of them on time.

Thanks for all the advice
Old Jul 8, 2023, 10:41 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Platinum
As an F passenger you should have access to the DFW Flagship lounge. That’s a very decent lounge, make sure you use it over the BA lounge or Admirals Club.
Old Jul 8, 2023, 10:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by SandLake
I have gone ahead and booked the flights as 2 singles. I did think I had 4 hours between flights but I actually have 5.5 hours.
Should your BA flight operate on or close to schedule, and you get through immigration and customs quickly, bear in mind that AA offers free standby on an earlier flight to all passengers -- even those without elite status. Of course, by that point, there might not be very desirable seats available in Coach.

Edited to add:

If you currently have elite status (Silver or higher) in BAEC, you can go ahead and select Main Cabin Extra (extra-leg-room) seats NOW at no extra charge on your AA flights.

Last edited by guv1976; Jul 8, 2023 at 10:58 am
Old Jul 13, 2023, 8:58 am

Hey there,
I was looking at MIA - SKB and keep getting this "Sorry there is a problem with booking this journey online. Try selecting other flights"
I Googled this and it seems to be a common issue. Not sure why it's erroring out. Another route, MIA - AUA (Aruba) was erroring out as well but when I tried a random US domestic flight it is pricing out correctly. Also, I tried MIA - SKB on IB and am able to price it out. Not really familiar with the award charts for each, so not sure if that would be the same cost. Is this something that if I call in BA support should be able to ticket? Thank you!

Old Jul 13, 2023, 10:47 am

Programs: Lemonia. Best Greek ever.
May I say a great big "Thank you" to all contributors on this thread?

I am new at creating Avios based internal USA flights, and after reading this lot, I feel much more confident. Thank you. (Altho' cash on some routes looks v good value compared to European norms)
Old Jul 13, 2023, 11:10 am

Programs: BA Gold; Hilton Honors Diamond
fieldfreen for something like this I would call BA to see if they can book it over the phone.

Ancient Observer using Avios for domestic US flights with AA can be very good value indeed and with the TFCs being low there's really very little penalty if you need to cancel them. Availability does fluctuate quite wildly though so if you see flights that match what you're looking for it's best to book them and not assume they'll still be around later.
fieldfreen likes this.
Old Jul 13, 2023, 12:47 pm

[QUOTE=Geordie405;35410372]fieldfreen for something like this I would call BA to see if they can book it over the phone.

Thank you Geordie405, I will give them a call and see if it can be done.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.